Netflix on the Joey

CyberSpock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
US
We had trouble with Netflix on the Hopper 3 until we pulled ethernet and stopped trying wifi.

Now on the Joey we can watch for around an hour then it begins to studder and freeze. If we do a Netflix network check it says it's not connected to the internet. But the Joey/settings/internet says it is connected. The only way out of this is to reboot or power cycle the Joey.

Are Netflix problems on the Joey ongoing or should we consider asking Dish for a replacement? I'm not really in the mood to power cycle everything on the phone call since we've already isolated the problem.

We had trouble with Netflix on the Hopper 3 until we pulled ethernet and stopped trying wifi.

Now on the Joey we can watch for around an hour then it begins to studder and freeze. If we do a Netflix network check it says it's not connected to the internet. But the Joey/settings/internet says it is connected. The only way out of this is to reboot or power cycle the Joey.

Are Netflix problems on the Joey ongoing or should we consider asking Dish for a replacement? I'm not really in the mood to power cycle everything on the phone call since we've already isolated the problem.
The problem is an on-going one. Better to just watch on another smart device or a Roku/Fire stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
My wife watches Netflix on Joey almost daily and doesn't have these issues. I assume you are using the Moca connection for the Joey?

Reactions: charlesrshell
My wife watches Netflix on Joey almost daily and doesn't have these issues. I assume you are using the Moca connection for the Joey?
Yes I use the cable only. Is there another way to connect the Joey?

One thing I found is that it is slow to respond. If I press pause and it doesn't pause instantly, I press pause again. This seems to confuse it. It can get into a state where the video is paused but the audio keeps playing. This is just part of what seems to be broken.

Yes I use the cable only. Is there another way to connect the Joey?

One thing I found is that it is slow to respond. If I press pause and it doesn't pause instantly, I press pause again. This seems to confuse it. It can get into a state where the video is paused but the audio keeps playing. This is just part of what seems to be broken.

There are other ways but the aren’t officially supported.

Which hopper and which Joey do you have?

There are other ways but the aren’t officially supported.

Which hopper and which Joey do you have?

I dumped my Moca connection for Ethernet only connection on all my joeys. My system has been much more stable since doing that.

Techs that come in for unrelated calls are always surprised that the system can be configured by Ethernet only.

I dumped my Moca connection for Ethernet only connection on all my joeys. My system has been much more stable since doing that.

Techs that come in for unrelated calls are always surprised that the system can be configured by Ethernet only.

... When the users learn more about the system that the techs.

My experience was using the second ethernet port on the Hopper 3 as a pass thru to my Yamaha v671. All I found by searching was that you can't do that. Then why is it working? Because I tried it.

Last night I watched 3 hours on the Joey with no glitching. That doesn't mean the problem has gone away. But I'm wondering if it has to do with different media. Not everything is coded the same. Maybe some is more bandwidth. Heck, it might even be Netflix for that matter.

Reactions: HipKat
... When the users learn more about the system that the techs.

My experience was using the second ethernet port on the Hopper 3 as a pass thru to my Yamaha v671. All I found by searching was that you can't do that. Then why is it working? Because I tried it.

Last night I watched 3 hours on the Joey with no glitching. That doesn't mean the problem has gone away. But I'm wondering if it has to do with different media. Not everything is coded the same. Maybe some is more bandwidth. Heck, it might even be Netflix for that matter.
I've been rebooting my Joey before I start watching Netflix. Seems to help.

Today at our household we noticed they started to enforce the 2 screen limit. I checked and both the Hopper 3 and Joey 2 display this message as well. They offered a 3 dollar a month (instead of the normal 4 dollar) for 4 screens. It was instant. 12 dollars a year savings! Yea!

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)