Netflix own satellite one day?

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
This isn't FTA specific, but I wanted to post it in here with all the knowledgeable members in this section.

Would it be worth it for Netflix to launch their own satellite one day? Is this something they would even consider? I know they have instant play, but to get HD you need a super high speed connection. And if you are on satellite internet, forget about watching anything. I am not sure what the numbers are as far as people in the US or for that matter the world that still cannot get high speed...

Ultimately I bet Netflix wants to get rid of using snail mail for movies. I bet bandwidth is cheaper than postage, I could be wrong. Could or would Netflix ever consider launching their own satellite to compete with other services or even TV??

Maybe something like Starband type service, that could only access the Netflix website servers, as opposed to a TV satellite like Dish with OnDemand, that had no bandwidth limitations because they had the user-base and money from that user-base to provide the necessary capacity.

Last edited:
You don't need a superfast internet connection for netflix hd. I believe a 3 megabit connection would work. In most markets that is considered a slow connection. I highly doubt you will see them launch or lease a satellite. They have plenty of folks with internet connections to make a profit from.

I wish netflix would go out of business. Im really pist at them for running all the regular video stores out of business around here.

The whole problem for them in the future is internet delivered media. The Cable and Satellite companies hate Netflix, and can't compete with the mail order part of the business.

The second Netflix tries to focus entirly on internet streaming, the cable companies and possibly DISH and Directv with their internet streaming are going to put them out of business.

All the cable and satellite companies have to do is come out with their own streaming version of Netflix, and discount the hell out of it when you subscribe to a basic cable package and Netflix is finished!

dont they mail dvds for those without adequate internet ?

crackt out,.

Not all titles are available on DVD and streaming. It seams like most new releases are on DVD and some older ones are available both ways. I do not understand how they figure what is available how. We wanted to watch Gilligan's Island with my daughter and it was available only on DVD!!!

I have Roadrunner internet through TWC and Netflix comes in just as good if not better than pizza. The cable "hub" is less than a mile from me might help as well. I am very surprised when talking to people on how crappy Netflix comes in for them even with high speed internet. It must depend on the area and how many people on a cable run as to how good it can be received.

Last Christmas (2009) I had 3 different brands of bluray players I was trying out. I was very surprised that I could run all 3 at the same time on Netflix without any problems!

We have Netflix and really enjoy it! :D

I wish netflix would go out of business. Im really pist at them for running all the regular video stores out of business around here.

In my area I think that Red Box is a bigger threat than Netflix.

In nearby Erie they lost Reel Entertainment, Hollywood Video, A Blockbuster or 2, and a few independents. Another chain called Family Video has been popping up in the area and are doing well. Even in the local small town of Girard they have 1 independent, Family Video and Red Box. They all seem busy however I think the independent will eventually loose out.

Netflix is a bargain especially compared to cable and pizza! The picture quality is much better than most cable here and rivals pizza! I hope they do not go under! 4DTV (Hopefully upcoming packages are decent) along with FTA and Netflix makes quite a entertainment lineup!!!... :popcorn

For us here out in the sticks, Netflix has been a God-send.

We still have dirt roads here in the Golden Valley AZ, 20 miles to either "major" city (what a laugh at that one) and 90 miles from the nearest Big City, Las Vegas.

When it rains here, the first sprinkles will often knock our (let's pretend we have a REAL) electric company down for hours.

We just got home mail delivery a little more than two years ago. But if a package needs a signature, we have to drive 40 miles round trip to the Post Office if we miss the carrier.

Shopping is done once a week, so we post notes at the bulletin board on what is needed and the night before, we make a HUGE shopping list. There is NO running to the market for that forgotten milk or bread. You get it or do without til the next weeks run to town.

Got the idea?

I first heard about Netflix about a year ago around Phottoettes Birthday, and she got the new TV for the living room, plus a BluRay player. We were already members (two months) of Netflix so it was a big deal for us to have streaming video to the TV. And since we use our cell phones instead of a home land line (no land line, $50 per month for basic services, and taxes, WAY too expensive), we looked at cable for the internet.

We can normally get two disks per week because we are so close to the distro point (Las Vegas) so turnaround time is very quick, but the streaming video ... I think we watch something every night (except Tuesday ... that's NCIS and NCIS LA).

There is no Red Box here, no video store near us, and I refuse to pay for dish or direct. For us it's OTA, FTA, and Netflix. With their new pricing we pay $9.98 per month, that's $119.76 per year. PER YEAR! Our total home entertainment cost.

In other words, Claude Greiner (with my tongue firmly attached to my cheek), I would HATE to see Netflix go under.

For us, it's OTA, FTA and Netflix, and we get everything we want with very little money spent.

Photto

Last edited:
Phottoman said:
For us here out in the sticks, Netflix has been a God-send.

We still have dirt roads here in the Golden Valley AZ, 20 miles to either "major" city (what a laugh at that one) and 90 miles from the nearest Big City, Las Vegas.

When it rains here, the first sprinkles will often knock our (let's pretend we have a REAL) electric company down for hours.

We just got home mail delivery a little more than two years ago. But if a package needs a signature, we have to drive 40 miles round trip to the Post Office if we miss the carrier.

Shopping is done once a week, so we post notes at the bulletin board on what is needed and the night before, we make a HUGE shopping list. There is NO running to the market for that forgotten milk or bread. You get it or do without til the next weeks run to town.

Got the idea?

I first heard about Netflix about a year ago around Phottoettes Birthday, and she got the new TV for the living room, plus a BluRay player. We were already members (two months) of Netflix so it was a big deal for us to have streaming video to the TV. And since we use our cell phones instead of a home land line (no land line, $50 per month for basic services, and taxes, WAY too expensive), we looked at cable for the internet.

We can normally get two disks per week because we are so close to the distro point (Las Vegas) so turnaround time is very quick, but the streaming video ... I think we watch something every night (except Tuesday ... that's NCIS and NCIS LA).

There is no Red Box here, no video store near us, and I refuse to pay for dish or direct. For us it's OTA, FTA, and Netflix. With their new pricing we pay $9.98 per month, that's $119.76 per year. PER YEAR! Our total home entertainment cost.

In other words, Claude Greiner (with my tongue firmly attached to my cheek), I would HATE to see Netflix go under.

For us, it's OTA, FTA and Netflix, and we get everything we want with very little money spent.

Photto

...and your internet in this location is fast enough for netflix? I wish that was true here. And I'm only 12 miles from town.

I have a 100 mbit connection and it is not cheap. As these connections become cheaper in the near future, the younger generations, who are able to adopt the new technology, will see no need for anything that comes from the sky or through the air. Forget Netflix. There exists free HD streaming sites out there that compliment FTA. If I want a new movie that was just released on DVD, I use streaming. If I want HD animals, I watch PBS on AMC 21. Even the networks provide free HD streaming so you can see the latest episodes of Big Bang Theory, but they force to watch the same commercials that you would see on cable.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens to NetFlix when they have to renegotiate their contracts with all the studios for products. I don't think any of the studios anticipated how quickly HSI would roll out and how quickly NetFlix would have to adapt their business plan.

IMHO I think the studios will force NetFlix towards a PPV model where they will have to charge viewers $3 - $7 per title for just like the satellite and cable companies.

For now the last thing the studios want is NetFlix to kill HBO, Showtime, Cinemax. Without the movie channels the CATV and Satellite companies have less revenue with less product to sell.

Enjoy the bargain that Netflix is today because in a year when their contracts expire I bet it will be a whole new deal. Studios don't need Netflix because the business isn't profitable, particularly if Netflix doesn't buy as many DVDs but instead streams the product. If people can't get the movies they want they will subscribe to a movie service or do PPVs. Netflix on the other hand needs the studio's products and it will be on the studios's terms.

Jim

For now the last thing the studios want is NetFlix to kill HBO, Showtime, Cinemax. Without the movie channels the CATV and Satellite companies have less revenue with less product to sell.

"For now" are the key words. It will be a painful transition, but cable and dish TV services will die eventually. Netflix is already partnered with Starz. It's not much of a stretch to think that HBO, Showtime, etc could be an add-on, if not to Netflix then to Vudu/Amazon/etc. There could be a huge amount of fragmentation in transition, but eventually it wll settle down into a few major on-line streaming services that we will think of much as we do D*/E*/Cable now.

I doubt there will be any real money savings once it all shakes out - the dollars to pay for the content have to come from somewhere.

I don't miss the local video stores. They were dishonest in their operation. I remember being at the store right at opening time only to find the new releases for that date were already rented out. The store owners and/or management had the inside track so they got all their family members and friends first shot at the new releases before anyone else had a chance. That's the reason why I stopped renting from the local stores and went with Netflix.

Not all titles are available on DVD and streaming. It seams like most new releases are on DVD and some older ones are available both ways. I do not understand how they figure what is available how. We wanted to watch Gilligan's Island with my daughter and it was available only on DVD!!!

I have Roadrunner internet through TWC and Netflix comes in just as good if not better than pizza. The cable "hub" is less than a mile from me might help as well. I am very surprised when talking to people on how crappy Netflix comes in for them even with high speed internet. It must depend on the area and how many people on a cable run as to how good it can be received.

Last Christmas (2009) I had 3 different brands of bluray players I was trying out. I was very surprised that I could run all 3 at the same time on Netflix without any problems!

We have Netflix and really enjoy it! :D

As long as there's no "hiccup" or speed change the streaming works good. Otherwise, Netflix has to "re-calibrate" the buffer which interrupts your viewing experience.

...and your internet in this location is fast enough for netflix? I wish that was true here. And I'm only 12 miles from town.

Yes, we had to up the service to faster speed than the 'norm.' We now have the third fastest speed that is offered bu the cable company, but the cost is still $39 per month. The cable company was bought out about three years ago, just after I moved here, and they tried awful hard to get me to sign up. I told them no thanks, and two weeks later when they came back, I had removed the old DTV from the roof, and had put in two of my KU band dishes. The guy came in the house and I showed him what I was getting legally and free, he was amazed. Then the fiasco with the phone company hit us and their contract expired, so I called the guy at the cable company and he was out within an hour surveying the site.

It turned out he had to run cable from almost a mile away, but he did it at his expense, hoping that he'd get more customers out this way.

We are about four miles from their office, if that means anything, and last week SUBWAY opened a new restaurant out here.

See, we ARE getting this small place into the 21st century.

Photto

As long as there's no "hiccup" or speed change the streaming works good. Otherwise, Netflix has to "re-calibrate" the buffer which interrupts your viewing experience.

We had Netflix for over a year now and it lost connection maybe 5 times total. That is not bad for someone is usually watching something everyday on it! Another great thing is that there is never a "buffering" message showing up like streaming video on a computer.

I forgot to list other sources for our TV entertainment. We also have OTA channels and ITC QAM channels on cable along with 4DTV, FTA and Netflix!

we have verizon DSL barely reaching 1.5Mb and we watch streaming NETFLIX through the PS3 (I don't think it was HD). I was surprised it even worked, but works fine nary a stutter or any buffering (even Surfed during playback).
Yea, I don't think they need a SATELLITE, they just hope everyone gets more bandwidth.
We are rural, STILL no CABLE, analog ANTENNAE TV was terrible (digital is better), Over half our road cannot get DSL(dialup or SAT internet only) we were the last to get it and we ran a PETITION to get it (the installer said his boss CUTOFF any more DSL on our road) - POINT IZ - I really doubt we will ever get more than 1.47Mb where we live unless the govt intervenes and they never intervened with cable co's.

PS3 has PPV television shows and movies... NEVER gonna fly here, I see no value in paying for television entertainment in such a meager increment (1 show at a time) and the current cost for streaming movies seems high. I also don't buy one song (i want to hear an artist's range of material, aka an album). Call me old skool if u wish but these companies need to make PACKAGES too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)