Netflix Prices Increase

Are you adding in the cost of the internet or just the cost of the streaming apps.
Are you not going to have Internet service if you don't use streaming apps? Or would you choose a cheaper tier? I personally would have the same Internet plan whether I watched streaming services or just had cable/satellite, so it is not a factor for me but may be for others.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Are you adding in the cost of the internet or just the cost of the streaming apps.

Are you not going to have Internet service if you don't use streaming apps? Or would you choose a cheaper tier? I personally would have the same Internet plan whether I watched streaming services or just had cable/satellite, so it is not a factor for me but may be for others.
Same for me, I have 1G speed because I want 1G speed, it has nothing to do with us going streaming only, if I had Dish I would still have 1G speed ( when we went streaming only years ago, we only had 100 download because that was the fastest at the time).

I am always amazed that those who have Traditional Providers always brings up the costs of broadband as a negative to those of us that are streaming only, the majority of the population have and need broadband.

The other thing is, I could easily afford Dish or whatever, I prefer streaming, I like it so much better, we watch lots of 4K and cannot get that with Traditional Providers, the picture is so much better with the apps, most everything is in 1080P or 4K.

Lastly if jerryez wants to know what I pay with Broadband included, $130 a month in real money because of the gift card loophole ( use points from credit cards to buy gift cards) and we have YTTV, Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, CBS, HBO MAX and from that list, the first thing I could drop is YTTV but the wife likes having a live TV service.

My complaint with Netflix is with their library. I subbed to the discs at a time service, for years. I tried out the streaming and found much of the old disc library they have is not on streaming. Why not? I figure in this day, anything that was on disc should be on streaming. I am sure it comes down to complicated licensing rules. I am one of the old timers who could care less about 4K. Even if a rare old show is in SD, that is okay, as long as it is available. One thing I do not like about Disney as they are not releasing much of their old library. Disney claims they want to put it in 4K. That is fine, but why not release it in SD or HD, and then slowly convert it to a high resolution in time? That way we at least get the watch it.
Streaming still has a long way to go.

I have 200/10 internet from WOW! that I pay $54.99/month. Add Philo ($20/month), Netflix ($13.99/month), HBOMax ($14.99/month), Amazon Prime (yearly sub @ $126.14 which includes tax, $10.51/month) and Acorn TV ($59.99 yearly sub, $5/month) and we pay $119.48/month total! I see plenty of people on these forums who pay that much or more per month just for sat tv.

There are number of reasons why Netlix doesn't just offer ever piece of content they could get access to all the time. The biggest reason is licensing costs. Every month Netflix carries a piece of content, they have to pay the content owner for that privilege. If they offered more than they do, it would probably hurt profitability. Instead they rotate in older content and remove other older content periodically.

I am one of the old timers who could care less about 4K. Even if a rare old show is in SD, that is okay, as long as it is available. One thing I do not like about Disney as they are not releasing much of their old library. Disney claims they want to put it in 4K. That is fine, but why not release it in SD or HD, and then slowly convert it to a high resolution in time? That way we at least get the watch it.
Streaming still has a long way to go.
If your internet connection isn't fast enough to stream a 4K title in 4K, it will just reduce the resolution and bitrate down to whatever your connection can handle. Maybe HD, maybe even SD. Same with HD. Might drop from 1080p to 720p or even down to SD. Having a slower internet connection doesn't keep you from accessing any of the titles on Disney+, Netflix, etc. It just means that you'll get lesser picture quality and maybe longer buffering times at the start of the video.

Probably limited demand. Many older shows don't have much of an audience, thus there is less incentive to pay for and carry them.

That is true. But services like Pluto, Xumo, etc carry a lot of older TV shows. So why shouldn't Netflix?
There are so many different on-demand streaming services now, including lots of niche ones targeting different specific tastes/audiences. What we haven't seen yet (but eventually will, I imagine) is a service that targets classic TV fans. Imagine a service that offered a lot of the series that are carried on stations like MeTV, Cozi TV, Antenna TV, GetTV, etc., plus a bunch of old movies. Given that an increasing number of older Americans are cutting the cord, I could see a service like that doing well.

As it stands now, you have those classic series scattered between Peacock, Hulu, Paramount+, etc., while I'm sure many of them aren't available for on-demand streaming anywhere yet.

That is true. But services like Pluto, Xumo, etc carry a lot of older TV shows. So why shouldn't Netflix?
Netflix is famously "trying to turn into HBO before HBO turns into Netflix" (or something like that). Old TV doesn't really fit the brand they are trying to build. They will probably always have some, but I doubt it will ever be a primary focus for them. The most disappointing part is they had a really great classic movie collection (thanks to Starz?) when they first started streaming. I miss that.

Netflix is famously "trying to turn into HBO before HBO turns into Netflix" (or something like that). Old TV doesn't really fit the brand they are trying to build. They will probably always have some, but I doubt it will ever be a primary focus for them. The most disappointing part is they had a really great classic movie collection (thanks to Starz?) when they first started streaming. I miss that.
I think you are exactly right. My son and I were looking through Amazon Prime last night and we were amazed by the amount of older shows they had that used to be on Netflix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts