Netflix Raises Fees for Blu-Ray...AGAIN!!!

Got mine, going to Blockbuster

1px_transparent.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Dear Robert,

You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 4 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $5 a month. The price of your 4 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $23.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $5 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team
[/FONT]

I had Blockbuster and I was paying, I think 11.99 for one at a time. No extra charge for Blu ray. I could exchange up to 2 disks a month for free. Over the 2 disks they charge 1.99. Over all I think the service was pretty good. A few disks would have short wait on them. Most did not. I canceled the service because I got laid off. Part of that Circuit City group. When I canceled all the blu ray movies I had listed were listed as available. Hope this helps. If I was working I would go back in a heartbeat.

Just heard the news on the latest BR increase. When did they implement the $1 fee for any BR discs wasn't that just a few months ago?

Have to wonder when they start to charge for the watch now service??
Not good.

Well, no way am I paying $28.99 for 4 at a time. I usually only watch 3 at the MOST, so Ill just downgrade($20.99 isnt bad for 3, but $29 for 4, come on!). Pretty ridiculous though. I might even drop back to two and retest BB Online. Or, we just got a new "Movie Tavern" with digital projectors, might just start seeing movies again.

netflix-blu-ray-price-increase.jpg

For one-at-a-time, it's still a pretty good deal compared to how much it would cost to rent BDs at a local video store (or even PPV). It just makes me hesitate to increase my sub or buy a Roku if they are so prone to raising prices for BD access this frequently. We all better hope Blockbuster doesn't go under, or we might be looking at some serious price increases for all levels of service.

For one-at-a-time, it's still a pretty good deal compared to how much it would cost to rent BDs at a local video store (or even PPV). It just makes me hesitate to increase my sub or buy a Roku if they are so prone to raising prices for BD access this frequently. We all better hope Blockbuster doesn't go under, or we might be looking at some serious price increases for all levels of service.

Yepp.

Hey, Im always changing things due to prices. The still high blu-ray discs, and the now high Netflix plan, make the movie theater start looking good again. The Sun-Thu Movie Tavern pricing is not bad, $8 per ticket and $3 per beer ;)

I'm kinda ticked. I don't see the real justification.

"Blu-rays cost more" Bull-frakking-crap. Blu-rays now cost what DVD's did only a couple years ago. They didn't charge more for the service then, did they? Now DVD's (still 90% of their business, btw) cost way less, partly due to the pressure from Blu-ray.

Maybe they should lower the price of DVD-only subs at the same time? Anyone think they will do that? I didn't think so.

Grab your ankles, Blu-ray lovers.

Wait, just wait. There will eventually be a charge for the online streaming service.

Just last week I changed from the 2 at a time to the 1 at a time to save a couple dollars, looks like they figured how to get part of that back;) But if they also start to charge for the streaming also not sure if I'd keep them.

There was a news article over at DSLReports where someone figured out how much it cost NetFlix to stream a movie, just considering the bandwidth costs, and IIRC it was under 10 cents. So the cost savings over snail mail might help them decide to keep it free.

I just checked and my next cycle starts on 4/26, so Ill be downgrading to 2 at a time on the 24th :)

I only need two anyways. See how the price strategy helps them when everyone downgrades 1 or 2 tiers :D

If we keep Netflix we may drop down to 2 discs out at a time. We have 4 discs out at a time now (2 of us each have 2 at a time).

Just dropped Blu Ray access which hurts but I refuse to accept price increase after price increase especially in these economic times. If Blockbuster had as many Hindi movies as Netflix I would be gone now..Only 15.99 for 3 at a time including Blu Ray.....

I suspect they want to take advantage of people going out less because of the economy; won't be surprised to see inceases in regular services soon. Perhaps BD subs are a test.

Perhaps it's finally time to make the big "commitment" and combine my service with my GF's, especially since I'm the one picking all the movies that go in her queue anyway. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts