Netflix stock collapses after 4th quarter earnings report

Not really the same thing, options like that will come and go. If they say 'what is streaming' you've got a case, but that's obviously not going to happen.

My kids are more likely to be able to say 'what was DirecTV?' by the time they're shopping for service for themselves in a decade or so, presuming Dish has a more stable business of the of the 'luxury' providers a 'handful' subscribe to and they merge at some point.
Whats a Black and White TV ....
Hows that for a question from your kids.

Or for that matter, show them an old Land line phone and see if they know how to use it ?

Or, even, pull a number out of THIER Phone and ask them if they know who that number belongs too.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Whats a Black and White TV ....
Hows that for a question from your kids.

Or for that matter, show them an old Land line phone and see if they know how to use it ?

Or, even, pull a number out of THIER Phone and ask them if they know who that number belongs too.
How is this for kids born recently-
What is a DVD?

I mean, it's only because not all streaming apps have a convenient 'start from beginning' option they probably even know what the word rewind means, lol.

Kids are growing up with this icon on their cell phones, I bet some don't even know why it's shaped like that, they've never used one.

1674584582133.png

• Haha
Reactions: Jimbo and TheKrell
CED was, IIRC, an RCA idea. Would physically wear out the discs. No doubt studios loved it. But very very few people bought it.

Here is a good article from March of 2017 highlighting the dismal sales and the amount of money RCA lost on the venture.

How is this for kids born recently-
What is a DVD?

Very true. I can remember walking into a video store with my wife when DVDs were new tech. When we asked the clerk where their DVD section was she had a blank look on her face and answered, 'DV what'? Now it is coming full circle and we are getting back to 'DV what' again. :(

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
Here is a good article from March of 2017 highlighting the dismal sales and the amount of money RCA lost on the venture.

I never had CED ( in 8th grade when it came out in 1981), but I did have Laser Discs, purchased my first player after we bought our first house in 1990, it was so much better then VHS, 425 lines of picture resolution vs 240 of VHS, letterbox, etc.

I remember there were even a few laser discs stores, including a great one in Novi, Michigan and one in Carmel, Indiana ( Indianapolis area) that I would go to when we visited my wife’s parents.

Then DVD came out, that started my rabbit hole into home theater.

Last edited:

Damn what a mess
Netflix up again today, while it is still down about 30 points from your link from a year ago, by the end of the year it should really hit all new highs, analysts are predicting a great year for it, as heard on Fox Business today.

Bruce- did you ever have an Advent Videobeam? Better yet, how about a Muntz projection TV?
I was a little young for both (late 70’s early 80’s, I was born in 67) and still could not afford them anyways, grew up very poor.

I did have a 13” Black and White TV with aluminum foil on the rabbit ears to get a better signal.

I had to use pliers to change the channel because the dials ( both VHF and UHF) were gone.

Not joking, always looked forward to the weekend, when I had to get out the toolbox to change the channels when monster movies were on the UHF Stations.

Remembering how I had to fine tune to get a UHF Station with a pair of needle nose, made me so happy when I finally got it.

did you ever have an Advent Videobeam?
That picture was amazing. I saw it in a high end stereo shop showing Olivia Newton John singing Physical and being quite physical about it. You could see every bead of sweat. Wow. And that was SD, too.

That picture was amazing. I saw it in a high end stereo shop showing Olivia Newton John singing Physical and being quite physical about it. You could see every bead of sweat. Wow. And that was SD, too.
I have seen them also back then, there was a high end stereo shop ( great for the time period ) next to a book store that I used to go to and they had all types of video devices , they also had the first Home Video Releases ( on either CED or laserdisc) of Star Wars and Raiders playing, believe it was 1982, I would watch them as long as I could before they kicked me out.

Reactions: TheKrell
The Advent 760 was my first projector TV. Finally got tired of repairing it and bought an Electrohome projector. That was my last floor mount projector. Had an Epson for awhile and then went 3D with a Sony. I'm on my 3rd Sony Projector now and really love the image.

While Netflix keeps raising its prices, I still think it is a bargain as we find new content every evening to watch. I have quite a few services including YouTube Premium. All things considered, these services are still get more for less money than Dish Network. But the best benefit of switching to all IPTV and local broadcast is no rain fade. Here in Florida my Dish Network would go dark every evening when the thunderstorms would roll through. I even had a 30" dish to increase signal and that didn't help. Bought an AppleTV and 4K Tivo system and don't miss Satellite TV from that day forward.

I could probably drop Starz and Showtime as we hardly ever watch those networks, but Netflix is one of the last I will drop.

The Advent 760 was my first projector TV. Finally got tired of repairing it and bought an Electrohome projector. That was my last floor mount projector. Had an Epson for awhile and then went 3D with a Sony. I'm on my 3rd Sony Projector now and really love the image.
Just amazed at how prices are, that Advent was thousands back then, probably would be $40,000 in today’s dollars, but now, my Optoma Laser Projector that I use in my outdoor theater was $1499.

Love today’s world as far as Television goes.
While Netflix keeps raising its prices, I still think it is a bargain as we find new content every evening to watch.
They produce so much, still cannot catch up, also, no where else to get so much content in 4K.

I have quite a few services including YouTube Premium. All things considered, these services are still get more for less money than Dish Network.
You can get the vast majority of content on Live TV with the Hulu Bundle (Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+), Peacock, Paramount, AMC+ and Discovery+ Commercial Free with the exclusive stuff also, your total would only be $50 a month then and that is only if you got all those, I would never get/do not have/do not want AMC and Discovery.
But the best benefit of switching to all IPTV and local broadcast is no rain fade. Here in Florida my Dish Network would go dark every evening when the thunderstorms would roll through
Same issue many years ago in Michigan.
. I even had a 30" dish to increase signal and that didn't help. Bought an AppleTV and 4K Tivo system and don't miss Satellite TV from that day forward.
Rokus and Tablo here.
I could probably drop Starz and Showtime as we hardly ever watch those networks, but Netflix is one of the last I will drop.
What I plan to do is subscribe to Starz one month via Amazon, binge everything I want to watch that is available, cancel, move on to Epix/MGM, move on to AMC+, I will probably do that twice a year for each service.

Showtime I get with my yearly Paramount+, when I added it, the price was only $129 a year for both services.

Price for just Showtime via a provider is $10 a month I believe, so $120 for just Showtime.

Reactions: djont57
Just amazed at how prices are, that Advent was thousands back then,
I have trouble recalling those prices back in '78. I worked part time doing service for a high end audio store in Middletown NY and rather than take pay, I built up credits, based on commission and hours. Then I traded in my credits for merchandise. It's how I could afford the toys wealthy people were buying. But I believe the Advent was $3000 list.

Funny story on how I got the job. I was in the store when Earl Muntz was there showing his new Muntz projection TV cabinet. He had this big cabinet with a Sony 17" TV inside and the screen was reflected off a mirror back onto a 40" screen. One problem. The image was backwards. He and the store owner were brainstorming how to correct that with a second mirror. I was laughing on the sidelines when they noticed me. I said I can fix that for you. So I pulled the Sony TV out and opened it up and reversed the wires on the horizontal deflection yoke. They were impressed and I got the job rewiring a dozen of his TV's. I gave him instructions to take back to CA for his people to rewire the TV's at his factory. We sold those POS projector cabinets and never reordered. That's when the boss began selling the Advent and I took one home. He took the 750 and I got the 760.

Reactions: navychop