Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
As Netflix streaming will no longer be bundled with their disc-by-mail service all Netflix subs face this choice: Streaming or discs by mail? What's your choice?

I'm looking at Blockbuster, for now, I'm going from two at a time to one at a time and retaining streaming and blue ray. My cost won't change much that way.

I had streaming and dvd ( 1 out at a time ) Already dropped discs by mail. Will drop streaming as soon as teh kids go back to school.

I don't like the PQ of streaming movies. Blu-ray's PQ is a lot better. So I'll be sticking to Discs for now. Redbox is tempting. But I rent older stuff sometimes.

Same here, I can't find anything in the streaming library and I prefer the better sound and picture quality in a blu ray. I dropped streaming and I'm now paying $2.00 less than before the price increase. Comes Sept. 1, I'll be saving $8.00. :)

I am going with discs by mail. Not enough streaming for me.

I voted "Discs by mail" as I can't justify streaming on its own: the selection is too limited and I definitely prefer the picture and sound quality of Blu-ray or even DVD. Waiting a couple of days is not a problem for me.
However, since Netflix no longer offers any additional incentives to us, disc-by-mail subs, I may actually drop them completely and try BB instead.

I don't like the PQ of streaming movies. Blu-ray's PQ is a lot better. So I'll be sticking to Discs for now. Redbox is tempting. But I rent older stuff sometimes.

I'd disagree, not that blu-ray is better, but HD streaming on Netflix has been impressive for me, and often better quality than Dish Network.

But I am just using their streaming service. If I want a BD, I buy it. I am mostly using netflix to watch tv shows. And enjoying it.

I'd disagree, not that blu-ray is better, but HD streaming on Netflix has been impressive for me, and often better quality than Dish Network.

I agree. When you have a strong signal, its quite decent.

As to which I will keep, I am not sure. I currently have streaming with 1 disc out at a time.
I personally use streaming alot more than the discs as I have explained in other threads. I use that to catch up on tv shows that I have missed, and as far as discs go I dont watch alot of movies, so when the wife and I want to watch one, its impulsive and we just use Vudu.

However, there are some shows not available to stream and for that, the disc is the only other option.That is one gap that redbox couldnt fill (and our local Movie Gallery is no more)

So im either going to stick with the same plan that I have, or drop it altogether. Simply have not decided which.

I agree. When you have a strong signal, its quite decent.

As to which I will keep, I am not sure. I currently have streaming with 1 disc out at a time.
I personally use streaming alot more than the discs as I have explained in other threads. I use that to catch up on tv shows that I have missed, and as far as discs go I dont watch alot of movies, so when the wife and I want to watch one, its impulsive and we just use Vudu.

However, there are some shows not available to stream and for that, the disc is the only other option.That is one gap that redbox couldnt fill (and our local Movie Gallery is no more)

So im either going to stick with the same plan that I have, or drop it altogether. Simply have not decided which.

I miss Movie Gallery. That game/movie pass they had was awesome.

I had Netflix in around 2003. The DVD by mail service was pretty good, but I ran out of time to sit down and watch movies so I eventually canceled. I had the 3 out at a time plan which I believe was $20. I signed up last month to try out their online streaming which everyone seems to love and praise. It’s going to kill traditional pay TV! Well I couldn’t have been more disappointed with Netflix streaming. I wasn’t expecting their entire DVD library to be available online, but I was expecting a lot more then there actually is. I found absolutely zero value in the service, I wouldn’t pay $8 buck for it, hell I would even take it if it was free which I why canceled my free trial about half way in. Netflix, in any form was simply not worth it to me with their previous pricing structure and it sure as hell ain't worth it now. I'd rather just subscribe to the movie channels and rent blu rays from Redbox.

Right now I am watching the first season of LOST, in 5.1 HD, with a crisp picture, and looking forward over the next several months to re-watching the entire season. Queued up are also Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, and Jericho. $8/month is cheap for the quality entertainment I can get.

I used to have the DVD service from Netflix when it first came out, and it was very frustrating, hard to get the movies I wanted, and the discs were often in really bad shape when they arrived. But we were in Colorado and didn't have a lot of options. No interest in the discs today, but the streaming seems like a bargain. Might cancel a movie channel or two from Dish as well.

Total agreement, Mike. I think those who like Netflix and will cancel on the principal are just cutting off their nose to spite their face. So far, no one has offered a more competitive alternative. I only signed up for the BD mail order because Netflix often has BluRay titles that Blockbuster doesn't get. Good example is the recent release of Sniper Reloaded. Some are foreign language which is not of interest but overall the offering WAS a great deal for those titles. But with the price increase, I'll have to decide whether to continue. Definitly continuing the Streaming as this is a super bargain if you have good broadband internet. I understand there are a few who still use dialup speed so none of the internet really matters anyway.

With 23 million subscribers, how many will cancel altogether? couple thousand? Big deal, Netflix gives the first month away free with coupon and often opens that up as a standard price to boost sales often. As an old dog at TV advertising, I have to wonder how all the press ( seemingly bad) has given them new customers who never thought about Netflix streaming until this news broke out. All the new panel TV's today have Netflix as a channel making access very convenient. On my new monitor I just hit the "Netflix" button on my remote and the TV is connected to my wifi and up pops the selection menu of thousands of programs. My concern is NOT how many DVD subscribers they will lose, but with the new thrust on streaming all their library and the rapid growth of streaming, how often are we going to experience the likes of the streaming outage we had Sunday night for 6 hours? I hope they are working hard and fast to beef up their uploading of streaming content.

I was surprised to see The Fighter being offered for streaming. I believe this is the first time ever I have found a movie that I would actually stream that is available or I haven't already seen. Still, a few buck a month for one movie a year worth watching is definitely not worth it

I was surprised to see The Fighter being offered for streaming. I believe this is the first time ever I have found a movie that I would actually stream that is available or I haven't already seen. Still, a few buck a month for one movie a year worth watching is definitely not worth it

Yes, we get that you don't like Netflix streaming already...... :rolleyes:

We'll be keeping the streaming & 1 dvd plan. We use both & feel it is still a good value for us. I have noticed many new arrivals on the streaming side are the same movies that are playing on platinum. If I drop anything it will be platinum after my credits from absolute run out.

My selection isn't there. Streaming ONLY has been an option for a long time and that is what I have. I selected "keeping" streaming only as it was the closest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)