Netflix to split DVD business? Not any more!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

I saw that in this morning's report and if we put the idea into perspective, very little of it has merit. The idea was floated in the blogger news by only one of many analysts following the Netflix saga. The analyst conveniently forgot history where 11 months ago Hastings said he planned to do this split. We just didn't know when. There is still one important factor in the Netflix market that is missing because we don't have any data yet. That is the number of subscriber gains in the 43 new countries including Canada that Netflix recently turned on. Next year Netflix plans to expand into Asia and Europe. This is why the company has a real growth ahead now. The loss of revenue for the 1 million US subscribers is small potatoes compared to where they are planning to be in 2 years. The only real thing that has changed is the short term perspective and the hugely bad press they have gotten over all of this. Generally people are dollar foolish and penny wise. They panic and cancel a service they used for $8 a month so they can have a lower quality service with fewer selections for $10 a month with a company that has a track record of raising prices every February. I suspect these are the same people who buy lottery tickets thinking they have a good chance to win. They don't know math! Those who really don't use the service and cancelled are indeed justified. I suspect many of them got into Netflix during the free month promo and never cancelled plus forgot they were signed up because most never saw the Netflix $9.99 charge on the CC. But with 30 seconds of every minute in the news about how awful Netflix was in price increases, it made them look, and they saw a way to afford two cups of coffee each month at Starbucks.

It was only a matter of time before Netflix take over rumors get started. Are these rumors bad? Probably not because what I see is it arrested the plummeting stock and has raised some future projections, by one analyst from $100 a share to $155. For now it looks like the stock has bottomed out. Time to buy a little and see where it will go over the next week. With Dish announcement tomorrow, I do expect it to fall a bit more. Just have to keep in mind this massive stock falling is due to panic in a really volatile market caused not by the wall street economy but rather the government intervention, doomsday reporting, and not accomplishing anything. The least little negative news by anyone nobody has ever heard of causes a stock to fall off the cliff. The least little negativity from people we do know, like the FED chairman, causes the entire market to fall off the cliff, like the past two days. Next week we will be headed to the rumors of government shutdown, again, and again as our government continues to squabble. Meanwhile people continue to shop, people continue to buy and companies continue to rack up cash reserves afraid to hire because the government fails to govern. In the smaller scale- I continue to get my Netflix BD and I continue to see more and more movie selections show up on my Netflix.

But, I have to really doubt this theory. It would be less expensive for Amazon to just license the same content that netflix licensed, rather than pay an inflated price to buy it via netflix. Amazon is also a bigger brand than Netflix.

Licensing content doesn't automatically get you all of their customers though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'll put this article in the "Liar, Liar, Pants on fire" bin.

Not that I am inclined to watch multiple streams of Netflix at the same time on different devices but I can see how families would need such service. So, I just went to my account to see how it is listed. States I have DVD one out at a time with Blu Ray upgrade. Streaming is listed as "Unlimited" I pay with the new rates $19.24 with the tax.

Not convinced this is definitive, giving the article the benefit of the doubt I fired up Netflix on this computer and I began playing a selected starz Disney movie normally. Then I went to my ipad and began playing a second stream of a different movie with no trouble. Then I went to my Thunderbolt and discovered I had not installed a Netflix app yet so while the other two were playing I installed a Netflix app on my Thunderbolt. This phone is also connected with a completely different IP address through Verizon LTE. Logged into my account and played a third movie.

Maybe this is for new accounts only but my account about 13 months old, has truly unlimited streaming to multiple devices on the same or different IP's. Also, I continued to test and can easily load up 5 streaming devices simultaneously as easy as one.

Last year I also heard a rumor (blogger) described how Netflix wouldn't allow more than 5 devices to be registered per account. I have only one account and back then I had installed the Netflix playback on 9 devices. I think some of these wannabee reporters just make this stuff up without even testing their theories.

Next step: add free streaming to the disk by mail plan! ;)

Still, I think bundled service is the way to go.
Until Netflix offers an attractively priced service that combines both disk by mail and streaming, it won't be as attractive as it used to be.

I hope they still plan on adding game rentals to their service as mentioned in the original Qwikster announcement, which almost made it sound as though splitting disc and streaming made it possible to add games to the disc rental service:

One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done.
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

Still, I think bundled service is the way to go.
Until Netflix offers an attractively priced service that combines both disk by mail and streaming, it won't be as attractive as it used to be.
Agreed, the way it is written!

I read one analyst blog today on this I happen to agree with. He stated that it was a mistake for Netflix to split the two services in the eyes of the public. They could have achieved their goal behind the scenes in accounting procedures. To force an image change on a public who is traditionally against change was the real mistake. Some people wanted a bundled service, some wanted just the DVD mail business, and still others wanted just the streaming services. But they all seem to agree that forcing the customer to take a single everything service and making you work it as two accounts was a mistake.

As for price- most understand that if you really use a service such as disks by mail or streaming, it doesn't get any better than Netflix, both in selection and turnover. Those who compare Netflix mail DVD price with competitive services can easily see this. However, what people do dislike is that Netflix today compared with Netflix prior to the price increase is a big jump. But the reality is, the DVD mail business could not continue to work under those prices. Additionally, as the USPS suffers cutbacks the cost of shipping will continue to increase. As the studios want more and more money and increase wait times for new releases, the cost will continue to increase. Finally, the streaming customer growth continues to increase rapidly, while the DVD by mail went flat a year ago and is falling off. The days of DVD by mail are short and the rate increase has just breathed another year of so into the service.

But the reality is, the DVD mail business could not continue to work under those prices.
Ah... Depends on how you look at it. I was paying $9 for DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming, and now I'm paying $8 for DVDs by mail. So it would appear that $1 for unlimited streaming was way too low and the price went up 700% for you streaming junkies. ;)

The Krell- I look at it from the business perspective, not the customer. The DVD by mail has a fixed cost per unit mailed while the streaming is a diluted cost based on the number of subscribers. The more subscribers, the lower the streaming cost per subscriber resulting in higher profit. The only fixed costs in the metric is the streaming storage and bandwidth, i.e. the more they stream the higher that cost is, but it represents a much lower % of the gross revenue than the mail shipping, envelope and processing.

Nothing wrong with your perspective but unfortunately, that math will soon put the company out of business selling a service for too little margin. That's why the price for mail order had to go up (significantly) For those that didn't bother with mail DVD ( like my daughter and many of her young adult friends) the cost of streaming didn't change. They just took a part of the service away that she never used anyway.

That's why the price for mail order had to go up (significantly).
"Had to go up?" My price went down $1 when the streaming component was split off. I really don't understand your math at all! Are you predicting a big honking increase in my bill in the near future? Hastings says he's done with price hikes for the time being, so I don't think that will happen either.

Did you give up streaming? and just kept mail? If so yes your price should have gone down. duh!

IIRC- it was $9.99 for streaming and mail one at a time. When the charges split it became $7.99 for streaming and 7.99 for mail. (+$2 for BD) I have all three and that's what I pay. Prior I paid 9.99 plus $2 for BD. =$11.99( +tax)

I do believe my daughter's rate went down for streaming by $2. Sometimes she gets confused. Bottom line it used to be $10 a month for both services and now it's $16. That's where the press said the price increased 60% which is correct math.

I'm not predicting any "honking increase" However, I don't believe Netflix that there will never be another increase. The future is a long time.

I had hoped BBMP would be better on turn here and I was planning to drop Netflix Mail and save the $8 + $2 but unfortunately their service stinks and it looks like I'm going to average only 3 disks in 4 weeks while Netflix can do 8. In addition the newer releases are long wait.

Yes, I gave up on streaming (because of poor PQ on my LG BD player and my HTPC) and went with DVDs by mail only. Then I dropped Netflix due to the BBMP rollout, and then I added Netflix (by mail) back again because I have the anniversary freebie and I don't want to lose that.

Would you believe Netflix managed to delete everything in my old queue? They did! Apologized but claimed that their engineers can't get it back (which I don't believe for a minute) and this is happening to many former/renewing customers. Too many rapid changes (apparently) to keep their database backups up to date. They still hold my account rental history, and my past reviews. Queue is blank. :(

Yes, I gave up on streaming (because of poor PQ on my LG BD player and my HTPC) and went with DVDs by mail only. Then I dropped Netflix due to the BBMP rollout, and then I added Netflix (by mail) back again because I have the anniversary freebie and I don't want to lose that.

Would you believe Netflix managed to delete everything in my old queue? They did! Apologized but claimed that their engineers can't get it back (which I don't believe for a minute) and this is happening to many former/renewing customers. Too many rapid changes (apparently) to keep their database backups up to date. They still hold my account rental history, and my past reviews. Queue is blank. :(

What's the anniversary freebie?? I've been with them since 96 and don't ever recall receiving that....

If you put your account on hold they would still have your queue, but if you cancelled, well, hasta la vista, unfortunately.

yaz96 said:
What's the anniversary freebie?? I've been with them since 96 and don't ever recall receiving that....

If you put your account on hold they would still have your queue, but if you cancelled, well, hasta la vista, unfortunately.

I think he's referring to the Dish anniversary freebie. I'm assuming he's got Platinum free for a year and isn't eligible for BBMP without paying.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Dangue is exactly right.

Netflix states that they retain your queue for a year even if you cancel. I've gone and come back twice now, and they did not fumble the queue the 1st time. Their automatic rejoin wasn't working right either. It forced me onto the streaming-only plan, and I had to call to get the DVD plan reinstated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts