Netflix Users Favor HD DVD

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
A new report indicates that although only a tiny percentage of Netflix users are high-def early adopters, among them HD DVD appears to be favored over Blu-ray by a factor of more than two-to-one.

According to data released by web metrics site Compete.com (see chart below), out of an average 14 million monthly visitors to Netflix from June-August of 2007, only 48,000 (0.3%) viewed the site's genre pages for either HD DVD or Blu-ray.

Curiously, although those who looked at Blu-ray titles outnumbered those looking at HD-DVD by a factor of 1.8 to 1, among those who set an high-def format as their preferred disc format, HD-DVD was chosen over Blu-ray by a factor of 2.4 to 1.

Based on these numbers, Compete says those who looked at the HD-DVD genre were 4.4 times more likely than Blu-ray browsers to actually set this as their preferred format.

The numbers would appear to contradict recent statements made by Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, who said in late August interview that customer demand for both formats at Netflix was "pretty evenly split."

Compete.com estimates US web traffic using a sample group of two million web users.

Report: Netflix Users Favor HD DVD | High-Def Digest

Now we know the answer as to why HD-DVD sales have yet to encroach on BD's sales lead, huh? HD-DVD users would rather rent then buy and BD users would rather buy then rent. I am sure that is just what the studios want--more renters.:rolleyes:

Or, those browsing the Blu-Ray titles were only curious, because they heard the term since it's marketed so much better than HD-DVD. And, those who browse the HD-DVD section are actual owners who are looking to rent the discs.

Why would all the HD DVD guys go to netflix if Blockbuster has HD DVD online just as netflix has?

Less support in the stores- the main reason, IMHO, that anyone would go with Blockbuster over Netflix (after considering costs/offers).

Less support in the stores- the main reason, IMHO, that anyone would go with Blockbuster over Netflix (after considering costs/offers).

Yes, I agree with that. I'm a blockbuster.com user, get my HD-DVDs in the mail, but the fact that the stores don't have it, and NetFlix now has the "instant on-line movie watching" thing is making me think about switching to Netflix. It also takes quite some time to get HD DVD movies from blockbuster.com, took about 3 weeks to get 300.

How the download service with netflix? That feature is seriously making me consider going back to netflix.

I've never used it myself. I don't watch movies on my PC.

I use to use them a lot when they were one of the major DVD sellers. But then they decided to become a DVD renter, and I haven't used them since.

Last edited:
A single box (under $1K) the size of an average AVR that plays every optical disc format in existence (save for Sony's "jewel" SACD)
as well as all "artificial" derivatives of MPEG-4 part 2 with infinite configurability and upscaling/upconverting options...
You can even browse through YouTube video clips, check your e-mail and have a look what is the latest discussion on Satelliteguys.com forums if you get bored... :)

And all this on a 100" screen while not leaving the couch.

Diogen.

And none of it, other than what I can already do with a few set top boxes, is anything I'd want to do.

I watch DVD's, HDDVD's, Cable, and FTA through my flat panel and 92" FP screen. I don't need to watch downloaded vids, streaming vids, youtube clips, or any other unnecessary crap through my HT. I have a PC for that garbage. (That's what work is for.)

You should leave the couch once in a while. It's neat outside. There's girls and stuff.

Why would all the HD DVD guys go to netflix if Blockbuster has HD DVD online just as netflix has?

Because BB does not offer HD-DVDs in store. The only thing that would make me switch to BB was the ability to return a mailed disk to the store. Since I can't do that I quit Block Buster all together except for the occasional video game rental.

Because BB does not offer HD-DVDs in store. The only thing that would make me switch to BB was the ability to return a mailed disk to the store. Since I can't do that I quit Block Buster all together except for the occasional video game rental.
Ditto I quit too and I refuse to rent anything from Blockbuster until they allow HD DVD in the stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)