Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Springfield, MA
AOL deep-sixes Netscape browser | Underexposed - CNET News.com

"
December 28, 2007 11:24 AM PST
AOL deep-sixes Netscape browser

Posted by Stephen Shankland

The Netscape Web browser has long since been eclipsed by its Firefox offshoot, but it's still somewhat noteworthy that AOL is formally pulling the plug on its historic software.
"AOL's focus on transitioning to an ad-supported Web business leaves little room for the size of investment needed to get the Netscape browser to a point many of its fans expect it to be. Given AOL's current business focus and the success the Mozilla Foundation has had in developing critically-acclaimed products, we feel it's the right time to end development of Netscape-branded browsers, hand the reigns fully to Mozilla, and encourage Netscape users to adopt Firefox," said Netscape's Tom Drapeau in a blog posting Friday.
Support for the Netscape Navigator browser will continue through February 1, 2008, he said, but AOL is recommending people move to Firefox. The Netscape.com portal will still be available, though, and nostalgia buffs can reskin Firefox with a Netscape look."

I just read this on my Wii news. Its always sad to see a pioneer go away. I remember the early days of the browser wars, and the real battle of Netscape VS Microsoft. In the end M$ was just too much.

In the end M$ was just too much.

Na, it was Netscape was too much, as in $'s. I remember when our desktop support folks were trying to decide what browser to go with back then it was either pay for Netscape or use MSIE for free. With 10,000 desktops it was an easy decision for the bean counters.

Na, it was Netscape was too much, as in $'s. I remember when our desktop support folks were trying to decide what browser to go with back then it was either pay for Netscape or use MSIE for free. With 10,000 desktops it was an easy decision for the bean counters.
Not really.. I mean I used Netscape from 2.x to 5.. and I never paid for one version even though it wasn't technically free. They never enforced any sort of payment plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)