Network Services

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
What's this feature do? I see it in set up. Asks you to manually pick or auto pic but everytime I test I get a Failed?

This is used for Media Share, D* On Demand, and general background communication from your receiver to D*, similar to the phone line connection. You will need to connect your box to a router (wired directly; or wirelessly with an extra adapter). Once connected, then you can run the test again. If you still "fail", then something more needs to be investigated.

This is used for Media Share, D* On Demand, and general background communication from your receiver to D*, similar to the phone line connection. You will need to connect your box to a router (wired directly; or wirelessly with an extra adapter). Once connected, then you can run the test again. If you still "fail", then something more needs to be investigated.
Ignore this information -- it's all incorrect. Network services is an experimental feature that is not yet useful, but will later support interactive services of some sort which have not been announced. It's not required for Mediashare or for DoD.

Ignore this information -- it's all incorrect. Network services is an experimental feature that is not yet useful, but will later support interactive services of some sort which have not been announced. It's not required for Mediashare or for DoD.

What?!?! This is how you connect your HR2X to the internet/network for Media Sharing and DoD...how else would it work?

Would you care to cite your source for this incorrect information?

:confused:

What?!?! This is how you connect your HR2X to the internet/network for Media Sharing and DoD...how else would it work?

Would you care to cite your source for this incorrect information?

:confused:
There are 3 services and corresponding tests for network functioning: "Network", "Internet", and "Network Services". "Network" refers to your local network and is required for Mediashare. "Internet" refers to the internet and is required for DoD. "Network services" refers to communications through 2 specific ports, which you specify, and at present is required for the Daily Fortune and for Widgets, but these two services are just placeholders for future features -- they don't do anything useful at present.

How do I know? That's a fair question, and it's a little hard to answer. For one thing, there have been times for me and others that Network Services was not working correctly but Mediashare and DoD were working, showing that it is functionally distinct from the other two.

There are 3 services and corresponding tests for network functioning: "Network", "Internet", and "Network Services". "Network" refers to your local network and is required for Mediashare. "Internet" refers to the internet and is required for DoD. "Network services" refers to communications through 2 specific ports, which you specify, and at present is required for the Daily Fortune and for Widgets, but these two services are just placeholders for future features -- they don't do anything useful at present.

How do I know? That's a fair question, and it's a little hard to answer. For one thing, there have been times for me and others that Network Services was not working correctly but Mediashare and DoD were working, showing that it is functionally distinct from the other two.

Also Media Share and On Demand were functioning long before Network Services was added.

Yes I have no problem with Media Share and VOD but my Network Services shows FAILED!
(1) It doesn't matter, for the time being.
(2) You're not alone -- lots of people have trouble with it. Common problems are getting firewalls to pass messages to the two ports and getting routers to route those messages.

They are having lots of problems with the network servies thing, many routers aren't receiving it well. Many people report it failing, including me, yet everything else works fine.

If your VOD works, channel 1000, then don't worry about it.

FWIW, my Network Services test just went through fine. Shows the first port as 21xxx and the audio port as 21xxx (two different ports). Did the Network test and passed with flying colors. This may account for me not noticing there being a problem in the past with that service. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

HR20-700 hardwired to Netgear RangeMax Next.

I get error 62 when I try to set up w/hr21 for on demand w/a working router and ethernet from router to receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)