new 1.2 meter dish and 12 footer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think I got the motor tightened down on the mast better and I think that the antenna is sufficiently tightened down on the motor pipe now. I certainly can't turn it by hand (if you know what I mean). But I'm still having issues where the 4 foot dish movement is intermittent. Sometimes it won't move but if I wait about 5 minutes it does move without my doing anything. Really strange. My current setup isn't conducive to recording any satellite programming. The osmio4k is connected to a 4 port switch and the C-band dish always moves. I doubt that it's a switch issue. It's bitter cold (14 degrees F) so I can't work on it today and the daytime high is going to be below freezing for a few days.

Hit the hardware store and get a roll pin (spring pin) or 3. Pick an adequate size for the job.
Put your mount on the pole where it needs to be and drill a hole through both pipes, tap in a pin. Check it again and put in another pin 120 degrees or so around the mount. Check again and drill the 3rd hole and tap in a pin. That's how mine's been since the Satcom 4 days.
I hear ya'. It's 8 out here. BTW. That there Lucas synthetic grease I pumped in my actuator tube works slicker 'n <insert expletive here>.

I hear ya'. It's 8 out here. BTW. That there Lucas synthetic grease I pumped in my actuator tube works slicker 'n <insert expletive here>.
I'm using a general purpose grease and it's working fine in this 10 degree weather.

I'm using a general purpose grease and it's working fine in this 10 degree weather.
Still working good at -8 this morning. Sunday morning is suppose to get down to -20. I'll have to see if it'll still move then.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Looks like the XH240 motor is bad. It has power but won't move. Not even with the east/west buttons on the bottom of the motor. I've requested an exchange from TEK2000. Not sure if I'll get one if they're going out of business.

Looks like the XH240 motor is bad. It has power but won't move. Not even with the east/west buttons on the bottom of the motor. I've requested an exchange from TEK2000. Not sure if I'll get one if they're going out of business.
The response from TEK:

Hi,

Wish we could help, but we have no more HH motors. All sold out and we are not stocking any more.

Perhaps the motor is frozen? Or some obstruction? Is it possible the receiver providing power has a burned out regulator or transformer? If you are using it on a 1.2m, we suggest changing your setup to a polar mount and using an actuator jack to move the dish (just like the C band dish). It is much more reliable that way and will last for decades. If you already got a 1.2m reflector, perhaps we can send you the polar mount at a discounted price?

Thanks,
-Tek2000

I'll consider the polar mount option but I don't think there's enough on Ku to justify the cost.

Turns out that I still have a polar mount for a Paraclipse and a KTI. I'll have to figure out how to mount the dish to the mount or wait for a Stab motor to become available again.

Turns out that I still have a polar mount for a Paraclipse and a KTI. I'll have to figure out how to mount the dish to the mount or wait for a Stab motor to become available again.
Mount it on the bottom of the dish direct to the mount. Then, you'll need to find a way to TILT the top of the dish towards the ground, the same offset degrees that the dish is rated at. So, if 22 degrees for instance, you measure angle iron or something to go from the top of the polar mount to the dish top, to allow the dish to tilt that 22 degrees towards the horizon.

Think of your offset dish as a prime focus dish, since that's what a polar mount is made to work with.

I just realized that I would need to buy a another Vbox or Gbox, also. Well, if I decide to do the actuator/polar-mount setup I won't be rushing out to do it.