New 2 year contract? Advantage or disadvantage to be in contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fightfan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Parts unknown
So I called up DTV today and said I was out of contract now, what can they offer.

For a new 2 year contract they will give me either

A 2nd DVR to use or the new 1 or 1.5 tb (or whatever it is) dvr for $99,

The Sunday ticket with red zone and to go for $150 or just the Sunday Ticket for $99

Additional deals on some programing HBO free for 3, etc..

So my question is: Is it worth it to sign a new 2 year contract for the items listed above? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being in a 2 year contract with DTV?

The person also said if I didn't want to do the 2 year contract that he would still give me either NFL package half off.

Thoughts?

only worth it if you want the equipment and know there is no way you're going to leave D* any time soon. also see if they'll give you $30 off for 12 months since you can't get a new customer promo. i got a bunch of equipment upgrades and $30 off for 12 months for reupping

Directv generally only re-ups the 2 year contract if you receive/activate new equipment, such as an additional HD-DVR.

Programming discounts don't require a new commitment, unless something way out of the norm.

As to advantage of being under contract - none - you still pay price increases etc. Only advantage is to Directv.

not worth it unless you want another box. Hbo free is standard and something given out fairly often without extension and the Sunday ticket deal isn't that great unless you absolutely love the added features of the more expensive option. Otherwise you aren't saving that much.

The only advantage I see to a new contract is that you are getting upgraded equipment at no or little cost.

Thanks guys, good information here, I'm torn. I would like a second DVR and would probably like to upgrade two other SD receivers to HD receivers as the pictures seem to look terrible with SD receivers. Truthfully I don't see myself switching to a different cable carrier in the next few years but come next football season I will have zero leverage for the football package and I hate being held hostage with contracts.

As mentioned in Aridon's post, I'm really not getting much for signing another two year contract. Maybe if I can get them to sweeten the deal (two more HD receivers) along with the 2nd dvr. I don't know, like I said I'm torn here. I guess I can always take the ST offer of $99 and later if I change my mind I can add equipment and take the 2 year contract.

Thanks guys, good information here, I'm torn. I would like a second DVR and would probably like to upgrade two other SD receivers to HD receivers as the pictures seem to look terrible with SD receivers. Truthfully I don't see myself switching to a different cable carrier in the next few years but come next football season I will have zero leverage for the football package and I hate being held hostage with contracts.

As mentioned in Aridon's post, I'm really not getting much for signing another two year contract. Maybe if I can get them to sweeten the deal (two more HD receivers) along with the 2nd dvr. I don't know, like I said I'm torn here. I guess I can always take the ST offer of $99 and later if I change my mind I can add equipment and take the 2 year contract.
they'll still give you ST discounts when you tell them you want to cancel your ST sub. do this every year when the auto renew starts appearing on your bill and they'll happily take off at least $100 even if under contract

I think the whole contract thing is just an over reaction to how they did business back in the day. When Directv was new they just about gave away the systems; give the installer $15.00 and become a customer. People could go for months without paying a bill and still have service. During that period and since I have heard numbers like $600.00 per new customer to advertise, complete a sale, provide and install equipment and establish the activated account. Never knew how many of those $600.00 bums went out of service without any payment.

So now Directv has plugged this leak. And In my opinion they have over reacted with their credit requirements and two year contract. They are entitled to make a profit and expect to be paid each month. I just think on the way to these goals they have been heavy handed and pissed off people who would have made good customers. This, after years of throwing the cash in the air. I also think if they don't back the hell off on commercial interruptions they are about to lose at least one more long term customer.

Joe

I think the whole contract thing is just an over reaction to how they did business back in the day. When Directv was new they just about gave away the systems; give the installer $15.00 and become a customer. People could go for months without paying a bill and still have service. During that period and since I have heard numbers like $600.00 per new customer to advertise, complete a sale, provide and install equipment and establish the activated account. Never knew how many of those $600.00 bums went out of service without any payment.

So now Directv has plugged this leak. And In my opinion they have over reacted with their credit requirements and two year contract. They are entitled to make a profit and expect to be paid each month. I just think on the way to these goals they have been heavy handed and pissed off people who would have made good customers. This, after years of throwing the cash in the air. I also think if they don't back the hell off on commercial interruptions they are about to lose at least one more long term customer.

Joe

That's not the way I remember it. A receiver cost around $500 and that didn't include the dish or the install.

There was that too.

My brother paid 1500.00 for a two holer Directv in a townhouse. This was at the same time DISH had all kinds of prices for just the receiver. Directv bought PrimeStar and their first official act was to get rid of the very cool ( and expensive) Pstar box. For a time there was a feeding frenzy to get Directv hooked up........DISH not so much. When they both started giving away the installation it really went nuts.

There was a period where the cable companies paid a bounty for the new small sat dishes. DISH had expensive boxes through this period and only the TIVO was expensive within the Directv offerings.

There are even stranger stories about launch positions, satellites and their transponders.

Evolution is so confusing,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)