New 2014 DIRECTV Prices

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's time to work my magic with bill credits at least for a few months, with retention or CSR, usually does it when adding or removing programming or sometimes when threatening to cancel, there's other methods but i prefer not to say ;)

Man I see a lot of sour grapes at the other site that we posted the new rates first.

Some (like damondlt aka super troll Hemi) are even making fun of us for having a holiday party and giving back to our members! Hell I remember when DBSTalk was giving away an Apple iPad... and if I recall properly they didn't even give it away, the contest just magically went away...

We love GIVING BACK to our members and do it every year!

Unlike other sites we don't spam you via email or try to get you to buy crap you don't want. Other sites are their to add to their bottom line, we are here because we love helping people learn more about satellite and home theater technologies

Now about the price increase, I do believe what was posted here is accurate, I do trust my sources. I can understand why DIRECTV will not comment on them yet, but they will this week and then we will know for sure.

If you are a Pub Member you will know that our posted "DIRECTV RUMORS" over the last 6 months have been 100% accurate. And we posted the information sometimes days before the other site. This has upset some folks there... and quite honestly I don't care. In fact going forward instead of posting these rumors for our Pub Members I am just going to post them here in the DIRECTV forum so that you can see who the real DIRECTV information source is.

It is my goal for 2014 for when you think of a site for DIRECTV News, information and help you will think of SatelliteGuys FIRST. I am proud of the contacts we have made inside DIRECTV in 2013 and once again look forward to being your DIRECTV information source in 2014.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Last edited:
Man I see a lot of sour grapes at the other site that we posted the new rates first.

Some (like damondlt aka super troll Hemi) are even making fun of us for having a holiday party and giving back to our members! Hell I remember when DBSTalk was giving away an Apple iPad... and if I recall properly they didn't even give it away, the contest just magically went away...

Unlike other sites we don't spam you via email or try to get you to buy crap you don't want. Other sites are their to add to their bottom line, we are here because we love helping people learn more about satellite and home theater technologies

Now about the price increase, I do believe what was posted here is accurate, I do trust my sources. I can understand why DIRECTV will not comment on them yet, but they will this week and then we will know for sure.

If you are a Pub Member you will know that our posted "DIRECTV RUMORS" over the last 6 months have been 100% accurate. And we posted the information sometimes days before the other site. This has upset some folks there... and quite honestly I don't care. In fact going forward instead of posting these rumors for our Pub Members I am just going to post them here in the DIRECTV forum so that you can see who the real DIRECTV information source is.

It is my goal for 2014 for when you think of a site for DIRECTV News, information and help you will think of SatelliteGuys FIRST. I am proud of the contacts we have made inside DIRECTV in 2013 and once again look forward to being your DIRECTV information source in 2014.

Sour Grapes because your posted info before they did about D* ?

WHAAAAAAA !!!!

If you get the info and find it reliable, Post it ...
Thats my theory!

Theres NOTHING saying that you have to wait for them, they are NOT a site that D* has officially authorized for info from them .. although it does surprise me that D* doesn't have thier own site for just this type of thing.

I wouldn't know if the other site posted it first or not, I gave up on them years ago, too much fighting and complaining over there.
When you try to post something, if someone doesn't like what you posted, you'll hear about it. (or not see it again.)

Last edited:

I enjoy coming to this forum as going to the other forum as well, Only thing is it gets blocked at my work computer, when the other site doesn't. but that's why I use the tapatalk app on my smartphone.

I like both sites. I think the general population is a little different but I get good information from each. The internet is full of information, discussions and yes opinions. While this site and that site is more like Mac vs. PC, or Ford vs. Chevy.... I like em both. It's Christmas Eve, can't we all just get along? I have nothing negative to say about either site.

Anyway back to topic,

I think if this is all the rate hike is, thats not as bad as some others. I may try cable though when our local provider releases their multi room DVR. I think they are testing the Moxi 6 tuner DVR and Moxi Mates. I've watched some video's on it from other cable companies sites that offer it (Wow and Wave Broadband). It looks very fast. My HR24 is dog slow.

I'm not in a contract anymore with DirecTV, but what I may do is "suspend it" and try cable's moxi, which I think they are shooting for Q1 2014. If I like it, cool, if not, I'll come back to DirecTV. I have to crunch the numbers but theres a small savings bundling everything with the cable operator. Not huge savings anymore with the increasing cost of programming, but a little bit.

Thankfully I work at a place that has been good on yearly increases, and because of that, it really helps. Though in time many people are going to cut the cord per say, and these programmers will have to re-evaluate the value of their programming. If people leave in drones their value goes down. Supply and demand right? Just like gas prices shoot up right before busy travel times, like Labor day weekend for example. Let the demand go down for all of this programming and maybe one day we will see prices come down too.

I remember when cable was like $30 a month and that was it. I'm sure many on this board older than me can remember times when it was even less than that. Sadly were not back to the sub $1 / gallon of gas, or the sub $30 a month for TV. I guess the value of the dollar isn't what it used to be.

Same here.
I don't do movies often, Sports is the main draw, I could probably drop WAY down if not for that.
if not for sports................they would not see one dollar, for this other crap. too funny

if it's just $3 a month. no biggie.
was spending more money on going to Cav's games alone in 1986 than a year of DTV now. those were 1986 dollars. +Tribe & Browns games.
for $3.50 a day what else can you get of this value ? a beer at a bar. coffee at Sbucks. gal gas/milk.
a ticket to 1 game a month w/parking and popcorn etc, maybe.
LG

Scott, you are the man. I quit going to DBSTalk long ago. It just don't compare to this site.

You still have it posted that the Holiday Party is tonight.

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, OTA and FTA here... it took a short period to get use to it but now I doubt I'd ever switch back. Absolutely love it and the cost is 20$ a month
Indeed.

I saw a link to this topic posted on the reddit cordcutters subreddit.

I unhooked from Dish 20 months ago for the same reason. I can afford it but I didn't like what I was paying for. I haven't missed it and won't be going back. Meanwhile I've $2487 to spend on something else.

I've been out of contract for about a year. I noticed my cost crept up by about $10.00 around the middle of last year so I called and dropped to the lowest package and negotiated a price. I also cancelled the equipment fee $3.00 (I think) and now I pay about $83.00 for 2 HD boxes 1 with DVR. Anyway, I told myself that if it goes up again, I'll seriously consider cancelling. To have TV is just not worth that much to me.

During that time, I also learned about XBMC and have been heavily involved in that. If it wasn't for the kids programming, I probably would have cancelled DTV by now. XBMC + OTA programming can provide more than enough programming at a fraction of the cost. The Sat and cable companies really need to rethink their model as more and more people are getting connected and realizing that there are more alternatives now than ever. I know there is a big population that just wants to push the on button and that's it, but if you're willing to tinker around a bit, the online (HTPC) experience is well worth it. As the younger/more tech savvy crowd starts moving out on their own, It's only going to worse for traditional broadcasters.

I like both sites. I think the general population is a little different but I get good information from each. The internet is full of information, discussions and yes opinions. While this site and that site is more like Mac vs. PC, or Ford vs. Chevy.... I like em both. It's Christmas Eve, can't we all just get along? I have nothing negative to say about either site.

Anyway back to topic,

I think if this is all the rate hike is, thats not as bad as some others. I may try cable though when our local provider releases their multi room DVR. I think they are testing the Moxi 6 tuner DVR and Moxi Mates. I've watched some video's on it from other cable companies sites that offer it (Wow and Wave Broadband). It looks very fast. My HR24 is dog slow.

I'm not in a contract anymore with DirecTV, but what I may do is "suspend it" and try cable's moxi, which I think they are shooting for Q1 2014. If I like it, cool, if not, I'll come back to DirecTV. I have to crunch the numbers but theres a small savings bundling everything with the cable operator. Not huge savings anymore with the increasing cost of programming, but a little bit.

Thankfully I work at a place that has been good on yearly increases, and because of that, it really helps. Though in time many people are going to cut the cord per say, and these programmers will have to re-evaluate the value of their programming. If people leave in drones their value goes down. Supply and demand right? Just like gas prices shoot up right before busy travel times, like Labor day weekend for example. Let the demand go down for all of this programming and maybe one day we will see prices come down too.

I remember when cable was like $30 a month and that was it. I'm sure many on this board older than me can remember times when it was even less than that. Sadly were not back to the sub $1 / gallon of gas, or the sub $30 a month for TV. I guess the value of the dollar isn't what it used to be.

Only problem I can see with this idea is.
If you take the total number of people subbed, what percentage would have to leave to make the rates drop?

... I know there is a big population that just wants to push the on button and that's it, but if you're willing to tinker around a bit, the online (HTPC) experience is well worth it. As the younger/more tech savvy crowd starts moving out on their own, It's only going to worse for traditional broadcasters.

You can also build an whole house DVR for OTA content using MythTV that far exceeds the capabilities offered by any of them.

In answer to your last paragraph, we know what would happen because many providers have tried it. At contract renewal time, the provider tries to put the sports network in a sports tier, so that only the people who want it will pay for it. The network owner says put it in the base package or we'll pull it. Period. The operator brave enough to let them pull it eventually caves, because TV subscribers (regardless of provider) go ape-sh*t crazy and switch to the competition if they miss a game - after all, sports is the reason why many of them pay for TV in the first place. Prime example, the cable service I work for would like to add Tennis Channel in a sports package. Same for MLB network. Same for CBS Sports channel. None of these channels will allow us to launch unless we put it in the base package, which we absolutely refuse to do... so we are without those channels, which **some** customers would like to have. We're surviving without them. But if the network is Fox Sports, or ESPN or even NBC Sports, we as a provider can't say no to having it crammed into the base package, because without these channels subscribers will leave. Bottom line - to a much larger extent than most consumers realize, network owners call the shots. As a provider, we have very little ability to create the kind of choice in program packages that we and our customers would like.

What will cause networks to change their business practices? You nailed it. When the day comes that the pricing pushes large numbers of consumers over the cliff, then and only then will the networks be ready to change the rules of the game - and it will be too late. For all the buzz about cord nevers and cord cutters, in reality (so far) this trend is a teeny, tiny drop in the bucket. The networks are making money hand over fist. They like the current business model just fine, thank you, never mind that by clinging to it they are 100% certain to eventually kill the goose that's been laying all those golden eggs. All the network execs care about is this THIS QUARTER'S BOTTOM LINE and the size of their BONUS, not the sustainability of their business.

I like the fact that the equipment fees are not going up. I think that helps people with the increase a bit. DirecTV understands that people have reached a tipping point. I wonder if 2014 into 2015 is going to be the year of the dispute with DirecTV. Sports programming is out of control, and I know the sports executives are charging a premium just so they can get big bonuses. Cord cutting is very real and what the content providers dont realize is they are cutting their own foot off by charging so much. Dont bite the hand that feeds you!

I don't have DirecTV but was looking at the Regional Sports fee, and noticed that Chicago and Peoria both now has an RSN fee of $1.82 when I type it into zip code box to check RSN fees. Has Chicago and Peoria always had an RSN fee of $1.82 and I just was not aware of it?

According to the D* website, the package I have is "Choice Extra Classic", but thats not listed in the new stuff, where does my bill go up to ?

Jimbo
Here is the new price per the pdf I added in post 1

CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC™................$75.49/mo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts