New 622 Arrived with non-working HDMI

bjersing

Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
I had Dish swap out my 622 due to daily reboots (1-2x per day). The unit that arrived on 07/07/06 does not have a working HDMI port. I called back to Tech Support twice and they said it was a new software bug they are working on (for all units starting 7/3). They stated that all units being shipped now have this issue, and therefore replacing my replacement would be in vain. How can they have such poor Quality Assurance? I asked for some sort of compensation and they gave me a $20 credit for my trouble.

I know they have had HDMI issues in the past, but I thought some SW updates fixed it.

Is this a new problem being reported widespread?

Huh? A "new" software bug. Are you running a different version then everyone else?

Only way this could possibly make sense is if they've made a change to the hardware and need a software update to support it (a stretch). Any change to the model/serial number on the back?

I think what he is means is that E* is saying they know they have a problem with the 622 HDMI ports and that the fix will be a software update.

patrickpiteo said:
I think what he is means is that E* is saying they know they have a problem with the 622 HDMI ports and that the fix will be a software update.
Some TV's are not properly recognized by the software for otherwise working HDMI ports.

I would think it might help if someone could compile a list of those that work and those that don't work. Would help no end when talking to otherwise uninformed CSR's.

My Sony TV (40" LCD model KDLV40XBR1) and my first "D" version 622 weren't talking to each other over HDMI from the getgo. E* also told me that there were "known incompatibilities" between the 622 and certain receivers notably Sony and Mitsubishi, IIRC. They called it a SW issue then (early May) and I bought that line for about 2 weeks until another member with the same model TV said he had no issues with his 622's HDMI. So I called for a replacement. That unit, an "E" version, has worked well on HDMI (KOW) since I received it. Both units were at L3.56 or 3.57 then, the E is now at L3.59. I'm not convinced it's strictly SW related. I still contend that there are other possible root causes of the problem, including the fragile nature of the HDMI connector on the 622's main PCB (open your unit and check it out!) and heat-related failures. There could be others...

Last edited:
bhelms said:
My Sony TV (40" LCD model KDLV40XBR1) and my first "D" version 622 weren't talking to each other over HDMI from the getgo. E* also told me that there were "known incompatibilities" between the 622 and certain receivers notably Sony and Mitsubishi, IIRC. They called it a SW issue then (early May) and I bought that line for about 2 weeks until another member with the same model TV said he had no issues with his 622's HDMI. So I called for a replacement. That unit, an "E" version, has worked well on HDMI (KOW) since I received it. Both units were at L3.56 or 3.57 then, the E is now at L3.59. I'm not convinced it's strictly SW related. I still contend that there are other possible root causes of the problem, including the fragile nature of the HDMI connector on the 622's main PCB (open your unit and check it out!) and heat-related failures. There could be others...
I agree this could be more then just software issues. The problem I have is that E* should respond better with answers. I thought we would see more answers here but that has not been the case either... This is very frustrating.

The crazy thing is that the HDMI port on my 622 that is supposed to be returned (equipment swap) to Dish works fine. So did the HDMI port on the 942 that I should have never given up. L359 is running on both 622s. I am using a Sony 50" LCD TV. There must be a hardware element to the problem, as the same software has different results on 2 units.

bjersing said:
...There must be a hardware element to the problem, as the same software has different results on 2 units.
Bingo...!

And, yes, the support has been underwhelming. If you have a unit that works, do everything you can to protect that HDMI connection (off-load the weight of the cable, don't move it around, etc.) and give it LOTS of ventillation and forced-air cooling if you can...

rumor is that the issue only affects certain tv models. and yes software is the culprit. however , dish dwnloaded software that caused a compatibilty issue w/ certain tv makes/mdls. if you call in ,they may fill out some kind of report, that they send to engineers. they asked fpr my tv make and mdl #.

That's E*'s rumor, and not supported by the actual experiences of many posters in these threads! 622/TV incompatability MAY be an issue in some cases but certainly not all.

E* supposedly filled-out a report on my situation, then replaced the receiver. The SW in both was the same at the time, L3.56. The new one worked on HDMI, the old one didn't - ever. Nothing else was changed. You'll have a hard time convincing me in my case that the problem was an incompatibility with my TV that SW would somehow fix. YMMV...

I got my "B" box replaced last week do to check switch and also the HDMI not working. The 622 replacement was a refurbished one, not new and the stickers on the box now claim it is the "E" version.

My refurb unit has scuff marks on the top and it is a little irritating to me that I would get a refurb, not new. Did everyone else get a refurb for their replacement?

HDMI Failure for first time tonight

I had my first HDMI failure tonight. It happened twice. After the 3rd reboot it seems to be working ok. I have had the receiver since may and this was never a problem. Also it has worked fine with the latest version software version 359. Well I spoke too soon; it just did it again.

I have 2 of the 622 I bought in March. One has never had any problems. The second unit has had the HDMI flake out a few times. As of this last weekend, the unit bit the dust and has had zero HDMI output in almost a week..

I called yesturday for an RMA and had to fight to get one. They don't understand that if the HD output doesn't work, then the unit isn't working properly. Just because I can use the coax output doesn't mean it's OK.

Then they told me to contact my retailer, oh yeah, like I'm shipping this back to a reseller in Floriday, don't think so.

Once I got her to agree to RMA it, she wanted to charge me $15 S/H. At that point I said if you are going to jerk me around on equipment I spent over $1200 on that IS STILL IN FULL WARRANTY, than I could take my $100/month elsewhere.

At that point the $15 was no longer an issue.

So, anyone know how long the new receiver takes to get out, do the ground ship it or air?

Got my replacement 622 yesterday. I haven't hooked it up yet because I have a couple of shows on the old DVR I need to watch and we had a terrible storm last night and I've been without power ever since. Anyway, the replacement one is a new revision - it's an "F" model. I'll let everyone know how it is after I get it hooked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts