New 622 Feature Coming

On a home network, running DHCP is 100% normal when using a router. When people mention static or dynamic IPs, I think they're typically referring to what their ISP gives them and that doesn't apply "inside" the network where the receiver will be.

Furthermore, I look forward to seeing if any security modifications will be required for those of us running firewalls. The receivers will be executing two-way communication, meaning that many hardware firewalls may block the connection by default. Opening up ports for the feature, also opens up additional holes in security.
I suspect they're probably going to have the box call home on a regular basis to see if there's any waiting requests, rather than leave a port open and listening. Dish does *not* want to get into the business of explaining to people how to punch holes into firewalls. Another option is doing the same thing they've done for quite some time, use the satellite for E* -> receiver communications. If they can send a hit to program the box fairly quickly, there's no reason they can't do the same for DVR programming requests, though that might start taxing bandwidth if everyone started doing it.
Last option I can think of... the box will keep a persistent connection open to the call-home server. Only issue with this is keeping lots of persistent connections open can tax the server.
Oh well, we shall wait and see. I got my 622 working with my Sipura 2000 and Sipphone, but it's still not 100% reliable, and I'd rather have one less piece of hardware sitting in my home theater.

I suspect they're probably going to have the box call home on a regular basis to see if there's any waiting requests, rather than leave a port open and listening. Dish does *not* want to get into the business of explaining to people how to punch holes into firewalls. Another option is doing the same thing they've done for quite some time, use the satellite for E* -> receiver communications. If they can send a hit to program the box fairly quickly, there's no reason they can't do the same for DVR programming requests, though that might start taxing bandwidth if everyone started doing it.
Last option I can think of... the box will keep a persistent connection open to the call-home server. Only issue with this is keeping lots of persistent connections open can tax the server.
Oh well, we shall wait and see. I got my 622 working with my Sipura 2000 and Sipphone, but it's still not 100% reliable, and I'd rather have one less piece of hardware sitting in my home theater.

Good point! It may work like the dial-up, but perhaps with greater frequency (in the event of being able to remotely program the recording schedule).

...I have a serious problem with over thinking things and in the process overlooking the obvious. Ask my wife how long it took me to propose. :rolleyes:

they would be STUPID to require a static address. 99% of residential customers are on a dynamic address. (Including yours truly).

Some of us use Static DHCP; where the device requests an address via DHCP but the router hands them out a consistent address.

This makes it easier when you go to access network services like mass storage or printers :D

Cheers,

...I have a serious problem with over thinking things and in the process overlooking the obvious. :rolleyes:

Join the club on THAT one, man!
I guess we'll all just have to wait a day or 2 to see how this all will work.

I've had my 622 hooked up to a 1 gig switch when I had it installed 2 weeks ago, and I haven't had any connections with Dish that way yet either. I dont have a phone line in that area, so I was hoping they would enable this feature before I had to start paying the 5 bucks per month punishment fee.

Looks like it will work out well for me, as long as they enable it this week...

Some of us use Static DHCP; where the device requests an address via DHCP but the router hands them out a consistent address.
Do you have DHCP disabled ?? All Dish means is there won't be a menu/screen that allows you to configure IP, gateway address, DNS, etc, etc.

ABOUT F(WORD) TIME! I've had ethernet in my living room forever and my 622 is still connected to it. I hate using the lame landline that often doesn't work. E* could save a ton not having to have modem bays and extra phone lines to accommodate all the receivers calling home. can't believe it took this long! oh well at least we have it.

COUGH COUGH... PROXY SERVER... COUGH COUGH :D

OR--- the fact that people can put a Access Point connected to an antenna outside their house, and their neighbors and use a client bridge to get internet in their house, and all the receivers would be "calling in" from the same IP. So receivers could be shared between neighbors.

What does your computer have to do with any of this ?? I suspect you think the internet is "off" when you turn your PC off. It isn't, unless you also turn off your modem.

Some DSL customers (especially really old Verizon DSL (and maybe some other national DSL carriers?)) may be connected directly to the DSL modem and starting PPPoE at the computer side. Without PPPoE, they'd not be able to get their connection up. Odds are the 622 won't support PPPoE either (nor should it, really).

A simple residential router would solve this issue (or telling the Telco to give up a new modem, which Verizon will do).

I do hope that Dish is trained to help with some of these potentially weird configs, at least enough to suggest a router.

I think overall this should be pretty cool. I'm looking forward to getting a 722 and joining DishHD.

Some DSL customers (especially really old Verizon DSL (and maybe some other national DSL carriers?)) may be connected directly to the DSL modem and starting PPPoE at the computer side. Without PPPoE, they'd not be able to get their connection up. Odds are the 622 won't support PPPoE either (nor should it, really).
Yes, I remember those days myself. In a setup like that, it will be hard (for the average person) to "share" their internet connection between their PC and the 622.

Do you have DHCP disabled ?? All Dish means is there won't be a menu/screen that allows you to configure IP, gateway address, DNS, etc, etc.

Of course not. Static DHCP gives each known device a defined address.

Once I know the MAC of my 622 and 211; I'll add them to the list ;)

as mentioned several times in this thread DHCP is the way the vast majority of the world connects to the internet, so it makes sense that they would be going that route insted of using static IP's..Should those of us who have had a ethernet cable in the reciever disconnect them until the enabling is announced, or will it matter once the port goes "live"?

Thanks for the heads up Scott!

Should those of us who have had a ethernet cable in the reciever disconnect them until the enabling is announced, or will it matter once the port goes "live"?
I've plugged mine into my router and it does NOT pull an IP address, telling me that networking is off or more likely, dhcpd is not running on the receiver (yet). When this update comes, they will turn those daemons on and it will then pull an IP if it finds a DHCP server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)