New 622 owner, record 2 things at once? How?

bub

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Hey all,
Just got my 622 installed yesterday. I can't for the life of me figure out how to record two shows at the same time. Every time I create a 2nd timer that overlaps the first, I get a warning saying only one will be recorded.

Here is my setup, TV1 HD living room, TV2 downstairs kids play room. I need to be able to see two different feeds in the living room and only one downstairs. I would like the living room to have priority over the play room. I would like to see both outputs on TV1 and be able to change between them at will. If play room TV2 needs to see a feed, and TV1 is using it, too bad for TV2.

Can't I create a timer for TV1 and then create a timer for TV2 that will record at the same time from the TV1 location, living room? Can't I select TV1/TV2 when I create a timer? I really want to be able to control every aspect of the 622 from the TV1 living room, but I still need the ability for the TV2 play room to access programming independently.

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I transitioned from a 811 and 508.

Thanks,
George -bub

Isn't that what single mode is for? Or, does the 622 not have this feature? You could switch it to single mode, set your timers, and put it back in dual. TV 2 would then have to watch something previously recorded, to see a different program.

You need to put the 622 in single mode. Do this by pressing mode button on front of receiver. The unit should automatically record to tuner that is available the only exception is OTA it will record to TV1 and you can only record on OTA at a time, but if you subscribe to locals through dish you can record a second program from satellite and it can record to TV1 as well. Also the unit automatically set buffer time before and after a timer you can select the recording go-to options and decrease the buffer to zero to prevent over lap.
Hope this help.

Ok, still confused...

I set the receiver into single mode, now I CAN record two things at the same time (I'm assuming I could record 3 using OTA, just haven't tried it yet), but I CAN'T control the two TV's independently of each other. Both remotes affect both TV's the same.

What I want to do is have independent control over both inputs on TV1, having the ability to switch between inputs so that if I'm recording one event, I can switch to the other input and continue to watch what I want while the other input is being recorded. AND, I don't want being able to do that, to affect TV2 (unless of course I am using that input on TV1, I understand that).

So, I guess I'm starting to understand it now.

In single mode, I can use the 622 like two tuners. I can record one thing and go to the guide and select something else to watch seemlessly.

OR, and this is a biggie, I can go into dual mode and the two TV's will work independently of each other. In dual mode, I lose the ability on TV1 to record one thing and watch another live event, correct? I guess I can record one thing and watch another recorded event on TV1 in dual mode, that right?

Can somebody explain this to me... WHY can't you switch between dual and single mode on the remotes?????????? I have to open my rack, open the door on the 622 and push the button!?! Who was the genius who came up with that one?

Anyways, I think you guys straightened me out. I got another switch failure screen again when turning one of the TV's on, but pressing the guide cleared it. That is 3 switch failure messages in less than 24 hours, and only about 5 hours of actual use. Can anybody tell me if these switch failure messages screw up your timers???

I haven't had a reboot, but am seeing these switch failure messages frequently. Any ideas? I don't even have a switch either...

George

bub said:
OR, and this is a biggie, I can go into dual mode and the two TV's will work independently of each other. In dual mode, I lose the ability on TV1 to record one thing and watch another live event, correct? I guess I can record one thing and watch another recorded event on TV1 in dual mode, that right?
George
Well while you are in dual mode, you can set it up in the menu, so that when you are on TV1, and you go to record something, it will automatically record to the TV2 tuner, so that from TV one(while in dual mode) you can record something, and watch something else at the same time.

Of course when you do this, and are recording something on the TV2 tuner from TV1, your second TV will show whatever you are recording at that time.

In order to set it up this way, do what garys said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)