New 721 software?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How ironic, you gotta love it. The timer for Jeopardy fired and caused a timer reboot. I got the L171 upgrade. Unfortunately, all the timers, saved programs and the configuration information were erased. This isn't the first time that an upgrade acted cleaned house in such a thorough manner.

I just hope that Dish has fixed the timer problems.

Great update. Thanks Dish. Couldn't care much for the OpenTV stuff because the thing is so damn slow, but the other features (search and PIP changes) rock! Good job!

Well, I came back to the receiver at 7:30 and it seems ok. I cruised around OpenTV for a little while...got a lot of "coming soon" messages but it worked. I've watched one of the recorded programs since my power cycle of the box and it was good. I haven't tried to watch the Modern Marvels that was screwed up before all my problems...I guess I'm afraid. :eek:

Looks like this upgrade is a good one, but time will tell.

What is that little tv in the lower corner, could it let us know we are watching a program that offers interactive use ?

ken said:
What is that little tv in the lower corner, could it let us know we are watching a program that offers interactive use ?
I think that's the one for the 2nd tuner buffering for you.

Re-read Scott's preview of this SW.

LER

Scott, you ain't lyin about it acting weird after the update....

I was watching American idol last night, started watching about 10 minutes into it, so I rewinded, went to skip 30 seconds and the reciever kept fast forwarding. Wouldn't respond to any button but stop. Had to start recording again and watch AI in 2 seperate recordings until I caught up to live.

I'm off to check for the radio channels and the new update features, later.

After taking the update yesterday and letting the receiver regain it's composure, it's running flawlessly today. Listening to Sirius Prime Country and it sounds great. It kept all timers and recorded programs, but the guide had to re-download. All in all, no biggie!

Hey all. Does anyone know about how long the upgrade should take to install? Just wondering when I might get my tv back.

I am still experiencing the same timer failures with L1.71 as I have been for several releases. So far my timer failures are:

1) Short programs. The program appears to be recording for the full duration but only the first few seconds are saved.

2) Timer reboots. A timer fires and the 721 reboots. I know these are timer related because the only occur at the beginnings of programs. Typically, two entries are saved. One for the first few seconds of the program. The second is for the remainder of the program (less, of course, the time it takes for the boot cycle).

My 721 was completely wiped following the firmware update. I lost all daily timers, saved programs, and my configuration was reset to default.

I love the dual tuners of the 721 and we use the heck out of the receiver. However, the continuing bugs are getting old.

kirk27 said:
I am still experiencing the same timer failures with L1.71 as I have been for several releases. So far my timer failures are:

1) Short programs. The program appears to be recording for the full duration but only the first few seconds are saved.

2) Timer reboots. A timer fires and the 721 reboots. I know these are timer related because the only occur at the beginnings of programs. Typically, two entries are saved. One for the first few seconds of the program. The second is for the remainder of the program (less, of course, the time it takes for the boot cycle).

My 721 was completely wiped following the firmware update. I lost all daily timers, saved programs, and my configuration was reset to default.

I love the dual tuners of the 721 and we use the heck out of the receiver. However, the continuing bugs are getting old.
I haven't seen any of these.

strange.

LER

Is this new? From the guide, if you click on a channel number (as opposed to a program) it switches the picture to that channel but leaves the guide up. I could swear it didn't do that before because i remember thinking it was goofy to have that column selectable/clickable. Maybe I';m nuts.

kirk27 said:

2) Timer reboots. A timer fires and the 721 reboots. <snip>

As owner of a 721 I too have seen these:
1) This typically only happens to me if I'm recording two programs that both end at the same time (programs A and B) and when they end two more programs start (programs C and D). Usually either program C or D is only a few seconds in length even though the receiver shows that it is still recording.

2) This hasn't happened to me in a looooooong time (knock wood) but it did in previous software releases. I actually lost a 721 to the dreaded "Too many timers" bug from a while back. Unit went into a cycle of continuous reboots and wouldn't stop. Dish replaced it and it's been stable since...more or less. :)

I, fortuantely, haven't had my receiver wiped as a result of a firmware upgrade. I have had the guide wipe with this most recent upgrade but my timers and recorded programs are still there. Overall I'm extremely happy with my 721.

cmaier said:
Is this new? From the guide, if you click on a channel number (as opposed to a program) it switches the picture to that channel but leaves the guide up. I could swear it didn't do that before because i remember thinking it was goofy to have that column selectable/clickable. Maybe I';m nuts.
Nope, it's done that all along. I found that by overshooting the back button in the guide and slamming the select button. Pretty cool huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)