New 721 won't power on

chiabob

Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
I plug in the unit and after a few seconds the red power button will blink 2 times fast, then 2 times slow, then about 30 times fast again. Then the message light will blink about 5 times, then all the lights turn off. I can still hear the hard drive spinning, but nothing else will happen no matter what button I press. I can get it to repeat the light blinking by a soft or hard reset, but that is the only thing it will do. This is the second unit that I have had that did the same thing. Any ideas?

-Matt

Where did you purchase the receiver from? Are you sure you purchased it new or used? If the 721 is new then Dish Network will exchange it for another one but a $14.95 fee applies. They may waive this since it failed on arrival if it is new. If this does not work then you need to contact the person you bought it from.

My brand new 625 did the same thing except that I was able to view programming before it stopped working 20 minutes later. I had to call Dish to replace it.

Do you even get screen telling you that a the drive is formatting and going through it's diagnostics?

You may not be waiting long enough. There is a long period of time where it appears that nothing is happening. You must wait it out.

I have a 721 also. Many times I've been certain it's dead. They take a LONG time to boot up.

boomerang said:
You may not be waiting long enough. There is a long period of time where it appears that nothing is happening. You must wait it out.

I have a 721 also. Many times I've been certain it's dead. They take a LONG time to boot up.

The 721 sometimes takes around 9 minutes to reboot. Not all the time but ever since the 1.77 update.

It does take a while for it to reboot but it gives you messages on the screen as it progresses. Not seeing messages could be a bad sign.

Maybe the receiver is not hooked up right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)