New 811 Setup with OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sdksatellite

Original poster
May 11, 2004
I just got my 811 (now on release 269) a couple weeks ago with the lease program. On Friday night I prayed that my existing antenna would provide my OTAs without any work. I got all my local analog channels fine with the antenna and much to my delight, without having to position or mess with the antenna (in my attic about 30+ miles to DC stations), all my locals came in at 80%-90%. I am new to the 811, but I am very, very happy with it so far. The only problems I have seen is that my local ABC dropped out of my guide once and I think it was because the box froze while I zipped through all of the channels in the guide (from 9400+ down to 07-01). I rescanned and it came back fine. I also have seen the low soundissue on my OTAs, but most was due to ABC because when it went to commercial I had to turn it down from 50-40. I normally watch the satellite around 35-40 and my DVDs around 30.

Anyway, just wanted to post some good news about the 811 and how easy it was to get it setup with my OTAs. :)

It is good to read some positive comments now and then.

My overall experience has been good too ... I certainly have experienced some of the common 811 bugs, but none "bug" me very much.

I agree. I got a little worried when I read so many bad things, but I mainly use my big screen in the basement for movies and now shows that are in HDTV. I also got lucky on the digital stations because I didn't have to mess around in the attic with the antenna that's been up there for years. Hopefully, I will go on being naively happy.

with 265, I posted a poll to get a feel for what people thought of their 811 and its current state. I thought the response was better than expected given the negative comments people had. The poll basically indicated that more people than I thought were not have a lot of issues.

My take after the poll was that you have a good chance of it working in your environment, but also have a chance of it not. If it does not, then you are going to feel some pain and frustrations. Some of the bugs that you might hit are of the really annoying nature.

I also ran a similar poll on the 721 and got similar responses. This all makes sense to me given that the posts on here tend to be on the nagitive side for the most part and since people can hide behind an username they tend to be more abusive in nature. I am not saying all posts are this way, this is where a lot tend to be slanted.

You're right. Even though the lease deal was too good to pass up (since the shipping is basically refunded by returning my old box and my monthly fee increased $0), I had apprehensions basedon on what I read. The last thing I wanted was to now have a box that was more frustrating than useful. Maybe I waited long enough to get the kinks worked out, or I was lucky enough that it has worked very well for me.

I just wanted to provide some positive feedback because if other people are making their decisions based on this forum (like I almost did), then they might not get it. I am glad I did make the decision because I think the PQ has been excellent and I am very happy with the 811 especially with the $0 price tag.

This is a great forum, by the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)