New 811 UHF remote and batteries

jstorm42

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Duluth, Mn.
I've had the 811 for about 6 weeks now with mostly good success. My problem is the UHF remote. It has gone through 2 sets of fresh energizer batteries in that short of time. Anyone else burning up batteries?

Do you, by any chance, stuff your remote into a holder or anything. If so, make sure that the buttons don't get pushed while stored. My wife used to put our remote in a holder along with the TV Guide. The buttons got pushed and the batteries went dead all the time. That has stopped now.....

I had one that I used to sit face down on the coffee table so the cat wouldn't step on buttons at night. The weight of the remote resting on its own buttons was enough to register as a continual button press ....

Just to add my $0.02

I had the same problem with an 811 remote. (eating batteries at a rate of a set a month)

I phoned dish and they sent a new one. (If you have cc autopay, then the shipping is free!)

Call them!!!

I don't want to start a new thread so I'm asking this in here. I finally got my 811 yesterday after waiting three weeks and got it hooked up and working. My ? is why do you need the antenna screwed to the back for the remote to work and not only that but my remote hardly works even up close and the antenna is on tight and not touching anything. My 301 remote worked great from everywhere without the extra antenna so what gives? Thanks

You need the antenna because the 811 remote is a UHF Pro and only works on UHF for the receiver itself. It has IR but that is for other devices only. Have you checked the batteries in the remote? It should work from over 100' away. Do you have the antenna hooked up to the correct spot? It should be in the middle where it is designated "remote antenna."

I have not checked the batteries but will when I get home Sunday and yes I have it attached to the correct spot. Pardon my stupidity on these things, but what is the benefit of having it be UHF, is it for the extended range? I'm sorry for the dumb ?'s but this stuff is very confusing to me. Example when I was a teen I figured I could use my car stereo in my room so I twisted a cord together and plugged it into the wall (thank god for that best buy no lemon law) they were very confused on how I managed to fry the entire board :shocked Thanks for the answers, very much appreciated!

The UHF control allows you to place the unit behind a closed (opaque!) door in a cabinet and still be able to control the receiver _ smart huh? No IR (infra red) needed!

Also, I've seen a thread somewhere that if you're having reception problems then installing the little barrel attenuator between the antenna and the unit can help... Try it, but no promises!

Hope that helps.

I don't think the 811 is UHF only. It works with IR as well. But, the IR only works with address 1.

hzhao said:
I don't think the 811 is UHF only. It works with IR as well. But, the IR only works with address 1.

You are correct, the 811 receiver will accept either UHF or IR. However, the 811 remote only emits UHF to the receiver, although the other selections, TV, VCR and Aux, emit IR. If you are using the 811 remote, you must have the antenna hooked up to the receiver.

Oh, and by the way, my IR based Sony RM-AV3000 was programmed off of my 6000 remote for address 2 and it works just fine on the 811.

skidog said:
I have not checked the batteries but will when I get home Sunday and yes I have it attached to the correct spot. ....!

The 811 remote reception can be a little finicky. You may have to play with the orientation of the little antenna in the back of the receiver.

I had to set mine to about 20 degrees to get it to work at all. Straight up and down, absolutely wouldn't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)