"new" account help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bpendrak

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I had DTV service in my name for 11 years at my current address. Due to DTV's unwillingness to take care of me, 2 years ago we switched the service to my wife's name and received all of the new customer perks, etc. that we were looking for. Sadly, my wife left me approximately 6 months ago and currently lives with her mother (who has DTV already). I have been paying for the service, although in her name, instead of trying to get everything switched around. We agreed that, upon completion of her agreement, I would establish service in MY name again. That time has come; Her contract expires on 7-7-13. I began trying to setup service in my name today so as to not have an interruption in service. Unfortunately, I have only been given the runaround. I did all of my research and saw that Best Buy offered a $150 gift card for new customers. I attempted to sign up online but kept getting an error message. Therefore, I called DTV and was offered all of the "new customer" perks to RE-ESTABLISH service with my previous account. This all sounded acceptable until I asked about the $150 gift card. The rep then stated that he could not give me that promo since it was a "Best Buy thing". Therefore I told him that I would just go to my local Best Buy and sign up there. He stated that I would not be able to do that since there was already an account in my name; the "over-ride" could only be done at the corporate level. Believing that the DTV rep was simply trying to force a sale on me, I visited my local BB and explained the situation. The young lady filled out all of the paper work and put me on the phone with the DTV rep to get me social sec. # for credit check. He eventually came back on the line and asked to speak with the sales rep. He explained to her that he could not continue due to the fact that they show the address currently has DTV service (but under a different name). She explained that it had been 2 years (minus 2 days) since an account had been in my name but he stated that he was unable to do anything. I then called DTV and, of course, they played it like it was all BB's fault. THEY were willing to give me the new customer deals BUT BB wouldn't give me the gift card. That is OBVIOUSLY not the case... it was the DTV rep that said he couldn't do anything! Does anybody have any suggestions, or should I just switch to Dish?

If you are happy with Direct, I would stay with them, get all new equipment and forget about the $150 gift card.

Jimbo,
If you re-read the original post, you should notice that the issue is NOT that I am expecting DTV to provide me with the BB cert. it is that DTV is STOPPING them from signing me up and receiving the certificate. DTV will "re-establish" my old account through THEIR corporate office, but is stopping me from starting a new account! It seems as if DTV is trying to prevent having me sign up through an outside service. THAT was the point!

Jimbo,
If you re-read the original post, you should notice that the issue is NOT that I am expecting DTV to provide me with the BB cert. it is that DTV is STOPPING them from signing me up and receiving the certificate. DTV will "re-establish" my old account through THEIR corporate office, but is stopping me from starting a new account! It seems as if DTV is trying to prevent having me sign up through an outside service. THAT was the point!

Gotcha,

By chance, did you have a balance when you changed to your wifes name ? (not saying you did). Did you leave on bad terms ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stream movies and you could win a $25,000 scholarship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)