New antenna, old cable connection?

Crew

Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Ohio
I'm looking into replacing my satellite dish with an OTA antenna and hopefully using the existing cables. My Direct TV set up has two cables running from the dish to a splitter box outside the house (one splitter input marked 18V, one 13V) and then cables running from the box to each TV. My question is can I just swap in the OTA antenna for the dish (connecting either the 18V or 13V cable to the antenna) with the splitter box continuing to do its thing?

Sounds like you are describing a multiswitch,maybe a 2x4. Two inputs on one side and 4 outputs on the other. You should replace it with a 2 way or 4 way TV splitter depending on how many TVs your connecting.

Thanks for the help. Made the connections with a splitter and I'm getting most of my local channels at 75-95 strength. The PBS stations are iffy, hovering around 55-65. I'm using the J-mount the satellite dish was in on the side of my house (about 15 feet off the ground). Do you think if I were to add 2-3 feet to that mount it could make a significant signal strength increase? I realize you don't know my surrounding topography or line of sight issues, but since the signals are intermittently there, I wondered if there is a general rule for minimum height increase to be effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts