New app this morning (locast beta)

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Good morning you guys just noticed it this morning there is a new app called locast it is not in apps section on your hopper 3 DVR it is in beta you have to go the featured section enter your info or sign up looks pretty good so far watching the Chicago stations here is their website that you folks can check them out
Home - Locast

I have it on my Roku but Portland OR is not listed.
Not yet six to seven cities so far they said more will be coming in the real soon from my own opinion it will be real so my question if they are taking the digital signals off the translator and send the signals via in the internet can they do ultra 4k hd (atsc 3.0) just an idea

Last edited:
I would like to see this as a means of delivering all of the local subchannels to our receivers, and also as a possible work-around during local channel disputes. I won't know for sure what this actually does until it becomes available here in the Cleveland market. Two of our channels are now off Dish (WKYC - NBC, and WQHS - Univision) so it would be nice to have a streaming option.

Not yet six to seven cities so far they said more will be coming in the real soon from my own opinion it will be real so my question if they are taking the digital signals off the translator and send the signals via in the internet can they do ultra 4k hd (atsc 3.0) just an idea
It won't do any good to send it in 4K until the production chain incorporates 4K and that won't happen for quite a while, especially for your locally produced content. The major networks are just now experimenting with producing sports in 4K as evidenced by the relative lack of content for the 4K channels that Dish and DirecTV have. Movies are about the only 4K content currently available.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have thought that this is pretty cool - Chicago had this option back in the early fall. But will this company get shut down like the Aereo did? Just seems like this is too good to be true to be able to get the locals without an antenna.

Reactions: pattykay
Home - Locast It's available without the Hopper as are a couple of other easier to sign up solutions to get locals if you want Network programming if you pay some.

I have thought that this is pretty cool - Chicago had this option back in the early fall. But will this company get shut down like the Aereo did? Just seems like this is too good to be true to be able to get the locals without an antenna.
The difference is that this is being integrated with our Dish receivers, which would seem to give it more legitimacy. They just need to roll it out to more markets, or Dish needs to facilitate "moving." That would likely get it shut down pretty quickly, though.

The difference is that this is being integrated with our Dish receivers, which would seem to give it more legitimacy. They just need to roll it out to more markets, or Dish needs to facilitate "moving." That would likely get it shut down pretty quickly, though.

I wonder if location is determined by DISH's service address of geo-location on the internet connection.

I wonder if location is determined by DISH's service address of geo-location on the internet connection.
I would assume through the internet connection, which would also make it more legitimate than the Dish-delivered locals. I am not going to try "moving" my service address to find out, though. Maybe someone else here can be the guinea pig for that experiment.

Reactions: JSheridan
Yeah I just noticed it this morning and I wanted to make sure to let you guys know about I just have a feeling that they will add more markets in the future right now it's these markets

Chicago
Phildapehia
New York
Boston
Houston
Dallas
Denver

I would think that the broadcasters would like this. If viewers on Locast cannot record or skip commercials, then that would mean more advertising revenue, to offset any lost re-transmission consent revenue.

I would like to see this as a means of delivering all of the local subchannels to our receivers, and also as a possible work-around during local channel disputes. I won't know for sure what this actually does until it becomes available here in the Cleveland market. Two of our channels are now off Dish (WKYC - NBC, and WQHS - Univision) so it would be nice to have a streaming option.
Okay, so now we are back down to just one missing channel. (Dish and Tegna reached a deal, so WKYC is back.) It would still be cool to have the streaming option, though.

Reactions: bluegras
Where do you find this app on the Hopper?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good morning hopper 3 DVR folks not in the apps section on your 52.0 remote press apps you will see a featured section scroll all way to your right to the locast app the app is still in beta so they are working on it and it's a start so far.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts