New baby on the way: Panasonic TC-P58S2

Both tech's have their pros and cons, but I just see less to complain about in a plasma. This LED LCD with Local Dimming is very nice, but Ive found motion blur quite bothers me. I've tried to fight it for a few months, but I can't stand it anymore. It's nice otherwise, except for blooming in dark scenes, and it still can't beat my 2008 plasma in blacks. The 2009 and 2010's improved even more with NeoPDP, so Im excited, plus gaining a little wider tv.

No cracks baby, she's already running slides! I fired up a little OTA content in Cinema mode first, and thats what I've been missing. Plasma and LCD's do have a much different look, and Im definitely a plasma guy. I now realize what they mean by more "natural", but in LCD's defense, they are a little more sharp, hence the "unnatural" comments.

No stuck/dead pixels, and a big jump from the 2008 is, the white slides are VERY white. The 2008 models had a greenish "blob" on the white slides, and I know others have had issues in the past, but these are white. The Today show OTA, looked VERY good, just in the stock Cinema mode. As expected, buzz is there, but only on full white slides. In a quiet room, I can hear the full white buzz at my seat, once it goes to gray the buzz is gone. In my experience, buzz has always only been on white.

White Slide
IMG_2192.jpg

From Side
IMG_2194.jpg

Green Slide
IMG_2195.jpg

Well, TV was close to 60 hours of slides when we fired it up tonight. Picture out of the box, with D-Nice's user menu settings, was very good (The UFC fight looked GREAT). I'm pleasantly surprised actually, at how good and warm it looks. PQ was very sharp on HD sat channels, more so than I remember on the 50" plasma. I have to wonder if they haven't improved these panels, but it's hard to tell because my 2008 was not a Neo PDP.

I also took the time to throw in a BR and as expected, it looked awesome too, and I also think this TV handles 2:3 pulldown better than my 2008 did.

Not quite sure what the deal is with the guys talking about a grainy image and gray blacks. Just more AVS nonsense I guess.

elway -
I just ordered the 50" G25 as my new bedroom set. I don't expect it to come close to matching my Pioneer 6020 but hope that it will look pretty good. It really is amazing how cheap these things are now. Got it for less than $1k delivered and no tax from an online retailer that I've used before (after talking to the salesman for a bit). This will be my first Panny so I'm anxious to see how it compares to the Kuro. I can't remember, did you ever have a Pioneer? If so how do you think the Pannys compare?

Nah, this is my 3rd Panny. The MLL has been measured at 0.008 to 0.009 on the G and S series, which is nice. I could see it last night, very dark blacks. I think the VT25 is better, but its the cream of the crop this year, and should be.

For a reference, my 2008 85u was about 0.016 MLL, so they are doing better. The uniformity in the screen during full screen color slides is also better than the 2008, and the buzz, on full white slides, is almost on nonexistent at 100 hours (where I am now).

The G25 is great outta the box with THX mode, and if you choose to calibrate it, it gives them more to work with. Only complaint might be that the gamma is a little lower this year (around 2.0), but I opted for the S2 with 1.9 gamma and no THX, because I got talked into the DVDO. I figure it allows me fix display issues, regardless of the display, in the future (spot on colors and grayscale/dial in gamma).

My S2 has saturated red, but I've not seen a plasma outta the box that didnt, and I feel it has a sharper and more colorful image than my 2008 did, even though its 8" larger diagonally.

Awesome bedroom set, but I'd not expect the blacks to meet the Kuro, since they were around 0.001-0.003, and have a great ANSI contrast ratio. The prices are LOW, I agree. You can get a 58" S2 for $1250 right now.

Yeah, I actually thought about the 58" but decided that was overkill for the bedroom so I went with the 50" - I guess some would say that was overkill too ;)

I had the Pioneer 6020 calibrated by DNice (from AVS) and it looks AMAZING. I probably won't bother with it on this one since I won't plan to do any really intense viewing on this set. I will probably apply Dnice's settings and see how it looks but don't think it is worth spending the money for a full calibration.

Should be delivered by the end of this week. Here's to hoping for no broken glass! The first Pioneer I got delivered had a shattered screen and it was heartbreaking to have to box it back up and get another sent. Hopefully I won't have to go through that with this set.

Ouch, I've been lucky with deliveries. I think, with THX mode, you'll not mind the look in the bedroom, and pick up the Spears and Munsil disc (if you don't already have it) and use it to fine tune.

I was surprised how imposing the 58" is compared to the 55", but it's 15% more screen :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts