Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
New Beta DirecTV feature for HR2x & R22 receivers that are internet connected:

DirecTV TVApps

First, some basics from DirecTV:

The TVApps will be available Friday June 19th early morning.

-) The site is: http://tvapps.directv.com

-) All DIRECTV internet connected receivers will be able to access TVApps by pressing on the right arrow on the remote control or front panel

-) Users can begin submitting new TVApps by accessing the developers section accessible from a link on the bottom of the website

This is a unique feature similiar to the Windows Sidebar. Pressing the RIGHT arrow will bring up your TV Apps, and you'll receive current information. The TV Apps site allows you to select what will show on your receiver.

Apps consist of all sorts of things: weather, sports, even the "What's Hot" feed.

You can also develop your own Apps and submit them to DirecTV for approval/implementation. There is a special format needed and software / instructions are available at the TV Apps site.

This is a beta product, there are bound to be bugs, and there will be improvements over time. Enjoy, and please post your feedback for DirecTV.

Some key things that aren't available yet, that hopefully DirecTV will have in the future, is stock apps, news apps, and possibly something to read RSS feeds for capturing headlines.

Interesting concept.

It seems useful for getting quick info.

Some key things that aren't available yet, that hopefully DirecTV will have in the future, is stock apps, news apps, and possibly something to read RSS feeds for capturing headlines.

Just looked at the developer section. It's basically a 400x300 image served up from a web server. An RSS feed would be possible but kind of limited. Could even make a satellite guys headline app.

The only complaint I would have so far it that it does not stay loaded through channel changes

I like the clock but hate having to start it with every channel change is a little bit of a problem

When I go to the weather app, it says to select 'options' to choose my city and zipcode. Am I supposed to have an 'options' button on my remote control ? Because I sure can't find it.

Really, doesn't options show at the bottom?

When I go to the weather app, it says to select 'options' to choose my city and zipcode. Am I supposed to have an 'options' button on my remote control ? Because I sure can't find it.
:rant: Options for all the Tvapps show for me at the bottom of the displayed TVapp, one must tap left/west arrow to activate the options (turns golden in color)! Otherwise, one can go to the website quoted in the first post of this thread and setup preferences and/or verify with get more information!
However, options seem to disappear when the dock disappears to the right/east; although the tvapp will remain displayed until change channel or exit, etc. :angel:

I'm not in the beta program but it is on both of my boxes.

Found it last night when I fell asleep on the remote.

Has anyone else noticed a jittery picture after this beta was introduced? Or is that a symptom of the latest software that was released? Either way, my picture stutters every few seconds, though it comes and goes.

I'm not in the beta program but it is on both of my boxes.

Found it last night when I fell asleep on the remote.

It's now public beta, so on all HR2x / R22 receivers.

Falling asleep on the remote is dangerous, could delete something ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)