New bug or faulty hws?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

huskerhead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
Urbandale, Iowa
Just started happening within the past few weeks. Watching a recorded program and the screen goes dark and loss of sound. Rewind ten seconds and all is fine. Kind of annoying. So, is it a bug or a failing hws?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

When the black screen is displayed, does the banner appear when you press the Select button on the remote? Have you unplugged the HWS for 10 seconds to have the receiver reboot? Please let me know. Thanks.

Just started happening within the past few weeks. Watching a recorded program and the screen goes dark and loss of sound. Rewind ten seconds and all is fine. Kind of annoying. So, is it a bug or a failing hws?

Just a few days ago, I tried to watch a program while it was being recorded, and all I got was a blank screen with a "pause" icon on it. It wouldn't respond to the pause, play, forward, or reverse buttons. After I played a different recording and went back to the original, everything was fine.

I will unplug the hws and report back after we watch a few recordings.
As for the first question regarding the banner I'm not sure if it did display but will check that too. Thanks.

Just happened again while watching a recorded PTAT show. Went dark and yes, the title came up. Video/sound came back on it's own ten seconds later. Hit the back button to where it went dark and was able to watch the missed ten seconds. I did unplug for ten or twenty seconds before watching a recording.

This is happening with multiple recordings from the sound of it, yes ? If it was just one, I'd say it was a glitch while recording and not worry about it.

Personally, don't record a bunch of stuff that you'll want to watch later.... ;) I'd probably insist on a replacement (and a NEW one - downside is, now that you're a customer, if only for a week or a month, they may give you a refurbished unit).

Yeah it's been on multiple recordings. Have replaced this box twice in two years I think. Not a huge deal but more of an annoyance. So...DIRT, any chance at getting a brand new box instead of a refurb?

Ooops, I misread your title and when I saw "new", I missed the word "bug". I was thinking either this was a new Hopper (installation - you upgraded from a previous receiver) or you were a "new" customer.

If DIRT can pull off getting you a new receiver, they'd better not mention that here and they should ask you not to acknowledge it if you do get one. I don't believe that they have this ability to override the system. Probably the only way to get a new one is to have a technician come out and replace the box - to my knowledge, they don't have refurbished boxes (maybe they do though).

Good point. I wouldn't expect new anyway. The replacements have been returns...one beat to heck. Turned out (which I figured) the receivers weren't the issue with one being to play back a recording from the other. That was microscopic wire particles in the barrel connectors causing those issues. Been issue free for months on that issue.

If you are going on your third receiver there may be something else that is causing the receiver to go bad maybe bad cable low frequency device maybe a bad node. I was on a job that the lady was on her third hopper with in 6 months she had non 3ghz cable feeding hopper low freq barrel hidden in line as well as a faulty outlet, wasn't putting out enough volts. People are always so quick to replace a receiver when something is causing the issues. Just my two cents.

Hey, I'm all for keeping the receivers. It's the csr's that are quick to suggest replacing over my objections. Luckily the last tech that came out knew exactly what needed to be done.

Refurbs not returns.
Same thing ultimately though ! Return, gets refurbished, then sent out to current customers for replacement. I'm surprised you rec'd one you describe as "beat to heck". The ones I've always rec'd, from 622 to 722k have always looked brand new, to the point I was certain they actually replaced the outside enclosure portion.

Refurbs (STB's) can often be better than NEW. I don't have a problem with Dish replacing any of my STB's with a refurb as long as it is cosmetically looking like new.

The advantage to a refurb over a new reciever, is that a refurb one has already had a known fail point replaced, then tested non stop and cleared after that. Both my hoppers are not anywhere someone actually looks in my rooms, so even if there were dings and scratches, I wouldn't mind. And they are even in the center of the room, in plain view. They are just low on my entertainment centers and not the focal point.

When the black screen is displayed, does the banner appear when you press the Select button on the remote? Have you unplugged the HWS for 10 seconds to have the receiver reboot? Please let me know. Thanks.
Ray, it is still happening even after unplugging both hws. What else can I try? Thanks.

Are you watching content from the other HWS when it happens? If you remove one Hws from power and coax and view from the other dies it continue to happen? Are both your hws broadband connected? Is bridging enabled?

Happens while viewing recorded programming on both (both while viewing recorded video from other hws and main one). Yes, of course broadband and bridge enabled. Haven't unplugged one totally from system though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)