New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

I sent a message to Dish on Facebook about the extreme sluggishness with the U234 update on Hopper with Sling and this was the response "Hello Mark. Thank you for both of the feedbacks. Some customers have reported issues with the UI. We are having it addressed and expect an update or patch soon. I don't have more details except soon. Just please be sure that Hopper and Joeys are turned off nightly to receive any updates or patches. -Marek L"

I really miss the 4X fast forward while watching the Cleveland Indians baseball. I used to be able to watch the batters using 4X speed. I would then skip back when a hit was made. This allowed me to watch the high points of the game similar to the Red Zone for football. Obviously 15X does not work and skipping ahead is much harder to pinpoint the hits. Hopefully, Dish will react to the chorus of negative comments and bring back the 4X speed.

We've had the new CUI on our two Hopper 2's and Joey for about 10 days now, and I have to say we're getting accustomed to it pretty easily. We do see some minor delays on screen changes at times, but nothing approaching annoying. I think the hardest delay to get used to was the slow power light reaction after pressing the power on button. Now it doesn't bother us at all though. Finding our way through the new screens was a learning experience, but not really any different than navigating the menus on a new TV or computer program. The missing 4X FF is a minor annoyance at times, so I do hope they'll restore that at some point, but over all we haven't felt the change was anywhere near as bad as we were led to believe it would be, and we've pretty easily adapted to it.

Look at my post a few minutes ago in the thread "Issues Surrounding CUI Update."

It keeps getting worse. I now think of it as the Garbage User Interface.

Good for you if you don't see the problems others do. Or if you don't care. But the fact is, Dish removed features we liked and used. Dish released something quite a bit slower on the HWS, and WAY slower on the H2000. Dish released something unstable (again, see my post in the other thread- I have photographic proof).

A few bones thrown our way do not compensate.

Reactions: ekilgus and Jim S.
Look at my post a few minutes ago in the thread "Issues Surrounding CUI Update."

It keeps getting worse. I now think of it as the Garbage User Interface.

Good for you if you don't see the problems others do. Or if you don't care. But the fact is, Dish removed features we liked and used. Dish released something quite a bit slower on the HWS, and WAY slower on the H2000. Dish released something unstable (again, see my post in the other thread- I have photographic proof).

A few bones thrown our way do not compensate.

I have two H2's, one updated immediately and is so slow, very slow. The other one was trying to update in a constant update loop trying over and over for days a couple hundred downloads and reboots is fast and smooth. Although the other day when selecting a recording to watch the screen would go black. I unplugged it, as I do and did with new updates, for 10 minutes and it's been working ever since.

On updates and UI renovations DISH has never been the sharpest tack in the box. This whole exercise seems to be a classic "wrangle of sheeple" to move them to newer more expensive equipment. There are some neat new operational flows, but they dead end when they should continue to a meaningful conclusion. And functions that dead end immediately. Once again DISH not being too sharp on how UI's should function.

I was calling the UI C(G)UI as in Carbon (really Grey) UI. But "Garbage" works for me.

Here is a list of the positive features on the HWS with the CUI.

None

Negative features.

Too many to list.
2 1/2 hour guide instead of 3 to cover PTAT.
Colors should have choices for various options. Both defaults are not easy to focus on.
Watching a movie on the EHD and having to go thru the entiries twice to watch a movie.
Old search features were much easier.
Timers not recording 100% of the time.
Timers disappearing.
New timers not showing as new in the guide and not recording.
etc: etc:
Agree, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the positives. I haven't had issues with the timers, but here's my list of negatives:
  • Slow
  • 2.5 hour guide instead of 3
  • No 4x ff
  • No search history that I can see
  • More button presses in search to get to the results
  • Can't hold down the 30s skip button to advance 3 - 4 minutes at a time, have to press button several times. Previously I could hold down the button for a second or two and the system would advance 3 - 4 minutes at a time, one press
  • SOLVED - Not able to get to scheduled recordings easily that I can figure out. I have to press the DVR button then use arrow keys several times to get to the scheduled tab. Previously I could just press the button 3 times. I'm not actually quite sure of the sequence on the stock remote. On Harmony remote, you can program a macro to run several keystrokes, so it was like pushing one button.

Last edited:
Agree, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the positives. I haven't had issues with the timers, but here's my list of negatives:
  • Slow
  • 2.5 hour guide instead of 3
  • No 4x ff
  • No search history that I can see
  • More button presses in search to get to the results
  • Can't hold down the 30s skip button to advance 3 - 4 minutes at a time, have to press button several times. Previously I could hold down the button for a second or two and the system would advance 3 - 4 minutes at a time, one press
  • Not able to get to scheduled recordings easily that I can figure out. I have to press the DVR button then use arrow keys several times to get to the scheduled tab. Previously I could just press the button 3 times. I'm not actually quite sure of the sequence on the stock remote. On Harmony remote, you can program a macro to run several keystrokes, so it was like pushing one button.
All you have to do is hit the DVR button then hit the skip button and you will be on the schedule tab.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It was clearly designed for more powerful hardware (the Hopper 3) so this isn't likely to change.... All Dish could do to make it faster is major optimization of code, but I would ask why that isn't (wasn't) done from the start ? Hell, it would make it even faster on the H3.

More button presses in search to get to the results
It takes (1) button press to access the results. As you type, you see it narrowing down the results and it lists the (10) closest matches. Just press the 0-9 key that corresponds to the result you're looking for.

Reactions: JSheridan
It was clearly designed for more powerful hardware (the Hopper 3) so this isn't likely to change.... All Dish could do to make it faster is major optimization of code, but I would ask why that isn't (wasn't) done from the start ? Hell, it would make it even faster on the H3.

Perhaps, but, then again, perhaps not. The Hopper 3, with its 16 tuners, probably has way more RAM than the H2000 and HWS, so a code optimization for less powerful systems may not make it any faster on the H3. Depends on what it was written in and how much it depends on what kind of resources, but, if it is relying on copious amounts of RAM to operate well, then there may not be anything to be done about the older Hoppers.

It takes (1) button press to access the results. As you type, you see it narrowing down the results and it lists the (10) closest matches. Just press the 0-9 key that corresponds to the result you're looking for.
I meant after you get to the actual episodes results. It dumps you on the Summary tab, then you have to advance to the Episodes tab, then you have to expand each Season just to get to the list of episode results. If there's a quick to immediately get to all the episode results, please let me know.

Except when the program you're searching for doesn't appear, because the EPG doesn't go out that far. Then you're SOL.

Used to be, you could set that to record anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts