jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Important Note:

Please note that the video processing has move from the CPU to the graphics card .. This will be GREAT for those of you that have appropriate hardware, but will cause those without appropriate hardware to lose video altogether. Please bear this in mind.

Also, please, please, please .. DO NOT CALL/EMAIL CUSTOMER SUPPORT about this beta version. This is an unsupported version at this time. While DIRECTV may be aware of the version that is on their site, this version of DIRECTVPC is pre-beta. Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________ ___________

The Contents of this CE Download: (Differences based on last National Release)

DirecTV2PC Version 4815
Download Link:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/ce/DIRECTV.v4815.zip

New features
  • Video Acceleration when available
  • Support for Friendly Names
  • Offer "Retry" when content cannot be played due to HDCP support issue
  • Change activation key: when receiving "incorrect activation key"
  • New EULA (please read)
  • Prevent screen capture of D2PC app
  • Ability to connect to update server

Improved/Updated
  • Trick Play
  • video / audio mismatch in FF mode
  • Lip sync issues
  • Server lookup/connection consistency
  • Parental: when no PIN, default setting is unlocked
  • Edge sharpness during playback in full screen
  • ATSC playback audio
  • Video lockup when changing audio/video several times
  • parental controls
  • refined "Download now" behavior
  • Closed Captioning
  • Fixed Ctrl-P so that it will pause
  • Improved playback when USB device in use
  • Closed Captioning on Intel platform
  • "Showcase" tab is now "Top Movies"

Notes
  • For the people experiencing "an error has occurred", uninstall and scrub disk+registry (if practical), then reinstall.
  • For the copy protection issues - check driver/device settings to enable h/w encryption/decryption, if such setting can be found

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an issue un-installing the existing DirecTV2PC software, a user from DBStalk posted detailed instructions on how to scrub the old version off, including registry.

Click here to review his work:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1632501#post1632501

You do have to be registered at DBStalk to see this. If anyone particular needs it and cannot register there, let me know and I'll forward it to you. I don't want to copy it because it has several screen captures.

If anybody need any help with this, you can always PM. I will be more happy to help you.

Hi guy,
I'm trying to set up this Pre Beta D to PC thing, had the old one working, went thru the installation, it uninstalled the old automatically ...
I get to the spot where it asks for the serial number, do we actually use our serial number or is there something else we need to put there?

Jimbo

Hi guy,
I'm trying to set up this Pre Beta D to PC thing, had the old one working, went thru the installation, it uninstalled the old automatically ...
I get to the spot where it asks for the serial number, do we actually use our serial number or is there something else we need to put there?

Jimbo

Use your old serial number.

Hi guy,

Jimbo

You use that Key that they sent you went you first signed up for the orignal version. They Sent a key by email to you.

The key is the Serial Number.

You use that Key that they sent you went you first signed up for the orignal version. They Sent a key by email to you.

The key is the Serial Number.

Unfortunately I no longer have that email.
What do I do now.
I have downloaded the program and it has removed the old program and now I cannot d/l the new one due to not having the number.

You would have thought that if the program removed the old program and it needed a number from it, that it would have kept it as well. ugh.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbo, just go to
DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

Redownload the beta software, give your email address when asked.

After the download is done, a new serial number is emailed to you.

Install the new pre-beta instead of the one you downloaded to get the key.

Really? then likely they also don't need to be messing around with advanced uses of PCs or media gear either..

I sometimes wish the DBS companies would stay out of this kind of stuff; it is NOT their core business and users that can't figure it out lay everything at their feet. There are too many variables in these things and its best that it should be left the 3rd party companies to manage and direct it (with background DirecTV guidance) and ONLY advanced users; or those that have a clue as to whom to direct issues to; should even be trying to use it. NOT EVERYONE should be trying to keep up with the next hot thing. Most users usually "cheap out" and their systems just aren't up to snuff and they can't accept that; hell, most don't even know what top operating specs really are. IMHO

Really? then likely they also don't need to be messing around with advanced uses of PCs or media gear either..

I sometimes wish the DBS companies would stay out of this kind of stuff; it is NOT their core business and users that can't figure it out lay everything at their feet. There are too many variables in these things and its best that it should be left the 3rd party companies to manage and direct it (with background DirecTV guidance) and ONLY advanced users; or those that have a clue as to whom to direct issues to; should even be trying to use it. NOT EVERYONE should be trying to keep up with the next hot thing. Most users usually "cheap out" and their systems just aren't up to snuff and they can't accept that; hell, most don't even know what top operating specs really are. IMHO

Or can afford them.

Well thanks to the help here I was able to get this working now.

It still has trouble finding the rec. If you try 2-3 times it will find it and work.

I got my program to play and it worked fine until I decided to FF or rewind, from that point forward, I get NO Video and stuttered audio and it will not clear up without restarting the program.

Jimbo

I wonder how many people go out and buy a high end video card but aren't aware that their power supply may not handle the additional load?

Sadly, more than a few. or have low and/or weak memory, weak mobos, tons of background running processes and/or unneeded loaded crap.

Last edited:
What type of file is this? When I unzip it it is an unknown file type.

Nevermind. Got it. It is a zip. Had to rename it to .zip .

Last edited:
I wonder how many people go out and buy a high end video card but aren't aware that their power supply may not handle the additional load?

I come from a technology background. I have a CIS degree and used to be very on top of hardware and build my own PCs. These days I dont want to fuss with it. I really believe these initiatives need to be simple and plug-n-play in order to obtain any sort of widespread adoption. People want to be able to install the program and know it's going to work without any hastle. I dont think they should have to worry about buying video cards or have a PC bought within the last 6 months. There's has to be a better way to do what they're doing. Seems like all the processing is pushed to the PC and/or video card. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that grandma's old PC from 2001 should work, but it's tilted to far in one direction here.. a product strictly for geeks.

I come from a technology background. I have a CIS degree and used to be very on top of hardware and build my own PCs. These days I dont want to fuss with it. I really believe these initiatives need to be simple and plug-n-play in order to obtain any sort of widespread adoption. People want to be able to install the program and know it's going to work without any hastle. I dont think they should have to worry about buying video cards or have a PC bought within the last 6 months. There's has to be a better way to do what they're doing. Seems like all the processing is pushed to the PC and/or video card. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that grandma's old PC from 2001 should work, but it's tilted to far in one direction here.. a product strictly for geeks.

Thats why this is strictly CE stuff at this time.

This seems to be a much better implementation putting in on the video card. I have an onboard ATI 3200 (inexpensive) that handles the video just fine. The previous Beta hogged most of the CPU so everything I did concurrently would cause the video and computer to stutter and perform slow.

My vote is to run the Beta DirecTV2PC on my underutilized Video processor.

My problem is that I can't get past the activate button...I know I can access the internet, but I have Norton and don't know how to shut it off so I can connect...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)