New CE Feature: Welcome To Widgets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure about this? This is what I get:

This site is an expansion of the Cutting Edge program

For more information about the Cutting Edge program: DBSTalk.com's Cutting Edge Forums

iamanedgecutter.com is not affiliated with DBSTalk.com; AVSForums.com; or DirecTV

I corrected the link in the update.

iamanedgecutter.com is simply a data collection site used for the CE program.

AFIK only one receiver at this time per tester...

I have just verified this is correct.

ONLY ONE receiver can be applied for the widget trial program.

Do not submit multiple applications to cover additional receivers - just choose which one you want to test this feature out on.

Is this a "real" beta program? Is it officially sponsored by D*? The reason I ask is I just did a WHOIS check on iamanedgecutter.com and it comes back as one of those (IMHO) shady "DomainsByProxy" registrations.

Based on what I see on the sign-up verification form, there is nothing I could be asked for and provide that would give someone some sort of illegal access to my system or my account with D*. I know this may seem to sound paranoid, but in my time in the CE program, I never saw anything before about this website/domain. And if it were an official part of D*'s development, wouldn't they NOT hide behind DomainsByProxy? :rolleyes:

Oh well...either way, count me as signed up and verified? :D :up

Ok, time for the Stupid question :

What is a WIDGET , what does it do, do I want one(it) ???

Jimbo

If you have Vista or a Mac, you can use widgets on a sidebar of the desktop. There are hundreds of types to choose from (RSS readers, Stock tickers, CPU meters, Moon Phase display, etc). They are just little background running programs that are easy to access from the desktop and show a current running supply of information.

I would imagine that a base D* widget would be some sort of semi-transparent "Space Available" or "Time Remaining" meter that would simply display over the current programming without having to go into MENU, LIST, GUIDE, etc. Something non-obtrusive like the blue button "quick guide".

Is this a "real" beta program? Is it officially sponsored by D*? The reason I ask is I just did a WHOIS check on iamanedgecutter.com and it comes back as one of those (IMHO) shady "DomainsByProxy" registrations.

Based on what I see on the sign-up verification form, there is nothing I could be asked for and provide that would give someone some sort of illegal access to my system or my account with D*. I know this may seem to sound paranoid, but in my time in the CE program, I never saw anything before about this website/domain. And if it were an official part of D*'s development, wouldn't they NOT hide behind DomainsByProxy? :rolleyes:

Oh well...either way, count me as signed up and verified? :D :up

Don't worry about the iamanedgecutter.com site registration. It was started by Earl B a year ago or so to collect data on different parts of the CE program when needed. I think the first thing it was used for is collecting info on incorrect OTA stations info in the guide, or something like that.

It hasn't been used very often - but meets the need for something like this. The clear advantage is using a seperate data-collection site like this allows members of both forums to participate, something we have been working to acheive for a while now.

Widgets will be the first test outside of the traditional CE software downloads available to Satelliteguys members.

OK, just had an issue with my receiver that I'm reporting in the CE thread as well as the widget thread.

Watching a recording of the Braves vs. Cubs from 6/11 on channel 206 - ESPN (MPEG2 HD) Hit the right button to test the widget bar and the screen went black, then the widget bar opened. Close the widget bar, screen stayed black. Audio continued. I hit info and play, both showed the info or timebar as usual. I toggled to the previous channel and video came back. Toggled back to the recording and the video played as normal.

Yes. It is a hardwire connection. VOD works.

firmware 0x245.

When I push the right arrow key the drv makes that sound it makes when something is not available. Not sure how to describe it lol.
I retested my network connection, all is ok.

Yes. It is a hardwire connection. VOD works.

firmware 0x245.

When I push the right arrow key the drv makes that sound it makes when something is not available. Not sure how to describe it lol.
I retested my network connection, all is ok.

Only other thing I can think of is trying a reboot. You are pressing the right arrow, correct?

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Don't worry about the iamanedgecutter.com site registration. It was started by Earl B a year ago or so to collect data on different parts of the CE program when needed. I think the first thing it was used for is collecting info on incorrect OTA stations info in the guide, or something like that.

It hasn't been used very often - but meets the need for something like this. The clear advantage is using a seperate data-collection site like this allows members of both forums to participate, something we have been working to acheive for a while now.

Widgets will be the first test outside of the traditional CE software downloads available to Satelliteguys members.
Excellent clarification...thanks

UPDATE: The first round of invitations for testing has been sent via private message. Please understand that the first round of testers is VERY small compared to the number of submissions. More testers will be added in the days & weeks ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)