New channel coming to Albany NY market with 9 subchannels

I was stunned by that news until I read that many of them are audio only.

Why on earth would you get excited by that many subchannels? Having 4 is bad enough. I'd hate to see the picture quality if you had 9 video subchannels. It would probably make low quality look like HD.

There is a religious channel to the south that has 5 channels that look good but they are all 480i. It looks like this channel is doing the same but shifting a small portion of the bandwidth to 5 audio channels. On an old TV it will look fine but an HDTV will show blockiness.

If they were all TV channels it would look like some of the low quality satellite FTA channels with similar bit rates. They are watchable but ugly on a big TV.

Couple things
TBN (religious) does 5 480i channels on their digital channels (TBN, Smile of a Child, Church, JCTV & Enlance)
We have a EWTN station that does 5 channels...a EPG, 3 of EWTN and one that has other programming

It can be done....there is one in San Fran that has 12 video and 9 audio on one channel :eek:
KAXT-CA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

folks that can get it say the pic isnt that bad.

But dang.. America One, Tuff TV & AMG on one channel? sweet :)
(although TuffTV looks like hell on the "master" feed to begin with...this may not be much better)

Looking at the current OTA offerings in the area, anything is welcome. Anyone hear any updates on this? I dont care a whole lot about things being transmitted in HD quality or close to it. Half of the shows werent recorded that high of a quality anyway. I think sometimes it actually makes the blockiness more noticable. Seems like the equivalent of plugging an old transister mono radio into a Dolby surround receiver. Not gonna buy you much.

As far as I know this channel is still on the air but it is not receivable where I am as the mountains east of the transmitter shield the signal from reaching eastern Greene or Columbia county and on south. Check TV Fool to see if you can get it where you are. The local cable system carries it here but the audio is screwed up on most of the sub channels.

I may have to run some wire up the hill for this. Ironically, they claim to serve Cobleskill which is about 5 miles from me, yet I get no signal with my normal antenna. I do get Albany channels pretty well. Maybe time for a motorized bigger antenna setup.

We have two PBS feeds channel 2.1 and channel 44.1. Channel 2.1 is WGBH out of Boston, back on the day 44.1 WGBX was just a mirror of channel 2 for the western part of Massachusetts. Not any longer, although they both have some programming in common. Anyway 44.1 has 3 sub channels 2.2, 44.3, and 44.4. I'm not a HD snob (I don't use the term to be derogatory but to be descriptive) but the PQ on these sub channels is just fine. It's not HD but it is better than the SD we had on dish...go figure. Of course OTA HD is better than Dish HD as well.
I have a rudimentary understanding of the process, the more sub channels that are using the bandwidth the lower the PQ, however I would think that the PQ of the program being broadcast would have a lot to do with the PQ at the TV?

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts