New Channel Discussions and Impressions

I just got my ViP622 reinstalled, but just since Saturday the quality on my HD channels looks better. Maybe I just missed having HD, but I would be interested to know if the bitrates went up after they dropped Voom.
Nope, the Voom channels are still live on the satellite, just not linked into the EPG anymore. If your HD looks better, its not because of any changes to Voom.

Tennis channel looks like 720 at best, up-converted SD more likely. It's actually slightly blurry, and yes I am on the HD channel.

Smithsonian is not the same caliber as the VOOM channels it supposedly replaces. Not in PQ or in Programming.

Travel Channel looks great. Hallmark looks good, the programming isn't my thing but the PQ holds up.

These are just my overall impressions so far. Not real thrilled in light of VOOM being dropped.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying Smithsonian...Watching a show on the Mary Celeste right now, the PQ is outstanding. But, it doesn't make up for 15. ;)

The best thing by far of the additions is Travel, because the PQ of the SD channel is inexcusably, inexplicably, utter garbage. After that, I'll probably watch Smithsonian occasionally and MGM rarely. Everything else, I could live with the SD version. I watched Voom more than I'll watch all of the additions combined.

The best thing by far of the additions is Travel, because the PQ of the SD channel is inexcusably, inexplicably, utter garbage. After that, I'll probably watch Smithsonian occasionally and MGM rarely. Everything else, I could live with the SD version. I watched Voom more than I'll watch all of the additions combined.

MGM, Smithsonian, and 5-Star Max (if it's actually in HD) are the only ones that I will watch. Everything else could have been held back until the content is actually in HD, which is probably about the time (knock on wood) E* might have the new sat up.

Anyone having issues with the channel additions. For example the Hallmark Movie channel tunes in on HD but will freeze and the SD channel stays at acquiring signal.

I just noticed my signal is down across the board as low as 18 on 110 which use to be in the 50s

Last edited:
Here is my take on the last couple of days.

It is very unlike E* to throw channels up so quickly. It is obvious that they knew they were taking down VOOM and HAD to put something else up. I think this is part of the problem why Hallmark Channel is having issues, 5-Star Max isn't HD, Cartoon Network has popping sounds, etc. I think they rushed it and figured the subs wouldn't care that it was done so poorly.

After soaking in the loss of VOOM, I've decided that I understand why they did it and I'm okay with it. I loved having VOOM and I particularly liked watching WorldCinemaHD (which left May 1), MonstersHD and RaveHD. While I liked those channels, I spoke with some other HD subs at my work and they were excited to hear about the new stations and really didn't understand what I meant when I said VOOM was gone! VOOM is not gonna lose them as many customers as they will gain by adding mainstream HD channels, no matter how much HD they contain.

$40/month with the HD only package, locals, DVR and 1¢ Cinemax, it is the best deal in town. With or without VOOM. I'll manage.

I haven't watched too much of the new channels but I like ESPN News HD, MGM HD, Smithsonian & Travel HD. Once they add more content and get the kinks worked out, I'm sure I'll enjoy 5-Star MAX the most. My daughter appreciates the Disney Channels.

Oh... does anyone else with the HD Only pack have the SD versions of the new channel launches? They are marked as unsubscribed on my box. Do I just need a reboot?

I'm with you. I miss Monsters HD, I could live without the rest, but I'm over it now. Sometimes you have to see the forest thru the trees, and I'm just hoping that Dish has a long-term battle plan for competition.

I dropped the at200 dvr advantage package yesterday. I now have the HD only paki plus HD locals, HBO, Starx & the .01 cent Cinemax pak. I was paying $101 per month tax included. Now my bill wil be 62.99 plus tax, so I am saving over $30 per month. I have all the channels that I want except Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)