New Comcast commercial, Voom included

negreenfield

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 24, 2004
I was on my drive home today and Comcast actually has a commercial about Voom going away and is including us in their ditch the dish get $400 deal. It was kinda funny because it started out as, "1 out of the top 3 satellite providers is closing their doors at the end of the month, but don't worry Voom customers, Comcast has you covered!" and then proceeded to explain that Comcast is offering us the $400 for ditch the dish for us too.

I was already scheduled for Comcast on Saturday the 23rd so I already told the CSR that I had a "satellite service" but expected to be turned down for the $400 when I showed them my Voom receipt, but apparently I'm in good shape. I'm still a little skeptical but I'll find out for sure on Saturday.....

BTW, I dont' know what regions this deal is in but I'm here in Atlanta. The $400 is spread out over 16 months.

I told them I have voom and they offered me the $400 / 16 mo deal. Over the phone they explaned that the installer may want to verify my last bill from voom, but when he arrived he saw the dish and didn't even ask for paperwork.

thats the deal they gave me, 25 dollar discount for 16 months, free installation, 10/month to lease HD dvr, and 5/month to lease regular HD receiver

They don't have as much content as Voom, but more than dish and dtv, the HD quality is good, no expensive output for receivers, and no contract commitment

I have to admit their OnDemand is very cool

I will have Voom on until the end

I received the same deal but with broadband internet for 29.99 for the 16 month's. I have to give them two receivers for two HD Dvr's I'am getting. I have a bunch of directv receivers they can have.The deal I got is from Comcast just south of Chicago. I got the gold package.

mitpdub said:
I told them I have voom and they offered me the $400 / 16 mo deal. Over the phone they explaned that the installer may want to verify my last bill from voom, but when he arrived he saw the dish and didn't even ask for paperwork.
LOL, that's what I was thinking might happen. A lot of time the installers could care less.

Well, it's good news to hear others are getting the deal already, I went with Platinum, solely because of the $400/16, saving $25 a month seemed like it was the most worth it to get the highest package.

I already have high-speed internet with them and phone service, though I'll probably move to Vonage...

I just hung up the phone with comcast...s. florida and they will offered the following..1 hd receiver w/dvr, 2 sd receivers and a fourth tv installed which would include hbo, cinemax, and starz for 60.99/mo for 1 year + 16.99 installment fee. However, they want me to give them either a letter from voom indicating their termination (which I have not received yet), or the voom receivers (they preferred the receivers). Any comments on this deal?

Comcast

negreenfield said:
BTW, I dont' know what regions this deal is in but I'm here in Atlanta. The $400 is spread out over 16 months.

Got the same offer here in Baltimore from Comcast. Amounts to $25 off per month for 16 months. They also have some 12 month offers too in some areas. Baltimore city offers even differ from Baltimore county offers. Also no VOD yet in Baltimore city whereas the county has had it for a long time.

Comcast wants Voom receivers?

sabo2 said:
I just hung up the phone with comcast...s. florida and they will offered the following..1 hd receiver w/dvr, 2 sd receivers and a fourth tv installed which would include hbo, cinemax, and starz for 60.99/mo for 1 year + 16.99 installment fee. However, they want me to give them either a letter from voom indicating their termination (which I have not received yet), or the voom receivers (they preferred the receivers). Any comments on this deal?

What is the deal on trading in receivers ?
What if you where leasing ??

Seems like an odd advertisement !

I believe Comcast is assuming that Voom will not be picking up the receivers upon termination of their service

Back when I was on E*, I got the $400/16 month deal about a 10 months ago, and not only did the installer not ask to see any paperwork or take any equipment away, I kept E* up & running for months afterward to satisfy my 1-year contract.

It seems to be region- and installer-dependent as to what they'll want to see or take away when they get there.

One wonders what Comcast is doing with all these reject receivers. :)

I am getting installed on Friday and if they want a receiver I will just fork over a old directv receiver. The CSR said that they need the receiver as proof of being a previous Sat sub.

Question. I am getting one HD-DVR and 2 digital boxes in my install. I called them back wondering about getting another HD-DVR and she said that it will be another 6.95 on top of the original 6.95 for the additional box. Is she just blowing smoke at me or is that normal? This might be a dumb question, but once I get installed and have my 1 HD receiver hooked up, will I be able to watch HD channels on my other 2 receivers or will I just be stuck watching on the one receiver?

No one is being too clear about final pricing. $25 off what? Contemplating a single HDPVR receiver only with all offered HD programming. Have been reluctant to call at this point, but did make an e-mail inquiry a few minutes ago. Any info will be appreciated.

Your monthly programming will be $25 less for 16 months. Here they are just asking for April's bill from your dish company.

My local company is offering just 12 months and 9.95 install. Plus another 9.95 for the HDDVR receiver/recorder. Not quite sure about the programming since my reply was by e-mail, and I have not yet spoken to anyone.

Do i have to get a separate cable box for each TV I have or can I run 2 tv's off one box?

VOOMER said:

What is the deal on trading in receivers ?
What if you where leasing ??

Seems like an odd advertisement !

If you're leasing the boxes from voom, you will show them your voom statement and sign a 16 month agreement.

They can't pick up a leased box, that would be stealing.

* To qualify for this offer you must agree to subscribe to a qualifying level of Comcast service for 16 consecutive months. You will receive $400 in programming credits, which will be issued in the form of a $25 credit applied to your monthly Comcast Cable bill for 16 months. Discounted package rate based on receiving a $25 monthly credit applied to the regular rate for Comcast's Digital Package. If you terminate or downgrade your subscription to less than a qualifying package before the expiration period for any reason other than to transfer your account to another residence served by Comcast, you will not be entitled to any unused credit. With each of these offers, you will receive free installation of up to three outlets (one digital outlet and two existing standard cable outlets) Customer is responsible for honoring any contractual obligations with his/her satellite provider. Any outstanding balance owed to Comcast prior to this agreement may disqualify you from this offer. You must transfer all ownership rights of your satellite dish (and related equipment) to Comcast, free of any future claims. You must own the satellite dish and satellite receiver(s) free and clear of any liens. Comcast will remove the satellite receiver(s) and may not collect the satellite dish. C-band dishes will not be removed. There shall be no additional charge to you for removal of any equipment. The satellite receiver(s), remote control(s), and dish(es) shall become sole property of Comcast to do with as it pleases. If the equipment is leased, you must supply a current bill reflecting the lease agreement at the time of execution of your agreement. Equipment covered by a lease agreement will not be removed by Comcast and will remain in your custody. Comcast, its employees, agents and representatives are not liable for any and all damages arising out of the removal of equipment, including damage to or destruction of equipment. Other restrictions and limitations may apply. Offers available to new Comcast customers in Comcast Cable serviceable areas who currently have satellite service. You must subscribe to Basic Service to receive other services or levels. You must rent a receiver and remote control for a separate charge to receive certain services. Installation, equipment, additional outlet, change of service, programming access and other charges may apply. Franchise fees, taxes and other fees may apply, with the actual amount depending on location and services ordered. Pricing, programming, channel location, packaging and content may change. Video On Demand not available in all areas. Digital converter and remote required and must be returned to Comcast upon termination of service. All offers are separate and may not be combined with any other offer. Comcast service is subject to terms and conditions of Comcast Cable's policies and practices or Comcast High-Speed Internet agreement. Offers expire 12/31/04. Call 1-866-DISHOUT for offer details. Video On Demand not available in all areas.

Seperate programming

sabo2 said:
Do i have to get a separate cable box for each TV I have or can I run 2 tv's off one box?

It depends on how you want to view the second TV. As with any service, you have to have two receivers if you want to view different programming on each TV. If you only have one receiver then you are stuck watching whatever is on the other TV.

Can I change the channels from the second room, or do I have to be in the room of the 1st TV to change the channel?

Changing channels

sabo2 said:
Can I change the channels from the second room, or do I have to be in the room of the 1st TV to change the channel?

If you plan on viewing digital stations on the second TV then you will need a second box. If you only have one box then that is the box you will have to change channels on.
If you are not planning on watching of the digital stations on the second tv then all you have to do is run a coxial cable to it, this will allow you to change channels on second tv without having to get up and go to the other room.

They still feed the analog portion without the digital box, so you should be able to get the analog feed (obviously less channels) if you don't feel like using a box. This is generally what I do for all my "secondary" TVs, I usually give the main HD TV the best feed, with an SD box for my bedroom, and all the other TVs just get the analog feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts