Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
This seems like as good a place to post this as any. I'm using the new Anker PowerPort Atom PD1 I picked up at Amazon over Black Friday. It's a compact USB-C power supply that will supply 15W (5V at 3A), 27W (9V at 3A), or 30W (15V at 2A or 20V at 1.5A). The amazing thing about it is the size. It isn't much bigger than the 5W charger that Apple provides with their phones, and smaller than the 18W charger that comes with the iPad:
AnkerPD1.jpg

With this 30W charger I can easily charge my 13" MacBook Pro while I use it. My old technique was using my Anker 21,600 mAHr battery to power the MacBook, but it was just enough to barely charge while I was using it. This new Anker Atom PD1 is more than capable and is only 5W less than the 35W Apple brick that came with my MacBook.

The secret is GaN semiconductors. They allow much more power to be packed into a smaller space. Here's a review of some of the Gallium Nitride chargers in the market: https://www.chargerlab.com/new-and-upcoming-gan-gallium-nitride-usb-chargers/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)