New, confused..help please?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dazzling

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2007
I have had a BUD for over 20 years, but just recently hooked it back up (after having NO tv since August - gave up the antenna for hi-speed Internet).

I'm an avid Sci-Fi Network fan and, today, it was gone! :eek: Called my service provider and they said it was now on digital. They also said they "had no notice" it was going off. Gee, ORBIT seemed to know last month (but I just saw that on their website tonight). Well, I have 4DTV so I'm ok, right? Wrong? I need a Ku something-or-other to put on my BUD to get satellite X?

Simple terms would be appreciated. My ex-husband was the one who put the BUD up, but I was the one who got to keep it (since I paid for it). :D I'm anxious to get Sci-Fi and USA back as Stargate and Law & Order are about the only things I watch. :cool:

TYIA for any help.

:welcome to Satelliteguys dazzling!!!

I moved this thread to the proper forum, yes you will need a ku-band LNB and feedhorn. However there are guys in this FTA forum that do this all the time, I just experiment with the FTA stuff, but the die-hard FTA guys can help you out.

Thank you for the welcome. I thought FTA was for wild feeds and things since I pay for my programming. I'll know where to put these questions now. :)

Would my assumption be correct that I need a dual feedhorn and 2 LNBs? Do I need another coax line to the house? (Please say no....it's over 50' to the BUD.) I think I can manage replacing the feedhorn and installing LNBs...it's just a wrench or a screwdriver, right? Seriously, I'm not useless, I just need directions. :)

I'm sure the right solution would be putting on a C/Ku LNB. This LNB carries c-band and Ku-band signals. In case they sign you up for the "Ku digital package", this should hopefully solve your Sci-Fi hunger. Watch this thread for help from others. I know that you'll have to start with having that C/Ku LNB combo. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/BSC621-C-KU-LNBF.htm

Satellite X is Galaxy 16 located at the 99 west longitude position. I'm sure that is already programmed into your 4DTV. Hopefully it is.

You may not need any new coax, a lot of c-band installs have a ribbon cable that includes a lead for Ku. Look at the back of your receiver and see if there is a lead that isn't connected to anything. If there is all you'll need is a new feedhorn and ku band lnb. Check E-Bay.

The upgrade isn't difficult at all if you have reasonable access to your dish. All the info you need is right here on this site:)

You may not need any new coax, a lot of c-band installs have a ribbon cable that includes a lead for Ku. Look at the back of your receiver and see if there is a lead that isn't connected to anything. If there is all you'll need is a new feedhorn and ku band lnb. Check E-Bay.

The upgrade isn't difficult at all if you have reasonable access to your dish. All the info you need is right here on this site:)

If your receiver has the ability to activate a " remote switch " at the dish , one coax is all you need .

I suggest you look through the receiver install or setup menues .

If you let us know what make and model receiver you have , some one may be familiar with it .

Wyr

If you let us know what make and model receiver you have , some one may be familiar with it .

Wyr
WyrTwister, he said he had a 4dtv. What I would do is get a Corotor II (C/KU) feedhorn and a ku LNB. And if his ribbon cable doesn't have 2 coax cables, he will need to run a line for the ku. Pretty simple to do.

Al

WyrTwister, he said he had a 4dtv. What I would do is get a Corotor II (C/KU) feedhorn and a ku LNB. And if his ribbon cable doesn't have 2 coax cables, he will need to run a line for the ku. Pretty simple to do.

Al

She Said ..... Quote " My ex-husband was the one who put the BUD up, but I was the one who got to keep it (since I paid for it). "

Nice to have a Lady in our forum discussing C-band .

No worries about the gender thing. I got a lot of that on the truck boards too. :)

I had my coax replaced earlier this year, so I'm hoping it will have the second cable (some moron who was doing "yard work" with a Bobcat managed to chop my previous BURIED cable in about 25 different spots, so I replaced the whole 50' of it). I also had a new actuator arm put on at the time as the old one was seized (hadn't used the dish in several years).

Unfortunately, I'm at work and won't have a chance to get out and look at the dish and see what's there until tomorrow or Friday. For now, I'll be checking out ebay. :D

As for the receiver. It's a Motorola 4DTV, but I don't recall the model. I know it's not programmed for all the satellites and some of them are wrong. I keep thinking I will re-program it, but then I worry that I will screw up what I have and lose all the birds. :(

Thanks again, and I will get back to you with my findings.

You will be best off with a c/ku feedhorn with linb's if you have only one coax coming in you will need another, the chaparral corotor II plus is a good feedhorn, for lnb's Norsat or Cal amp would be a good choice but they can be pricey, most big dish dealers should have a package deal for a feed upgrade at a good price.

Good C-band Norsat lnb models, 8515, 8215, 8115.
Good Ku-band Norsat lnb models 4506a, 4206a, 4106a.

Once you get the items we will help you out with the install.

USA is already back up, it is on C-band, try Galaxy-11 (GB) if you have a 920 you will need to do a unplug replug on G1-3 or GO-5, a 922 or 905 should update on there own.

More info

Ok, I have some basic info on my system:

Motorola 920 4DTV receiver

The ribbon has a "free" wire at the back, so I'm assuming I have an extra coax available for Ku, but from looking at the C/Ku LNBF, it doesn't seem to need a second coax. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

I will need to re-map my satellites as they are definitely not right, but I can live with them the way they are for now...or do I have to do the re-map before I can map the Ku?

Is Ku just on one satellite?

I've only subscribed to USA/Sci-Fi and Bravo so far as I haven't had much $ to spend on "extras". (I got Bravo to make sure my used 4DTV receiver worked on digital.)

Do I need to buy something other than the C/Ku LNBF or is that all I need for now (and a re-hit from my program supplier)?

Thanks for your help. :)

Well, after 2 hours of dinking around moving the dish manually, I finally found Dr. Gene Scott and knew I was headed in the right direction for USA. Got USA after a re-hit from my program supplier (and they FINALLY got the clock set) and spent the weekend watching Law & Order. :D

It seems that most of my programmed satellites are in the wrong spot. The receiver was bought used on Ebay and I believe the former owner was west of the Rockies, whereas I am east. Will change them as needed...it's so confusing to try to find them. :(

Now to wait for the part from Saudon so I can get Sci-Fi back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts