New Construction and Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Emp

Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
PNW
Hi Folks,

We have some new construction going on and we'd like to invest in the best (for the long haul) quad-shield RG6 pure copper core cable to run through the framing before insulation and wallboard goes up.

Who do you guys recommend? Perfect Vision? Honeywell? Who has the best price? Who is a reliable source. Cabelorganizer?

Stranded or solid copper core?

I'm seeing prices around $450.00 for 1000 ft.

Is there a great resource? pretend it was your house - what would'ja do?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Emp!

You definitely want solid copper, not clad. I'll leave the best sources up to the installers!

My husband and I are the installers. Direct TV doesn't do new construction - not the interior anyway. We already have all of our Cat 5 in, we have the NIC (Network Panel Box) installed - our backless junction boxes on walls - we're ready to run the coax now. We know not to get the copper clad - we get that (but, we also understand that works great for some)----but who do we order quad-shielded pure copper coax from? (And I'm not sure if it should be solid or stranded; I heard the solid was better for long runs.) There are a lot of sources online, but I figured you guys are in the know. Got the drill and boring bit in hand. We know not to run low voltage near the A/C - can cross - OK. Trying to do 6 rooms. Can you recommend a manufacturer who's tried and true. We'll start with a 1,000 ft reel. We understand 4 wires to the designated spot where the Genie Direct TV will be mounted.

Thanks, if you can offer any suggestions/recommendations.

CableOrganizer (online) ? Perfect Vision ?

P'reciate any counsel.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the installers on this forum would have sources to get the cable from.
You will most likely be getting a swm type lnb, which means you only need one cable coming in from the dish.

Solid copper without a doubt, as for cabling, I prefer perfect vision. It's never let me down and for some reason I notice less of db drop with perfect vision than most (just slightly better db). I would recommend running anything and everything you think you MAY want now or later in future while you're running all the cabling now. Also if possible I would run 2 lines and a cat 5/6 cable. As for the genie install, you only need one line ran to this location. The clients all run from the splitter. Make sure you run 4 or 5 lines from where the dish is going to be installed (in case in the future you need the extra lines the SWM 16 requires). Hope this helps and good luck!

OK, thanks Chip. Direct TV came out as we booked the appointment to see where the wanted the dish. We knew that we'd have to reschedule. He said, we'll install the Genie for you guys --you need 4 pure copper cables from the dish to the Panle Box. See, the thing is . . . we had someone come out and install the coax . . and he said it was going to be pure copper - but the Direct TV guy said ....hey, what your guy installed was not pure copper core. Hello! It was clad. So, we're pulling it and redoing this ourselves. I'll spare you the storyline and price-tag for the whole shebang. All water under the bridge, but now we need to press onward.

We have a high level of participation with this build - lots of our own work alongside the builder, so we ain't afraid to tackle this.

Hutch, thank you. Am printing your reply. Thanks guys.

My husband may want to post additional questions later this eve just for clarification. BTW, we are not going wireless (anywhere) in the house. Will have the option - but trying to keep all the waves at a minimum.

Quad shield would be a little over the top i believe. Directv approved cable is dual shielded, swept tested to 3.0 ghz, 60% braided. ( also note they have approved compression fittings also so If you dont have the tools or connectors for this I would leave these alone and let the installer do this. ) If I was in your shoes and doing the wiring for myself, I would run 2 coax to each location I would want a tv ( or even possibly want a tv in future ), with a swm system (which you will be getting a dvr only needs 1 cable instead of the 2 in standard/legacy systems) needing only 1 line you would have a spare for if the cable goes bad ( i also wouldnt clap these down in any form for if you ever needed in the future you could use a bad cable as a pull cable to replace with). You said you was running network cable so you are good there, but keep in mind if you have home phone service if you want caller ID on the receivers you will also have to have a phone line there too. And I am sure you know you will want all these cables meeting in one common location. Being a tech has came out I am sure he has went over how everything needs to be so I will just give a quit reminder and let you ask questions if needed. If you are getting/ or will never need more than what is in a basic swm system (8 tuners) then you could get away with a single wire with ground/messenger wire from the dish to a grounding location, then if your common wire location is not here then you will need 1 line from here to this location. If your needs exceed this or if you think they might in the future or if you just want to go ahead and be prepared then you could run 2 dual cables with ground ( 4 lines ) from the dish location to a grounding location (meter base prefered). If all your cables dont meet at this location with the ground (for example you have them in a control room inside the house), then you/the installer will have a couple options to go with, 1 would be the 4 cables from the dish to a ground block then 4 cables from the ground block to your common location which is were a swm 16 will be installed. Option 2 would be 4 cables from dish to the ground location which is were the swm 16 would be then you will need at minimum 2 cables from the swm 16 to common location ( if you have cable left over this would be a good place to put extra cable lines for future expansion ). Would also like to mention if you are going to have all your cables meet inside your house it would be good to have a electrical outlet close by to here so that the installer can plug the power inserter in here instead of behind the reciever. Also want to note make sure were ever you are going to have your high speed modem located to have a coax from here to the common location ( if you have cable internet make sure you have a unused cable from were the modem is to were your common location is )

Im sorry I know this was a little long winded but wanted to kinda through in how the system works a little to help your determine how/what you need to do and to help you maybe ask some more questions you need answered while you still have time to get it to what you want.

Thank you, Satellite Guys. So helpful and maybe this thread will help others, too.

cwahl, thank you so much. We're printing your response and going over your tutorial. All good considerations.

Yes, all cables will be meeting inside the house and we had the electrician install an outlet in the panel which is situated above a stair-landing) and also put an outlet underneath where we are shelving out a place for all the components.)

I think I found a pretty good place to order cable - TSElectronic. (not sure if it is okay to mention this)

We are compiling questions and will return to inquire. Trying to get organized on this end so our noobie-questions are not all over the map.

Again, thank you for this assistance. Will tell others (who are in the boondocks, too!) about this site.

Emp, what equipment are you getting? How many dvrs, receivers, including the Genie?

Don't need quad sheild waste of money.

2 lines to each location is plenty.

Only need one line from the dish if you are under 8 tuners, but if you have four your set for any future needs.

OK, thanks Chip. Direct TV came out as we booked the appointment to see where the wanted the dish. We knew that we'd have to reschedule. He said, we'll install the Genie for you guys --you need 4 pure copper cables from the dish to the Panle Box. See, the thing is . . . we had someone come out and install the coax . . and he said it was going to be pure copper - but the Direct TV guy said ....hey, what your guy installed was not pure copper core. Hello! It was clad. So, we're pulling it and redoing this ourselves. I'll spare you the storyline and price-tag for the whole shebang. All water under the bridge, but now we need to press onward.

We have a high level of participation with this build - lots of our own work alongside the builder, so we ain't afraid to tackle this.

You only really need a solid copper from the LNB to the switch to carry the power. I have a 8 year old clad RG6 Quad Shield and had H34 with 3 C31 clients installed, no issues at all as far a signal goes. One thing you need to make sure that you install 3GHZ connectors in the outlets. Had to swap all of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)