New construction AV distribution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GregH

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I am still fighting with my new home builder about installing cables to convert from cable to sat. I think I've got a solution with a quad LNB and DP44 with separators. My dilema now is AV connections. How long can optical audio, S video, component, and composite video cables be before the signals degrade?

GregH said:
I am still fighting with my new home builder about installing cables to convert from cable to sat. I think I've got a solution with a quad LNB and DP44 with separators. My dilema now is AV connections. How long can optical audio, S video, component, and composite video cables be before the signals degrade?
Not sure exactly what your asking. For the most part most of the new home builders I know are already using RG6u instead of RG59.

When I build my current home I had a structured home distribution system installed. I have several links of some good suppliers of packaged/custom structured systems.

I have video distribution, which I think is what your referring to. You can distribute RG6, Composite,S-Video, or DVI fairly painlessly...although a distribution amp is likely to be required on cable runs over 20-50 feet and multi-runs. I had posted a link to a manufactured 100 foot S-Video and a 100 foot DVI cable awhile back on DBSTalk. If you what more info contact me via PM and I'll provide links.

Jason

A lot of people are going with CAT5+ cabling. Belden has done studies where they distributed video of their MediaTwist for distances exceeding 1000'. Also, using an interduct (flexible 1" conduit) instead of running wires lets you change your cabling in the future without ripping your walls apart.

Foxbat said:
A lot of people are going with CAT5+ cabling. Belden has done studies where they distributed video of their MediaTwist for distances exceeding 1000'. Also, using an interduct (flexible 1" conduit) instead of running wires lets you change your cabling in the future without ripping your walls apart.
Yes this is a good idea...I had a 2" OD PVC pipe ran from basement to attic just in case...I know a lot of people doing this.

When I built my house 5 years ago, I included in my contract a 1 week period before drywalling where I could do all of my own AV and Network wiring. In reality, I ran no wires. Instead, I added 4" electrical boxes to each room that could have a phone, TV, or computer and stubbed 3/8" conduits to either the basement or the attic. I then ran three 3/8" conduits between the basement and attic. Wiring was all done (and in a few cases redone over the last couple of years) through the conduit after we moved in.

It has worked great, because I never planned on satellite at the time.

My current set-up is as follows:

Computer Network - All locations home runned to a central cabinet in the basement

Cable TV - All TV's home runned to a central cabined in the basement

Satellite - DishPro Twin LNBF with two RG6s run 75' to DPP44 and DP34 switch centrally located in basement. All DVR's (4) located in Family Room and plugged into Channel Plus SVM-44 RF modulators and backfed into cable as in-house channels (using existing Cable TV hookups). End result is minimal number of wires (especiall with DPP44) to fewest number of locations, plus ability to watch all satellite receivers anywhere in the house (we have 7 TVs).

hojni said:
When I built my house 5 years ago, I included in my contract a 1 week period before drywalling where I could do all of my own AV and Network wiring.
This is good advice...My builder let me run speaker wire, but everything else needed to be done by his electrical contractors.

Doing work like this in a new construction is iffie. 1st you have to live in a county that would allow it, 2nd you have to find contractor that would work with you, and 3rd...In the Chicago burbs where I used to live...if you tried to do any work yourself, even with your builders permission, the union contractors would rip that crap out, damage it so it wouldn't be reusable, throw it in the dumpster, charge you for the labor to remove it, and then possibly shut down the work site for interfering with their jobsite.

Jason

When I built my house 2 years ago, I talked the contractor into letting me run my own speaker wire for surround sound in the living room, and he even went so far as to let me mark where I was running the wire and had his folks drill the holes and mount the outlet boxes for me before the night I wired it. (At that point he had screwed up so many other things he owed me a few favors!)

In hindsight, I really wish I had thought of running conduit and/or installing some type of distribution system!

Jason,

I did build in the Chicago suburbs - Naperville to be exact. However, my builder had pretty tight control of his subs, so I had no problems. Also, all of my work was done after the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC rough-in work was done.

hojni said:
Jason,

I did build in the Chicago suburbs - Naperville to be exact. However, my builder had pretty tight control of his subs, so I had no problems. Also, all of my work was done after the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC rough-in work was done.
My step brother graduated from Naper North...Small world...I also grew up in that area. Cook County is the worst for the example I gave...actually happened to a friend. :no

Jason