New Customer - Cinema Kit Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bforce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Castle Rock, CO.
I just switched over from Dish and so far I've been happy with one exception. I have the Genie (HR34) and the C31 client hooked up along with the CCK. Unlike some others, the C31 client is behaving nicely, but the Cinema Kit is SLOWWWWWW. I have Comcast internet and get around 30Mbps via Speednet, and I also tested the wireless connection using my iPod and I am getting around 8Mbps via Speednet. Nevertheless, I cannot watch a movie on demand, says my connection is too slow.
I've read quite a bit a posts here with a lot folks saying they have the same issue.
I can run an Ethernet cable to the box (it's a pain, but it can be done), and I've heard you can bypass the Cinema Kit IF you have the HR34 with a C31 client (but not the HR24 and others). If so, can someone please give me step-by-step instructions on how to disconnect the Cinema Kit (and the little black box it's connected to behind the reciever?) and re-connect directly to the HR34 in a way that I can still use the client in the other room??

Before you do anything permanent I would do a dry run test first with whatever cat5 cable you have around.

You can bypass the wireless CCK by:

1. Unplug the CCK at the outlet
2. Remove the coax to the CCK that comes from the dish. (Leave the short coax from the CCK to your receiver on the CCK.)
3. Remove the coax from the back of the receiver that is connected to the CCK.
4. Attach the coax from your dish to the back of your receiver.
5. Plug in your cat5 cable on your router.
6. Plug the other end into the back of your HR34.
7. Enjoy.

You may have to do a reset on your HR34, but I doubt you will have to do that.

You may want to monitor the speeds you get with this setup. Sometimes I think the choke point is D*'s servers. Or you may be experiencing issues with Comcast. Only time will tell.

Hope this helps.

Before you do anything permanent I would do a dry run test first with whatever cat5 cable you have around.

You can bypass the wireless CCK by:

1. Unplug the CCK at the outlet
2. Remove the coax to the CCK that comes from the dish. (Leave the short coax from the CCK to your receiver on the CCK.)
3. Remove the coax from the back of the receiver that is connected to the CCK.
4. Attach the coax from your dish to the back of your receiver.
5. Plug in your cat5 cable on your router.
6. Plug the other end into the back of your HR34.
7. Enjoy.

You may have to do a reset on your HR34, but I doubt you will have to do that.

You may want to monitor the speeds you get with this setup. Sometimes I think the choke point is D*'s servers. Or you may be experiencing issues with Comcast. Only time will tell.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob, I'll give this a shot. Shouldn't be an issue with Comcast, as I had a wireless setup with Dish and got around 8-10Mbps (powerline adapter). However, I just looked and saw an Ethernet port on the back of the Cinema Kit. Could I plug in the ethernet there??

Since I don't have the wireless CCK (I have the wired version) I am not sure if you can just plug your cat5 in that port. I have read some posts that make it sound like you can, but I have also read others that make it sound like it doesn't work that way. What documentation I have been able to find is not clear on that option.

Nothing works. Wired, wireless, nothing. I can get it to connect either way and not have it affect the WHDVR or the C31 client, but still says my connection is too slow to watch a movie or show right away. Only gives me the option to record. Directv support refused to help, saying it's a Comcast problem (it isn't, I'm getting 35mbps on speednet.net on wired connection and 8Mbps on wireless). They want to charge me for a service call. Ridiculous!!! I just got the damn service installed last Saturday!!!! I'm starting to regret the switch from *E to *D...sigh....

Nothing works. Wired, wireless, nothing. I can get it to connect either way and not have it affect the WHDVR or the C31 client, but still says my connection is too slow to watch a movie or show right away. Only gives me the option to record. Directv support refused to help, saying it's a Comcast problem (it isn't, I'm getting 35mbps on speednet.net on wired connection and 8Mbps on wireless). They want to charge me for a service call. Ridiculous!!! I just got the damn service installed last Saturday!!!! I'm starting to regret the switch from *E to *D...sigh....

This is the only part of the post I've read but if you're trying to watch a movie instantly it won't work. I have bright house 10 up and 2 down, for a 60 minute HD show I can't view it until about 20 minutes of download first. Once the bar next to the "recording" goes from red to yellow/green you should be fine to view it while it continues to download. Directv doesn't stream on demand.

This is the only part of the post I've read but if you're trying to watch a movie instantly it won't work. I have bright house 10 up and 2 down, for a 60 minute HD show I can't view it until about 20 minutes of download first. Once the bar next to the "recording" goes from red to yellow/green you should be fine to view it while it continues to download. Directv doesn't stream on demand.

Well, if this is true, then perhaps *D should remove the "WATCH NOW" option from the screen and just have the "RECORD" option. One time, just one time, it let me start a movie right away, but then it started buffering, then it started again for a sec, then buffered, then gave up, told me my internet connection was too slow to watch instantly and to record the show. Now, it won't even let me get that far, doesn't even give me the option. The receiver just says my internet connection is too slow to "WATCH NOW" and it gives me two different recording/download options or not to record at all.

Again, if the "ON DEMAND" doesn't work that way, then *D should get rid of messages like that AND get rid of the "ON DEMAND" portion of "VIDEO ON DEMAND" or change it to "VIDEO FOR DOWNLOAD".

Also, if what you said is true, then I guess you have to wait to watch a show on your tablet or phone, even though on *D's website it expressly says to click "WATCH NOW" if you want to watch it instantly. BTW, it says the same thing about the watching a movie or show on your TV. It says it STREAMS movies, shows, etc., so you can watch them INSTANTLY (and by "instantly" I mean after about 30 seconds, which is how *E would work).

Last edited:
Watching on a tablet and watching on demand are two different things. I agree it's a bit misleading but that's the way on demand works on DTV. You have to have a DVR because the show is recorded, not streamed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

remote not working

SWM LNb's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)