New Customer DECA Networking Advice Sought...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thecomputerguy

Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Lubbock, TX
So, I've browsed this forum and DTV's forums and am now a bit confused. I switch to *D after three years with *E, with one of the biggest attractions being the MRV. The installer brought two HR24-200 DVRs and connected everything. He did not install a DECA networking module (which I didn't realize at the time). The two DVRs see (and play) each others playlist as they should, but, at that point, had no connection to the Internet. I did some reading and found that the DECA module is integrated into the HR24. So, I think "cool, I'm set", and connected a Cat5e cable to each DVR.

Everything works perfectly. The two DVRs still see each other, both DVRs can download content from VOD, the TV Apps work. The System Information screen shows both as connected to the Internet and says "to enable Coax networking, disconnect the ethernet cable".

However, everything I've read (this in particular: DIRECTV DIRECTV CINEMA) tells me that this configuration should not work.

My concern is that at some point in the future, there will be an issue and some of this might not work the way it's connected now. Should I insist that *D have the correct (necessary from everything I've read) equipment since this was supposed to be part of the original order? I hate to have to do this merely because I don't want to have to wait on another installer since this one was very, very late. But I would hate to have to pay for something later that should've already been done for free. Or have there been updates that make the configuration I have an "accepted" configuration and the information has just not been updated to reflect these changes (it does work perfectly, after all)?

Thanks for any input and for reading a long-winded post. :)

Bill

You should call and have them come to install the DECA module to connect to your router. The way you have it set up now will work (as you can see), but it is an unsupported networking method, and you will be on your own when you have an issue. D* only supports DECA networking, and the only way to connect the DECA network to the router is with a separate DECA module. They should have installed it while they were there, so they will have to send someone back to install it as long as you call them on it immediately. DO NOT tell them that you hooked up CAT5 cables. Just tell them the DVRs can see each other but there is no module to connect it to the internet.

Alternatively, if you don't want to wait on them, you can buy a DECA for about $50 and just install it yourself. But why pay for it when they were supposed to install it in the first place?

And the sooner you call to get this issue corrected, the better. Keep in mind that MRV does not require an internet connection. Its going to depend on whether or not the Cinema Connection Kit (COAX) was on the original work order or not. Hopefully, it is and the tech just forgot to install it. If not, the Broadband DECA is only $25 for your setup, but they will probably charge $49 for installation and another $50 in fees, depending on your credit history.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)