New Customer Genie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I am a current Dish customer that is tired of my bill going up every month. I got the latest "Best Deal Ever" from DTV in the mail with guaranteed pricing for 2 years for ATT customers. I called to ask a few questions and was instantly told lies. Like 1 Genie and 2 minis equal 15 tuners. The one thing I need is more than 5 tuners and I need a total of 3 rooms with the Xtra package. After 3 calls and the only common answer was "sign here", I have some questions for the experts.
1. Can I really get 2 Genies?
2. If so is there really no extra monthly charge for the 2nd Genie after I pay the $299 fee?
3. They quoted me $77 per mo. total plus taxes for 2 Genies and 1 mini with the Xtra package. Does that sound correct?
4. Do I really own the Genie after paying the $299 per the rep? I thought everything was a lease.
5. Is it really guaranteed for 2 years?
6. Is the mini for the 2nd room really free?
7. What is the catch?

Thanx

1. No, only one Genie per account. To get more tuners, you will have to get HR24 DVRs which you will almost certainly have to pay for.
2. see 1
3. No idea. New customer deals are a moving target.
4. No you don't own it. It's always a lease. And new customers typically get the Genie and up to two (maybe three) clients free of charge
5. No idea
6. See 4 above
7. Well, you will get a deal as anew customer and no catch, but the info you are being given is wrong.

I am a current Dish customer that is tired of my bill going up every month. I got the latest "Best Deal Ever" from DTV in the mail with guaranteed pricing for 2 years for ATT customers. I called to ask a few questions and was instantly told lies. Like 1 Genie and 2 minis equal 15 tuners. The one thing I need is more than 5 tuners and I need a total of 3 rooms with the Xtra package. After 3 calls and the only common answer was "sign here", I have some questions for the experts.
1. Can I really get 2 Genies?
2. If so is there really no extra monthly charge for the 2nd Genie after I pay the $299 fee?
3. They quoted me $77 per mo. total plus taxes for 2 Genies and 1 mini with the Xtra package. Does that sound correct?
4. Do I really own the Genie after paying the $299 per the rep? I thought everything was a lease.
5. Is it really guaranteed for 2 years?
6. Is the mini for the 2nd room really free?
7. What is the catch?

Thanx

1. nope
2. see 1
3. sounds about right for the all in package, but someone else could probably tell you better
4. no, its leased.
5. if you have another ATT product i believe they are doing a 2 year price lock but again someone else could probably tell you better
6. should be
7. the only way to get 15 tuners currently is a genie and 5 HD/DVR's, but that'll cost you a cool $1k. if you can live with 7 tuners you can get a genie, mini, and 1 HD/DVR (200 for DVR).

are you calling the 1-800-531-5000 Directv number or are you calling ATT directly? afaik they are still seperate call centers, but not 100% on that.

The # on the flyer is 877-777-0169.

I was quoted $299 for the 2nd Genie or $199 for a 3 tuner DVR (HR24 I assume). If I go the 1 Genie and 1 regular 3 tuner DVR does it work as a whole home setup where all recordings can be viewed from any TV?

It's already been said that you can have only one Genie per account. There is no such thing as a three tuner dvr.

The # on the flyer is 877-777-0169.

I was quoted $299 for the 2nd Genie or $199 for a 3 tuner DVR (HR24 I assume). If I go the 1 Genie and 1 regular 3 tuner DVR does it work as a whole home setup where all recordings can be viewed from any TV?
The info is so wrong, I suspect it is a scam to get your history.

How is DTV competing with the Hopper 3's 16 tuner capability if 5 is the max available?

How is DTV competing with the Hopper 3's 16 tuner capability if 5 is the max available?

I suspect they are not going to. Who really needs 16 tuners after all? (or so D* would claim) I recently ordered D* by going to an AT&T wireless store. I recommend going in and talking to them before signing up with the people you have been talking to.

I agree 16 are not needed but we always run into conflicts if you set the shows to start and end 2 minutes early so you can record the whole show.

The flyer does say you can visit the store. The 877# is nothing more than untrained sales people telling you anything you want to hear to get the sale.

I agree 16 are not needed but we always run into conflicts if you set the shows to start and end 2 minutes early so you can record the whole show.

The flyer does say you can visit the store. The 877# is nothing more than untrained sales people telling you anything you want to hear to get the sale.
I would blame This on the Networks for not starting and ending shows on time.

I suspect they are not going to. Who really needs 16 tuners after all? (or so D* would claim) I recently ordered D* by going to an AT&T wireless store. I recommend going in and talking to them before signing up with the people you have been talking to.

more and more tuners will be needed if directv and dish keep pushing tunerless clients

is 16 needed? mist likely not. but if you have a family of 4 with a 4 room installation, and everyone want to record thier shows, then it becomes a big selling point

put a genie in a 3 or 4 room install, with 3 or 4 live views and you have no recording space space left

is 16 too many? maybe, but 5 is not enough with the current trend

I would blame This on the Networks for not starting and ending shows on time.
We can blame it on whoever but the end result is the shows are not complete if you just do the scheduled times. :) I believe it is done on purpose to affect people that use DVR's to avoid the endless commercials. It is not just the networks it is channels like Science also. How it's made runs about 5 minutes out of schedule.

For three tvs, the best you will do is a max of 9 tuners, 1 genie and 2 combos, which will be hr24s. Ther are dual tuner, not tri as previously explained. Also your recording tuners will be limited by location. If the genie is in room 1 it can record 5 things at once but must view one of those 5. The combo in room 2 can record 1 and watch another or record two and watch one of those two. The combo in rm3 will do the same as the other. But if you set a third show to record in say rm3 it will tell you that you cant, it will not set it to record in room 2 or 1 unless you physically go into rm 1 or 2 and tell it to record there. All rooms will be able to view all recordings however. A good way around this is to connect the system to the internet and use a tablet as your remote over wifi with the dtv app for tablets (or from a phone) because the app will let you record to any of the three rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We can blame it on whoever but the end result is the shows are not complete if you just do the scheduled times. :) I believe it is done on purpose to affect people that use DVR's to avoid the endless commercials. It is not just the networks it is channels like Science also. How it's made runs about 5 minutes out of schedule.
Your right, when I said Networks, I meant all the channels.

Back in the day TBS use to purposely start at 5 after the hour.

more and more tuners will be needed if directv and dish keep pushing tunerless clients

but if you have a family of 4 with a 4 room installation, and everyone want to record thier shows, then it becomes a big selling point
Not really.
I'm a family of 4, and 6 tuners works.
8 would be good.
16 is over kill.

A Genie and a single HR would serve a family of 4 sufficient with 7 tuners.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
My problem is not the number of tuners, but the number of series I can keep active.
Exactly.
What is DTV's big deal about having 2 Genie's? With the competition having 16 tuners and Prime Time they better do something. People are getting sick and tired of constantly paying more for service to watch more commercials. There are other ways to get most of the programming free without the commercials.
People are paying for DTV,Dish and cable for the ease and convenience of finding programs. They better stay ahead of it or they will lose even more customers. JMO

More than 1 Genie would be nice ...
In my instance, the 2 would not even be in the same system, but I don't think they care, they won't give you 2 as far as I know.

I got a survey from DTV asking about my experience. I told them how about the 2 Genies and owning it and how pushy the sales guy was. But I doubt they really read them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)