New Customer Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
54 set up last week and experiencing two problems. At least once a day when I switch channels or go to a recording the scree goes black, then green with a lost signal message then to a screen of white snow. Periodically the screen will go black again then back to all snow. Pushing different buttons does not help. If I power off then back on all is fine again. Problem two is momentary frame freeze including audio and video. Live as well as recorded material. Signal strength is excellentl.

The second problem seems to happen all the time. Im not sure if someone has come up with a solution but I've grown to ignore it.

The first problem may be the box when it switches resolution if it's in "Native" mode (i.e. A 720p channel will be transmitted to tv in 720 and same for 1080i, 480). I think the main box (HR 54) handles this better than the mini genies but both may do this. Even if you have native mode off, it will still turn off and back on the signal when you switch from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel (or vice versa). If you go from a 720 channel to another 720 channel (like ESPN to Fox Sports 1, Fox News, Fox Business or Disney) and the screen doesn't go black but it does when switching from a 1080i channel (CNN, TBS, TNT) that's probably something to do with it. No idea how to fix it other than using component cables.

I would find using component cables unacceptable in 2016. Not sure how they would work with 4K channels and material. I never had this problem with my old Hopper so there must be an obvious way to rectify the problem. At least there should be if the problem is inherent to the Genie boxes. My first thought was that the dish was improperly aligned but high signal strength negates that possibility. Anybody else having this problem? I don't mind the black screen but needing to reboot the Genie on a daily basis is unacceptable.

Reactions: ejb1980
I agree. That's just my guess, normally the tv goes dark for a second then comes right back. Could be something different, maybe others will have a different guess.

Make sure native mode is unset on the Hr54 and only 1080i/1080p are checked as supported resolutions. If tyhat does not solve the problem, change out the HDMI cable, you may have a faulty connector. Any high-speed HDMI cable will do, no need to spend much money.
How long is the HDMI cable run?

I think what the OP is experiencing is called "having a client." All those issues, including reboot, are not cables or anything. It is the crappy client system.

Crappy Client system? I hate to hear that, especially from a "D" veteran. I have the 54 in a bedroom and the 61K at the main TV. My hdmi cable run is less than 5 feet. I just switched over from the Hopper (3 years) about ten days ago. None of these problems in the past. Is there a known problem with the Clients and is a fix coming?

The problem the OP reports with the screen going to snow is not a widely reported issue, and in any case he says it is with the HR54. Even if it's with the C61K, again not widely reported. The second problem, momentary freeze frame, IS a known and widely reported issue with the C61K. One can only hope DirecTV will find a fix for this one soon, because it has been around for a while.

I guess it may be more with the C61K since that is the unit the installer placed in the main viewing room. The HR54 is in a bedroom. Here is how the problem presents itself. When switching from recorded to TV and vis versa screen will go black, then green with "lost signal" message, then to white snowy screen. I've left it alone for up to 5 minutes and it will cycle between white and black screen with the white screen being dominant. Turning off the 61then back on fixes the problem. I also rebooted the 54 to no avail. Would it do me any good to complain to "D" through Costco?

I would stay as far away from the D* people at Costco as I could, unless it was to test to see how little they know. The clients just suck and they make anything else they're connected to potentially suck too. What you're describing is exactly what happened after a few months with my client. Both times I have used it, 3 different client devices. I loved it at first because it brought my out of market locals from the AM21 into my bedroom without a separate AM21 and OTA run. Then, it just started to @#%! the bed. I got a new one. Same thing. I got another new one when I moved. Same thing. I would recommend contacting D* and basically tell them that you're a new customer and it's just not working and your former provider's equipment worked and they are sending enticing "come back" deals. Maybe you can sweet talk someone into swapping the client for a HR24. Forget the 4K until there's something that can deal with it without a client. Currently, I have a HDMI splitter and just share 1 receiver on 2 TVs.

I have said it before, but I don't know if you've seen it. I have referred 4 people to Directv. 3 of them left before the 2 year contract because of the clients and I look like an idiot to all of them. The 4th person has 2 HR24's and I told her to hold onto those as long as you possibly can. If one dies, get a Genie, but keep the working HR24. I won't refer anyone again until this is not the system they use.

Last edited:
The problem the OP reports with the screen going to snow is not a widely reported issue, and in any case he says it is with the HR54. Even if it's with the C61K, again not widely reported. The second problem, momentary freeze frame, IS a known and widely reported issue with the C61K. One can only hope DirecTV will find a fix for this one soon, because it has been around for a while.

There are many issues reported with the D* clients. While not exactly the same, I think it's safe to say that there are many bugs and issues with the clients and their connection to the main unit and their handling of recorded material and switching resolutions. They know about it but don't seem to care. All they care about now is stupid Directv Now.

Here's the thing. Since DISH has no problems with their Joey's and since somebody makes them for Dish, possibly Samsung, have that company manufacture the Clients? Or have LG copy the Joey, change it a little, call it the Client.

just kicking out an idea, can you try plugging the HR54 into a different TV (ok, bring the TV to it, whatever). some TV's have weird HDCP issues.

There are many issues reported with the D* clients. While not exactly the same, I think it's safe to say that there are many bugs and issues with the clients and their connection to the main unit and their handling of recorded material and switching resolutions. They know about it but don't seem to care. All they care about now is stupid Directv Now.
So .... they can't work on more than one thing at a time ?

D Now is not so stupid if your one that cannot get D* for various reasons and would like it ...

Still having the same problem when I started this thread. "D" is sending tech Monday via Costco (I signed up through Costco). Any suggestions as to how to check out this on going concern with the 61K? It sounds like this problem has been around for a long time. Is it all Clients or just the 62K? It's not just freeze frame and drop out. Once every three days or so, when i change channels or switch from a recording to live TV or vice versa my screen goes green with a lost signal message then goes black then goes to a white snowy screen then alternates back and forth between black and white. Today I just left it alone to see what it would do. After about 5 minutes suddenly the picture came back on. My TV is a 75x850c.

The installer will not be able to fix this unless you replace the C61K with a C41, since people have reported the same issue with the C51

I would but I need the C61K for 4K viewing.

Yeah, you'd have to go without. How much is there, really? The 4K clients are worse than the HD clients so you'd likely see some fuctionality improvement. But if you're going to do that, an HR2X is the best option. No 4K, but it would actually work!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)