New customer question?

Kizkulesi

Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
If I buy the receivers instead of getting from D* am I saving something? Another words if I own the receivers do I have to pay montly fees anyway, what is the advantage (If any) owning your receivers.
What do you recommend, buy it or not and what is the best combination of receivers I should get for 4 rooms set up 2 HD and 2 SD.

Last edited:
Advantages of purchasing are:

1. No monthly lease fee.

2. No contract term required. (e.g. 18 months)

3. For HD, no obligation to subscribe to the Metal packages - which are a $20 extra over their equivalent SD packages. However, if you don't sub to a Metal, you will be charged a monthly HD Enabling fee of $6.

I will go for 18 months term anyway so that is no difference for me but montly fees what is it 4 receivers X $5 = $20 is this right? I was thinking to get 1 vip622 for two TV use and one 211 lastly 311 total of 3 receivers maybe 2x211 and 2x311 I don't know yet but either one I can save $15-20 a month if I own receivers?
Thanks

Kizkulesi said:
If I buy the receivers instead of getting from D* am I saving something? Another words if I own the receivers do I have to pay montly fees anyway, what is the advantage (If any) owning your receivers.
What do you recommend, buy it or not and what is the best combination of receivers I should get for 4 rooms set up 2 HD and 2 SD.

Also would any of the receivers be DVR's? Even if you own the receivers you will still pay $5.00 a month additional receiver fee for all receivers after the first. There are a number of ways you could do this. If you go to www.dishnetwork.com and use Dish Builder you will get an accurate picture of what your monthly fees will be.

DVR I'm not crazy about so probably no DVR receiver. You telling me even I own the receivers I still have to pay $5 fees. Why people buying these receivers on ebay and somewhere else $200-300 is that make sence or we are missing something here. I went to dish builder and that doesn't include montly fees I think.

Kizkulesi said:
DVR I'm not crazy about so probably no DVR receiver. You telling me even I own the receivers I still have to pay $5 fees. Why people buying these receivers on ebay and somewhere else $200-300 is that make sence or we are missing something here. I went to dish builder and that doesn't include montly fees I think.
Are you inquiring about D* or E*?

Kizkulesi said:
Why people buying these receivers on ebay and somewhere else
I bought one because at that time I was already an "existing customer".
My friend gave me the first one. I ahve been an idiot, and called Dish Network to activate that one, instead of getting the new one for free with a contract.
Or, maybe, they did not have such a deal back then in 2003?
About "additional receiver" fees: Unlike a cable company in my area, Dish Network is generous and you pay $5 only for additional receivers: if you have 4 receivers, you pay $15 for three additional.

Kizkulesi said:

Yes, for example if you have 4 receivers, you will pay $15 bucks in additional receiver fees. If you have 2 dual tuner receivers and as long as they are plugged into a phone line you will only be charged for 1 additional receiver.

Dish will get their money one way or the other, if you lease the receivers you pay a lease fee but not an additional receiver fee. If you own you don't pay the lease fee but you pay the additional receiver fee. IMO the only benifit to owning your equipment is the freedom to do what you want to do (no contracts and the like), although for any additional receivers after the first you will either pay the lease fee or the additional receiver fee.

dish network and cable broadband in the same room

ESPN WSOP PPV 8/10, will Dish offer it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)