New Customer Questions

btb79

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
I had a SuperDISH and DVR 522 system with locals (La Crosse, WI) installed last Sunday. I was expecting a better picture. Everyone I've talked to says that I should be getting a crystal clear picture with a dish. While the picture is better for the most part, I can still tell it's a dish. While watching some shows the images in the background are blurry and if the camera moves slowly the picture is somewhat jerky. I apologize for my "technical" speak.

The local channels are worse. We tried to watch the race on FOX Sunday night and it was horrible. I couldn't even read the numbers on the cars or the words on the screen. I know FOX has a lot of crap scrolling across the screen, but I expected it to be better.

I have called technical support both Sunday night and Monday and they walked me thru some steps over the phone. I think the next step is to get someone to come to the house to check it out.

Is there anything else I can do to make the picture better? The signal strength on most channels is about 90. On locals it's 50-60. Am I expecting too much out of a dish?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make this work because it's cheaper than cable, but I don't think I can live with bad reception for the footbal season.

Thank you,
Bill

Unfortunately, what you are seeing are the MPEG artifacts from Dish trying to cram too many channels into the available bandwidth. Usually, you can adjust your TV to try to make it look a little better. Turning the sharpness way down usually helps.

The locals are even worse and vary quite a bit from market to market. I have read some posts where people have called and sent emails to complain about the quality of their local channels. In some cases, Dish has adjusted some settings at their end and has improved things somewhat. If you search this forum, there is an email address that you can use to complain about picture quality, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

I think that it might be:
dishquality@echostar.com

Also how is the receiver connected to the TV (coax, RCA, supervideo) in that order it makes a difference, good,better,best. If its no better, tell them to take it away and try DirecTV!

Some new TV's have a supervideo input, it gives you the best picture if you have it use it! You also have to use the white and red RCA(component) cable if you use the supervideo cable as it does not carry audio, it splits the picture up into different colors then inputs them direct to the TV, its a small round plug with multi pins. Remember to swith your TV's video input to get to the Supervideo screen!

S-video carries two seperate signals,one for luminance(Y) and one for chrominance or color(C).The C is simply a combination of the B-Y and R-Y color difference signals.
Keeping the (Y) and (C) seperate on two wires prevents most of the signal degradation that is inherent in the conversion to single wire composite video.

TonyS, when I talked to tech support the first time they mentioned something about compresion on the local channels and said that they could try changing the compression to get a better picture.

PSB, I have S-video running from the 522 into my stereo receiver and S-video from the stereo to the TV. I have also tried RCA from the 522 to the TV and didn't notice a difference. I haven't tried coax from the 522 to the TV, but I don't think it would be any better.

I have noticed two things since moving from Comcast analog cable to satellite via Dish Network. I am in the Denver metro area.

(1) There is now pixellation in darker areas of the picture. This seems to vary from channel to channel or possible show to show. Don't know which. If you look specifically for this, you can usually find it anytime. Some shows it hits me in the face, others I don't notice until I try to find it.

(2) Occassionally things look "jerky". Like if 30 frames per second is required for smooth video, and I'm getting 28fps. This defect varies just like the above. Sometimes it's noticeable, sometimes not. Mostly not. To be honest, I rarely notice this ... but when I do it's quite annoying.

My sharpness control is all the way down. Contrast/brightness/color controls were set using a DVD calibration disc. I am viewing on a 60" screen that I'm sitting slightly too close to for optimal viewing, so picture defects are more apparent. I see scan lines on occassion (usually only when the show credits are rolling).

If someone were to ask me if I have a "clear picture" with satellite, I would have to say yes. The source defects show up with stunning clarity!

btb79 get used to what you are describing. Those faults will appear on any digital system,cable or satellite. The amount will vary from service to service but the way the digital picture is created and updated is the symptoms you are describing.

Picture size is also a big factor, I have a 55" and the picure quality (PQ) is okay, not great with Dish, but I am comparing SDTV to HDTV. On my smaller sets, 13" to 26" the PQ is very good and I have been very satisfied

I agree with Shichonni

Picture quality is stunning on an old 19" TV, but lacks on the widescreen (42") as far as I am concerned, however we largely bought the big screen for DVD watching and not for normal TV.

ROLLTIDE said:
I have never heard it called that

Cause nobody calls it that... but it is what the "s" in s-video stands for (I had to look it up to be certain).

I got my locals here in south La Crosse several weeks ago. I'm not having the problems you are experiencing, btb79. I'm happy with my pq, though maybe I'm just not as particular. But I'm not seeing lots of pixels--not even during all the thunderstorms of late (didn't even lose the picture once) no matter what I've watched. I currently have a 61" widescreen with a 508 receiver.

Just a follow up on my situation. After giving it a few more days, we are pretty happy with the picture. It has really improved since my first post. We were watching it the other night and my wife (the picky one) couldn't tell it was the DISH. So I think we are going to keep it and tell Charter to stick it. I hope I'm not sorry when football season comes around.

I have read on this forum that changing the contrast, sharpness, tint, etc. on the TV will improve the picture quality. I've heard people mention a calibration DVD to help with these settings. Is it worth buying the DVD for my simple system? I have a 32" Hitachi with a Kenwood receiver and a Panasonic DVD player. We don't watch as many movies as I'd like to.

Thanks.

btb79 said:
Just a follow up on my situation. After giving it a few more days, we are pretty happy with the picture. It has really improved since my first post. We were watching it the other night and my wife (the picky one) couldn't tell it was the DISH. So I think we are going to keep it and tell Charter to stick it. I hope I'm not sorry when football season comes around.

I have read on this forum that changing the contrast, sharpness, tint, etc. on the TV will improve the picture quality. I've heard people mention a calibration DVD to help with these settings. Is it worth buying the DVD for my simple system? I have a 32" Hitachi with a Kenwood receiver and a Panasonic DVD player. We don't watch as many movies as I'd like to.

Thanks.

I think it is definitely worth the time and investment. My previous set was a 32" Toshiba and the post calibration picture was a big improvement. I have a Video Essentials DVD I would be willing to sell. If you interested PM me.

NightRyder

btb79 said:
I've heard people mention a calibration DVD to help with these settings. Is it worth buying the DVD for my simple system?
If you use NetFlix (the online DVD rental place) they rent the Video Essentials DVD. This is the one I used. There are others. Something that starts with an "A" (AVIA or something like that) is another similar DVD. You may be able to rent/borrow one from a local home theater store if you live in an area with such a place.

haertig said:
If you use NetFlix (the online DVD rental place) they rent the Video Essentials DVD. This is the one I used. There are others. Something that starts with an "A" (AVIA or something like that) is another similar DVD. You may be able to rent/borrow one from a local home theater store if you live in an area with such a place.

I haven't been able to find it on NetFlix...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)