New Direct TV Sat to launch soon. (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RockyHeap

Thread Starter
New Member
Mar 9, 2004
4
0
A new bird is going to fly.

Satellite manufacturer Space Systems/Loral delivered the DIRECTV-7S satellite to Sea Launch Home Port (Long Beach, Calif.) at high noon yesterday in preparation for launch from the equator in a few weeks.

The Sea Launch team will be testing, fueling and encapsulating the satellite before mating it with the Zenit-3SL launch vehicle. The 5,565-kilogram (12,430-pound) spacecraft will provide customers in the United States with local channel service to additional markets and new services.

What this will actually get us viewing public is yet to be seen. At least they're adding channels!

I want my HDTV!
 

disbthai

Member
Feb 1, 2004
13
0
so does this mean, I have to realign the dish again? I currently have phase 3 LNB 101, 110 and 119 are coming in into my HD receiver...
 

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
10,343
3,850
Dripping Springs, TX
No, you don't need to realign if you have a phase III already. My understanding is that a number of the LIL's on 119 would move from CONUS to the spot beams. Some markets, I forget which ones I heard, but a small number would need to get a phase III dish since they LIL channels were supposed to move from 101 to 119. Besides all this movement the hope is that this will free up some space for more HD along with more local cities to be added.
 

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
18,733
1,122
Texas
How is Directv when it comes to stuff like requiring new equipment. Do they upgrade for free?
 

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 2, 2004
662
0
RockyHeap said:
A new bird is going to fly.

Satellite manufacturer Space Systems/Loral delivered the DIRECTV-7S satellite to Sea Launch Home Port (Long Beach, Calif.) at high noon yesterday in preparation for launch from the equator in a few weeks.

The Sea Launch team will be testing, fueling and encapsulating the satellite before mating it with the Zenit-3SL launch vehicle. The 5,565-kilogram (12,430-pound) spacecraft will provide customers in the United States with local channel service to additional markets and new services.

What this will actually get us viewing public is yet to be seen. At least they're adding channels!

I want my HDTV!
Where did you find this info? on whose website? I would check for updates myself.
 

Incaico

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 17, 2003
189
0
Porter Ranch, CA
rad said:
My understanding is that a number of the LIL's on 119 would move from CONUS to the spot beams. Some markets, I forget which ones I heard, but a small number would need to get a phase III dish since they LIL channels were supposed to move from 101 to 119.

7s will provide LiL programming off the 119 slot. It will not make 101 LiL customers switch to multi-sat dishes. It will provide LiL programming to new cities that will need the multi-sat dishes. The LiL list is posted on http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do#soon.
 

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
10,343
3,850
Dripping Springs, TX
Incaico said:
7s will provide LiL programming off the 119 slot. It will not make 101 LiL customers switch to multi-sat dishes. It will provide LiL programming to new cities that will need the multi-sat dishes. The LiL list is posted on http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do#soon.

But please look at this one footnote:

‡In this area, a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System is required. However, local channels are temporarily available using any DIRECTV System.

I can't find the post now but I know I saw one from someone saying that they'd have to get a phase III dish when their locals moved. If I happen to find the thread I'll post it here. (I found it http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34697 )
 

ddobson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 5, 2004
125
0
RockyHeap said:
A new bird is going to fly.

Satellite manufacturer Space Systems/Loral delivered the DIRECTV-7S satellite to Sea Launch Home Port (Long Beach, Calif.) at high noon yesterday in preparation for launch from the equator in a few weeks.

The Sea Launch team will be testing, fueling and encapsulating the satellite before mating it with the Zenit-3SL launch vehicle. The 5,565-kilogram (12,430-pound) spacecraft will provide customers in the United States with local channel service to additional markets and new services.

What this will actually get us viewing public is yet to be seen. At least they're adding channels!

I want my HDTV!


I beleive the date is May 2nd that's currently set for the launch.

http://ast.faa.gov/linfo_vsite/launch_info.cfm
 

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 2, 2004
662
0
There is no date set for launch, according to Sea-Launch, as of this week. I have been e-mailing them. But that website does seem to indicate that date as being correct. Is Sea-Launch telling me the truth?
 

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
SouthEast United States
mini1 said:
There is no date set for launch, according to Sea-Launch, as of this week. I have been e-mailing them. But that website does seem to indicate that date as being correct. Is Sea-Launch telling me the truth?
Sea-Launch is always slow at posting their launch info...maybe about the time the bird is delivered there, they'll post the May 2 date that has already be posted elsewhere.
 

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 2, 2004
662
0
news!

As of today Sea-Launch has NOT set a launch date for 7s yet, I just received this e-mail below form Paula Korn, the head of operations at Sea-Launch.
"We have not yet announced a launch date for DIRECTV 7S. We anticipate that we will launch in early May, pending completion of all preparatory processing and tests. Please watch our website for mission updates, as available. - Paula"
This website is only a projected date.seen here.
 

atltechguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 26, 2004
15
0
I read somewhere where the new sat will add more local programing in 20 existing markets as well as all of the new markets that are getting locals. I hope they will expand on local HDTV for the top 20 markets. That would piss off the cable providers. :) Has anyone else heard or read this? Thanks.
 

dswallow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 28, 2003
21
0
atltechguy said:
I read somewhere where the new sat will add more local programing in 20 existing markets as well as all of the new markets that are getting locals. I hope they will expand on local HDTV for the top 20 markets. That would piss off the cable providers. :) Has anyone else heard or read this? Thanks.
DirecTV has only announced Fox HD E/W channels for owned-and-operated markets (and those with waivers/distant networks). And the only other local HD info that's ever been mentioned has been related to plans to explore using the SpaceWay satellites (the first of which launches later this year) to provide local HD/DTV signals from every station in the US.

DirecTV 7S will free up a lot of space currently used by local markets on national/CONUS transponders, so it's likely we'll see some announcements once DirecTV 7S is operational.
 

atltechguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 26, 2004
15
0
Is there any word when Directv will add Fox to their HDTV lineup? I want an HD TiVo, but I also want to wait and see what they add. I came back from cable, because I missed my TiVo.
 

dswallow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 28, 2003
21
0
atltechguy said:
Is there any word when Directv will add Fox to their HDTV lineup? I want an HD TiVo, but I also want to wait and see what they add. I came back from cable, because I missed my TiVo.
There's not really any firm date announced for Fox HD E/W on DirecTV; "In time for the fall television season" has been the most official thing I've seen. But conjecture is that it'll happen once DirecTV 7S is operational and at least some locals from 101 degrees have moved over to it.
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top