New Direct TV Sat to launch soon.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RockyHeap

Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
A new bird is going to fly.

Satellite manufacturer Space Systems/Loral delivered the DIRECTV-7S satellite to Sea Launch Home Port (Long Beach, Calif.) at high noon yesterday in preparation for launch from the equator in a few weeks.

The Sea Launch team will be testing, fueling and encapsulating the satellite before mating it with the Zenit-3SL launch vehicle. The 5,565-kilogram (12,430-pound) spacecraft will provide customers in the United States with local channel service to additional markets and new services.

What this will actually get us viewing public is yet to be seen. At least they're adding channels!

I want my HDTV!

so does this mean, I have to realign the dish again? I currently have phase 3 LNB 101, 110 and 119 are coming in into my HD receiver...

No, you don't need to realign if you have a phase III already. My understanding is that a number of the LIL's on 119 would move from CONUS to the spot beams. Some markets, I forget which ones I heard, but a small number would need to get a phase III dish since they LIL channels were supposed to move from 101 to 119. Besides all this movement the hope is that this will free up some space for more HD along with more local cities to be added.

How is Directv when it comes to stuff like requiring new equipment. Do they upgrade for free?

RockyHeap said:

Satellite manufacturer Space Systems/Loral delivered the DIRECTV-7S satellite to Sea Launch Home Port (Long Beach, Calif.) at high noon yesterday in preparation for launch from the equator in a few weeks.

The Sea Launch team will be testing, fueling and encapsulating the satellite before mating it with the Zenit-3SL launch vehicle. The 5,565-kilogram (12,430-pound) spacecraft will provide customers in the United States with local channel service to additional markets and new services.

What this will actually get us viewing public is yet to be seen. At least they're adding channels!

I want my HDTV!
Where did you find this info? on whose website? I would check for updates myself.

rad said:
My understanding is that a number of the LIL's on 119 would move from CONUS to the spot beams. Some markets, I forget which ones I heard, but a small number would need to get a phase III dish since they LIL channels were supposed to move from 101 to 119.

7s will provide LiL programming off the 119 slot. It will not make 101 LiL customers switch to multi-sat dishes. It will provide LiL programming to new cities that will need the multi-sat dishes. The LiL list is posted on http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do#soon.

Incaico said:
7s will provide LiL programming off the 119 slot. It will not make 101 LiL customers switch to multi-sat dishes. It will provide LiL programming to new cities that will need the multi-sat dishes. The LiL list is posted on http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do#soon.

But please look at this one footnote:

‡In this area, a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System is required. However, local channels are temporarily available using any DIRECTV System.

I can't find the post now but I know I saw one from someone saying that they'd have to get a phase III dish when their locals moved. If I happen to find the thread I'll post it here. (I found it http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34697 )

RockyHeap said:

I want my HDTV!

I beleive the date is May 2nd that's currently set for the launch.

http://ast.faa.gov/linfo_vsite/launch_info.cfm

There is no date set for launch, according to Sea-Launch, as of this week. I have been e-mailing them. But that website does seem to indicate that date as being correct. Is Sea-Launch telling me the truth?

mini1 said:
There is no date set for launch, according to Sea-Launch, as of this week. I have been e-mailing them. But that website does seem to indicate that date as being correct. Is Sea-Launch telling me the truth?
Sea-Launch is always slow at posting their launch info...maybe about the time the bird is delivered there, they'll post the May 2 date that has already be posted elsewhere.

news!

As of today Sea-Launch has NOT set a launch date for 7s yet, I just received this e-mail below form Paula Korn, the head of operations at Sea-Launch.
"We have not yet announced a launch date for DIRECTV 7S. We anticipate that we will launch in early May, pending completion of all preparatory processing and tests. Please watch our website for mission updates, as available. - Paula"
This website is only a projected date.seen here.

I read somewhere where the new sat will add more local programing in 20 existing markets as well as all of the new markets that are getting locals. I hope they will expand on local HDTV for the top 20 markets. That would piss off the cable providers. :) Has anyone else heard or read this? Thanks.

atltechguy said:
I read somewhere where the new sat will add more local programing in 20 existing markets as well as all of the new markets that are getting locals. I hope they will expand on local HDTV for the top 20 markets. That would piss off the cable providers. :) Has anyone else heard or read this? Thanks.
DirecTV has only announced Fox HD E/W channels for owned-and-operated markets (and those with waivers/distant networks). And the only other local HD info that's ever been mentioned has been related to plans to explore using the SpaceWay satellites (the first of which launches later this year) to provide local HD/DTV signals from every station in the US.

DirecTV 7S will free up a lot of space currently used by local markets on national/CONUS transponders, so it's likely we'll see some announcements once DirecTV 7S is operational.

Is there any word when Directv will add Fox to their HDTV lineup? I want an HD TiVo, but I also want to wait and see what they add. I came back from cable, because I missed my TiVo.

atltechguy said:
Is there any word when Directv will add Fox to their HDTV lineup? I want an HD TiVo, but I also want to wait and see what they add. I came back from cable, because I missed my TiVo.
There's not really any firm date announced for Fox HD E/W on DirecTV; "In time for the fall television season" has been the most official thing I've seen. But conjecture is that it'll happen once DirecTV 7S is operational and at least some locals from 101 degrees have moved over to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts