New Directv Set-up, Looking for Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Denman007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I am getting the genie and 4 clients. The tech asked me if I had wifi which I do. Don't I need the HR44 to do the on demand stuff from the internet?

What is the benefit of wifi? To have wireless clients?

I called to replace an old hd dvr that was over heating and he said I could upgrade all my (old) equipment for free.

How big are the HD's on the HR25's since I am losing 2 of those for 1 genie.

Thanks.

1. Any HD-DVR can get On-Demand, if its connected to the internet.
2. The benefit to wifi is that devices (Like the HR44) can connect to the internet without wires going to the router. The tech needs to know this so he knows if he needs to run an extra cable or not.
3. How big are the HD's? Don't understand.. HD is HD, there is no "big". Also, there is no HR25, just H25's (HR means DVR, H means it cannot record).
If you mean how many tuners the HD-DVR's have (Assuming the model number is wrong), all DVR's except the Genie's have 2 tuners so they can record up to 2 shows at once. Genie's have 5 tuners (Up to 5 shows at once). BUT! The clients each use 1 tuner from the Genie when they are on. Also note, you can only watch up to 3 clients at one time.

Yes, don't take four clients. You can only use three at a time and that will use three out of the five Genie tuners.
Post back and tell us exactly what you have at the moment.

1. Any HD-DVR can get On-Demand, if its connected to the internet.
2. The benefit to wifi is that devices (Like the HR44) can connect to the internet without wires going to the router. The tech needs to know this so he knows if he needs to run an extra cable or not.
3. How big are the HD's? Don't understand.. HD is HD, there is no "big". Also, there is no HR25, just H25's (HR means DVR, H means it cannot record).
If you mean how many tuners the HD-DVR's have (Assuming the model number is wrong), all DVR's except the Genie's have 2 tuners so they can record up to 2 shows at once. Genie's have 5 tuners (Up to 5 shows at once). BUT! The clients each use 1 tuner from the Genie when they are on. Also note, you can only watch up to 3 clients at one time.

Sure there is, there have been various sizes of Hard Drives over the years.
I think the current HR24's have either a 320 or a 500 gb HD while the Genies, I believe have 1TB in them.

Also, the H stand for High Def., the R obviously is Recorder ...

I currently have 2 hd dvr's probably about 5 years old and 3 sd receivers that are really old - like a RCA.

One of my HD DVR's is over heating because I think the fan stopped so I called to get it replace and he said I could upgrade every to genie for free. I am not a hardcore tv veiwer. I mainly watch sports and a few prime time tv shows.

I might have a another HD receiver laying around but I don't use it because it makes too much noise in the bedroom when trying to sleep.

Should I try to keep one of my HD DVR's? The install is for this Saturday. I've been a customer forever but haven't followed the latest technology.

Thanks.

I would definitely keep at least one dvr in the system. That way if you have a problem with the Genie you don't lose recording capability.

This is from my account...

Model: HR24-100
Model: DRD486RH
Model: DRD486RH
Model: R16-300
Model: HR22-100

Yes, keep the HR24. Get a genie and three clients.

OK. I will call D* and switch the order.

2 questions:

Will I be able to watch recordings from the HR24 on any tv?

Can I get my recordings of my HR22 before they take it?

Thanks.

i would keep both the hr24 and hr22

you will be able to see the hr24 recordings anyplace

you cannot move the hr22 recordings

The only way to get the recordings from a dvr is to record them in real time to another device like a vcr or dvd recorder. You can't transfer them as a file.

Thanks for the information guys.

I am not sure the advantage to also keeping the HR22.

I could put the genie in my living room and 3 clients in 2 bedrooms and the basement. I could put the HR24 in the family room.

advantage is 2 extra tuners
and 1 more not being used in the genie to operate a client

Thanks for the information guys.I am not sure the advantage to also keeping the HR22.I could put the genie in my living room and 3 clients in 2 bedrooms and the basement. I could put the HR24 in the family room.
Keep as many independent HD-DVR's on the account as you can. It will, in essence, provide you with-more active tuners at a time (this is a function that might not even come into play, but the option of recording 9 instead of 5 being present is better than being absent)-more overall recording space (this is the bigger benefit. the clients do not provide additional memory. Each HD-DVR has a hard drive that adds to your whole-home's storage. 2 DVRs + 1 Genie > 1 + 1, in terms of recording space).

I don't really want a DVR in the bedroom so I will just keep my HR24 in the family room and the genie in the living room. That should be plenty of hard drive space for me. I won't be having the genie record things it thinks I like - I will be turning that feature off.

I was a little disappointed at the on demand selection compared to netflix. Even the TV shows I found didn't include all the episodes for a season which I thought was really strange. Not sure if I will use that or stick with netflix for 8 bucks.

The channels decide what is available on demand, not DirecTV.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts