New Dish 322 Problem not found in forums???

MDB in SE La

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Hammond
I've been reading these forums for quite some time and never had a reason to post up until now so here goes, and by the way I am a happy camper with Dish Network and have no intention of switching to DirectTV. I've been with Dish Network since late 1997 with a 4000/1000 combination until last month I bought a 322. Yes I know that the 322 is for new customers only but to make a long story short, Customer Service Rep made an error, I bought a new 322 on Ebay, and Dish made their reps mistake good so my 322 is working. I love everything about it but found a couple of glitches in it that are related and am wondering if anyone else that has a 322 has noticed. First off, I am in SE Texas and don't qualify for local channels since I receive quality channels on broadcast band local Beaumont Tx and Lake Charles La. Also closest channels IF I qualified for local really wouldn't be local anyway (Houston 110 miles). So I have an outside antenna that plugs into the back of the receiver and as the satellite is switched off, will pick up my locals with a good picture on TV1 but not on TV2. I have the receiver output on Ch 60 and even when the satellite for TV2 is off, the picture isn't good at all. The manual says on Page 28, next to last paragraph, "For remote TVs receiving programming from Ch 21-69 Out, the off-air antenna needs to be connected to your TV distribution equipment" and I say.....huh........TV distribution equipment. My old 4000 just had an antenna in just like this 322 does and it put out the broadcast signal through the receiver to the tv with no problem as does TV1, but the problem is TV2. Does anyone know what this means 'TV distribution equipment'? I called Dish Network tech personel had no idea what it meant and she ask someone that had been there for 2 years. They told me to go to Radio Shack and they might be able to help me, but they didn't. Help? I mentioned other glitches that were similar, here is the other problem. If I set the VCR to record a local network broadcast being picked up by my outside antenna when I wasn't going to be home, when I checked the VCR the picture was fuzzy and I found that the Dish Logo was floating around on the TV with the satellite off. I called Dish and the rep told me that there has been several complaints about this.....that it comes on after 4 hours. She actually said it is a screensaver that is like one on a computer set for 4 hours. She told me that if I was going to record broadcast programming, I needed to set the satellite receiver to come on before maybe for a minute and go off to get rid of the screensaver, then the broadcast program to be recorded and that maybe software will take care of this glitch in the future. These are two problems that I can live with and modify my viewing habits but would like to know if someone has run across this. I've been reading these forums for quite a long time and have not run across this specifically. Thanks for any help. Mike

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, MDB! :)

First, that's a pretty lengthy post, for readability in future posts you might want to separate out into a couple few paragraphs. :)

But onto your problems, the TV2 on the x22 receivers simply can't pass through the "antenna in" signal. By "distribution equipment" they mean a "super home node" or in some cases even a good combiner might do. These devices will merge the ch. 60 signal from the TV2 connection onto an off-air antenna signal--but without sending the ch. 60 up the antenna which is against FCC regulations.

As for the second problem, I'm not quite sure what you meant to happen. If you wanted to record an off-air broadcast, the 322 shouldn't have had anything to do with it. You may need to rewire your VCR's connections using a splitter or two.

OK to the paragraphs, I saw that afterwards, looks like some hick, er.....

Thanks for the prompt reply and I probably should have joined much earlier as I have been reading these forums for months and maybe over a year or two, can't just right now remember. When you get past 20 the mind starts going and I'm well past 20.

As far as what I was trying to do with the second problem. I was just trying to record either of the three networks, don't remember which one, maybe CBS, nevertheless I set my VCR to record CBS local affiliate and when I checked it it was recorded very fuzzy.

After just normal routine use several days or weeks later when I would turn the TV on and not the satellite there would be a floating Dish Network logo. The same logo that floats on TV2 on 60 but this would be on TV1 ch 3 coming from the satellite, mind you, that wasn't on. I could turn the satellite on and then right off and the logo disappeared. Dish Net Cus Ser told me it was a screen saver that came up at a 4 hour interval of non use. Hope that explains that problem a little better.

MDB

Ah, yes them elaborations sure helped. :)

So you have the TV1 output going into your VCR, then the VCR's output going into the TV? If so, that's what caused your problem, I believe. It sounds like you need to use the TV/Video or TV/Sat button, whatever it's called, that's on your 322 remote. The receiver might need to be "on" (not logo screensaver) in order for you to do that. But what you're looking for is to NOT see either the logo screensaver or the channel your 322 is tuned to. You DO need to see your off-air channels as you change channel numbers on the actual TV or VCR.

So in other words, when you were looking at the screensaver or the satellite channel on the 322, your VCR was on Ch. 3 and your TV was most likely on Ch. 3 too (or Ch. 4). After you hit that one button on the 322 remote, your TV should show snow (or a maybe solid blue screen), or perhaps a local channel if your area has a local Ch. 3. But anyways, now change the VCR to your desired channel you wish to record and your TV should show it clearer.

If it still doesn't come in clearer, and you know your location can receive the channel much clearer, maybe you could reply with info on your exact wiring between the 322, VCR, and TV. :)

OK now we're both hicks now, ha...........

With the 4000 I had sat and outside antenna going to sat rec input, sat out to vcr in, vcr out went to TV. Never had any problems. CBS in Beaumont is Ch 6 so now, sat and outside antenna going to sat rec input, sat out still to vcr in, vcr out going to TV1. Set VCR to record 8pm tonight and the sat to TV1 turned off before 4pm and the sat puts out a signal on ch3 while the vcr records ch 6 (CBS) and it's fuzzy. That's where the screensaver is coming from according to the Dish Tech Rep. Huh.

Never would I have believed that if anyone else would have told me either. The tech rep said it was a glitch and that Dish would be working because she herself has had several complaints exactly like mine. I was hopeing that someone had ever heard of this and maybe figured out a solution before Dish does.

This problem isn't related or causing the problem on TV2 but causes the picture to be the same fuzziness......(is that a word) but I understand what I'm going to have to do to fix the picture clarity on TV2 with a super home node or a good combiner, not sure that Radio Shack has those but if not I'll check online, shouldn't have any problem finding. Thanks for your help.

Right, whether the receiver is on or off, it's still putting a signal on Ch. 3 (and Ch. 60 or whatever TV2 is set on). The only way to kill that signal, and only on TV1, without killing the power to the 322 is to use the TV/VIDEO button. (I'm at home now so I know the exact name of the button :D). I'm not familiar with the 4000 but it sounds like it killed the Ch. 3 signal when the receiver was powered "off" (really put in a standby mode).

Sounds like you're on your way though. :)

No reason to hook ant to 322, hook it to VCR. 322 should be going to VCR and TV Via a/v cable. If TV does not have A/V input you need a new one

that's an interesting way to do it, oljim. I'm not home right now, in another city working but I'll be home Fri and try that. Thanks for the help. MDB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)