New Dish 722K restarting itself

djswartz

Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I recently switched from a very stable 622 to a 722K so I could use the Sling Adapter. After about 2.5 weeks of working well, the 722K started doing restarts on its own quite often. I called tech support and, after going to the second level and having the receiver reset a couple times during the converstation, a tech was scheduled to come to the house the next morning. The receiver was replaced but the replacement started behaving just as badly shortly after the tech left. Thinking that the problem might lie with one of the attachments to the 722K, I removed the MT2 tuner, the Sling Adapter, USB drive, and ethernet broadband connection. I took the 722K off of the UPS it was running on and connected directly to the wall AC. After lots of testing (and seemingly random restarts), I found one test that has repeatedly caused a restart:

1. Pull AC power so receiver goes through full restart
2. Wait till receiver completes restart
3. Select an HD program from the current guide
4. Press record and start recording remainder of show
5. Select a 2nd HD program from the current guide
6. Press record and start recording remainder of show
7. Double press DVR to go to My Recordings
8. Select the last show that is recording
9. Select "Stop Recording" from the menu

When I do this, the receiver will continue showing the program in the small window for a minute or so but the remote control will be unresponsive. Shortly, the receiver will do a restart.

Both receivers were running L682 in Single mode

Can this be a software issue or have I gotten two bad receivers?

Last edited:
Have you checked your AC at the wall? Make sure polarity is not reversed. Also is your system grounded? If it is I would try removing the ground. I have gone to many service calls for rebooting, everything checked out, removed the ground and didn't get a TC. Seems stupid but those little things will cause instability with the 722ks.

That is excellent advice, and one I forget to suggest to people when I post.

An easy way to see if your outlet is grounded correctly is to use a power strip that tests for it, usually has an led light that will be on when not grounded. Not usually going to be a problem in newer homes, but it is easy to check and eliminate from the equation.

Just to close out the thread....

I just received my 3rd 722K refurb as a replacement. This time, everything works as expected. No watchdog timeouts (the last 722K had 197 watchdog timeouts before I removed it). The hard disk is running at an average of 107 degrees where the previous 722K harddisk was averaging between 129 and 135 degrees. I suspect both of the previous receivers had temperature related issues that the current replacement does not have. I have a Sling adapter attached that works very well now. I can leave the 722K in Single mode (which is what I prefer) and it will automatically switch to Dual mode whenever I access the Sling adapter. When I stop using the Sling adapter, the 722K goes back to Single mode. Neither of the previous 722K's worked this way - I had to manually put the 722K in Dual mode to get it to work. I'm happy with the operation of my current 722K.

I like my steak rare doa receivers are a rampant.And a weekly occurrence don't get me started on Hardrive overheating issues cause by faulty cooling fans.

DoA receivers are pretty rare, but getting two in a row is amazing. Good to hear everything's now working with that new one :D

I thought my replacement 722 was DOA last month. It would not go past the green light and was making a loud hum. Working with several CSR's and eventually with a person in the exec office, I was going to get a 2nd replacement. It was someone here that asked if I had connected my EHD. That was it. Disconnected the EHD and powered up and it worked. There was no instructions about not connecting an EHD till the system was dully activated. The only other problem was that the instructions for activating iy were outdated since I had been converted to the EARC. Then a couple of weeks ago, someone else was complaining about a dvr being DOA. When I asked him if he had already connected the EHD, he said yes. Disconnected it and he was back in business.

I read that about the EHD fix. I'm unsure of the exact cause for it, but probably along the lines of a 922; just needs to be fully activated and going before everything'll work fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)