New Dish 922 Spec Sheet

Can't wait. Bet there is still more to do to make it the perfect box:

-Accept IR input for universal remotes
-Second tuner can display HD content on the second TV
-Ability to show youtube/hulu video
-Netflix streaming
-A third sat tuner

Some of those I doubt they will ever have. But I wish we would see all that.

Not Yet. supposed to be able to do it via a future Firmware upgrade.

The SlingCatcher does have both HDMI and Component HD outputs. I see that max streaming resolution is 1280 x 540 though. I don't have one so I don't know what the stream looks like, but I've got to assume that it would be better than the composite TV2 output of the 922.

The sling catcher also has a terrible delay for the remote even on my local Wired network. the picture quality gets ok but the delay has me using the TV2 output instead of the slingbox/catcher combo.

Can't wait. Bet there is still more to do to make it the perfect box:

-Accept IR input for universal remotes
-Second tuner can display HD content on the second TV
-Ability to show youtube/hulu video
-Netflix streaming
-A third sat tuner

Some of those I doubt they will ever have. But I wish we would see all that.

1. Good posibility.

2. I don't think we will see this for quite a while. HDMI is more difficult to wall fish, it's not like they can give the tech a roll of HDMI cable and he/she can crimp on an end. They could make an encrypted coax output and have another box to unencrypt it into HDMI again. But I don't see them doing that either. They would prefer just getting you another receiver. An MRV solution like DirecTV is doing would be the best thing. That would be awesome to network two 722's and have them both talk to each other and resolve any recording conflicts between the two of them and share recording space. But that's in a dream world.... ;)

3. Don't see that coming as YouTube is killing off the streaming on devices.

4. Competes with their PPV. Never see that one coming.

5. Not sure how reliable that would work with the hard drive throughput today. That means the machine would have to be able to record 5 HD streams at one time, play 2 streams, and possibly download one stream and/or xfer to USB at the same time. Big strain on standard hard drive interface.

MRV as digiblur describes it would be the ultimate for me. And it seems to be as simple (so to speak) as a software update for any of the ViP DVRs; they are all more than adequately equipped, hardware wise. But it is disheartening to hear digi describe it as a possibility in a "dream world."

What I don't understand is the browser. If you can't watch videos, like hulu, youtube, or netflix, what are you using it for? Does anyone see themselves reading full text articles on this thing? Responding to satguys posts with that remote control? I just don't see web developers making "922 optimized" browsing experiences, so that would leave us with illegible text on a 50" tv that is 10 feet away from where we are sitting... If someone else here is wetting their pants over this feature, let me know what it is you are so excited about!

2. I don't think we will see this for quite a while. HDMI is more difficult to wall fish, it's not like they can give the tech a roll of HDMI cable and he/she can crimp on an end. They could make an encrypted coax output and have another box to unencrypt it into HDMI again. But I don't see them doing that either. They would prefer just getting you another receiver. An MRV solution like DirecTV is doing would be the best thing. That would be awesome to network two 722's and have them both talk to each other and resolve any recording conflicts between the two of them and share recording space. But that's in a dream world.... ;)

I'd prefer to avoid the extra receiver fee. But if they must have 2, I could live with it. They should just make sure any MRV operates through coax. I don't want to have to run it through a wireless router.

3. Don't see that coming as YouTube is killing off the streaming on devices.

4. Competes with their PPV. Never see that one coming.

But they would be nice. I was making a wish list, after all.

5. Not sure how reliable that would work with the hard drive throughput today. That means the machine would have to be able to record 5 HD streams at one time, play 2 streams, and possibly download one stream and/or xfer to USB at the same time. Big strain on standard hard drive interface.

They could do like DirecTV did with that OTA module for the HR-21. Limit the total number of streams. Just sometimes you want to watch live TV on 2 TVs (or have PIP), while still recording something. Or, you want to record 3 things. And many times, they are not available OTA.

I think I will pass until they have two HD tuners with two HD outputs. Now it makes perfect since why they have a 612, because they can probably produce two of those for the same cost as a dual HD with two HD outputs and they get an extra $7 per month and another $6 DVR fee per month for a total of $13 more per month.

There is NO reason for this receiver to exist if it doesn't have HD on TV2. Anything else, is already possible. I guess I'm behind the times, because this was the one feature I was waiting for this receiver for. When did they make the bone-headed decision to not include it?

Last edited:
They could do like DirecTV did with that OTA module for the HR-21. Limit the total number of streams. Just sometimes you want to watch live TV on 2 TVs (or have PIP), while still recording something. Or, you want to record 3 things. And many times, they are not available OTA.

The ability to build a "DVR cloud" would fix all of this. ;) Plug it into the network and boom you've got more recording space and more tuners. It could be done but it would require quite a bit of firmware programming. I've seen some BeyondTV rigs with 5 or 6 tuners that work great, so I know it can be done.

Here's a 10 tuner beast ;) SnapStream: Award-winning PC Media Center Products

There is NO reason for this receiver to exist if it doesn't have HD on TV2. Anything else, is already possible. I guess I'm behind the times, because this was the one feature I was waiting for this receiver for. When did they make the bone-headed decision to not include it?
How do you get the HD to TV2?

Its not practicle yet. Cheeper to put in a second hd box.

There is supposed to be a monitor for sale by Dish that will catch the HD sling video from the 922 and, yes, display in HD. In fact, in the last Tech Forum they talked about that monitor. But will that be for TV1 or TV2 or viewers choice?

I wonder if they will replace the 722 receiver with the 922 eventually or if it will always be a premium?

I believe Charlie said the box is "not for everyone," meaning it will be for some time a premium box for those with broadband connection, a need for the Sling feature, and for power users who love all the bells and whistles as the 922 will have a more expensive upgrade price. I think the 722K will be the "standard" HD DVR for the vast majority of subscribers as it will suit their needs well enough, and it is less expensive to produce. As much as I love and want a 922, I know a lot of people who, after explaining it to them, consider it overkill for their needs and don't want to pay the premium upgrade price. They are fine with they have now, they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)