New Dish 922 Spec Sheet

Huh???

How?? Just duplicate what is already there but with a different internal address.

What he means is how do you actually distribute it to TV2 in a manner that is acceptable to the content owners (ie the movie and television studios). Obviously they are not going to allow Dish to output it freely over coax as they would lose all the benefits of HDCP. Without having another receiver at the other location that means running HD cable to another TV location. I don't know about you, but I don't see it being practical right now for an installer to run an HDMI cable from my Den to my upstairs bedroom TV (about 300 feet) through the wall...

I was thinking they could have their own encrypted format, read my a small DTVpal-sized box that would just convert to component and HDMI. I would think that would be cheaper than a second 722. Heck, the second box could also double as an IR converter.

There is supposed to be a monitor for sale by Dish that will catch the HD sling video from the 922 and, yes, display in HD. In fact, in the last Tech Forum they talked about that monitor. But will that be for TV1 or TV2 or viewers choice?

I believe the monitor they spoke about was like 15 inches or something like that. Really??? Do you what a 15 inches 16:9 screen compares to a 15 inch 4:3 CRT? Lol... I wouldn't even bother putting that in my bathroom or kitchen. Maybe 15 inches for car. Just like I laugh at the people getting these 32 inch HDTVs for the bedroom when they had 27 inch CRTs. You didn't go any bigger! ;)

I hope I'm missing something in that spec sheet.

I didn't see the internet browser and will a remote keyboard still work?

This was the main draw for me. This latest bit of news makes me underwhelmed for the 922 now. The 722K with OTA module and my external sling box looks to be more and more fitting to my needs.

Disappointed!

What he means is how do you actually distribute it to TV2 in a manner that is acceptable to the content owners (ie the movie and television studios). Obviously they are not going to allow Dish to output it freely over coax as they would lose all the benefits of HDCP. Without having another receiver at the other location that means running HD cable to another TV location. I don't know about you, but I don't see it being practical right now for an installer to run an HDMI cable from my Den to my upstairs bedroom TV (about 300 feet) through the wall...

Same as TV1 of course.

Someone with a house that big (300' from anywhere to anywhere) should have no trouble just getting a second receiver for the room on the far side of the moon.

Same as TV1 of course.

Someone with a house that big (300' from anywhere to anywhere) should have no trouble just getting a second receiver for the room on the far side of the moon.

So what you're saying is you want to run HDMI to other rooms? Who is going to pay for HDMI cables that long? Dish? the customer? the installer? Even if your rooms are not too far apart you are talking at least 20' to run through the walls as I'm sure you don't want ugly HDMI cables running along your floorboards and under your doors. Are you going to pay extra to have the installer fish new HDMI cables through your wall instead of using the existing coax that is already installed?

Exactly right, they aren't "that" expensive. I'm very familar with Monoprice and use them often. However, $80 is still $80 and it has to come out of someone's pocket. Then add all the extra install time that it takes to fish the lines and the fact that you would have to teach installers to attach their own ends to cables because no two rooms are going to be the same distance apart (much much harder than coax and would also require additional tools). As a general statement it sounds great to do 2 room HD, then you have to think about all the reasons that it isn't such a good idea...

Cat5->HDMI are moving close to the $50 range now. Much easier to run 2 ethernet cables through walls than an HDMI cable.

A TV2 HDMI output would be useful, of course $50 in hardware plus the fish over to TV2 might not fit the pricing model.

Anything new on release date (honestly I have not been keeping up)? We will be in our house in Feb or March, and if I can keep Dish I'll need a 2nd HDDVR. Was gonna get another 722k, but I should go ahead and pony for the 922.

Can anyone answer Don Landis' question about whether they have eliminated the web access feature? It doesn't show up on the new spec sheet that Scott posted.

Brad

Anything new on release date (honestly I have not been keeping up)? We will be in our house in Feb or March, and if I can keep Dish I'll need a 2nd HDDVR. Was gonna get another 722k, but I should go ahead and pony for the 922.

just get a 722k. it's cheaper and pretty much the same thing, now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts