New Dish Cell Phone

scottcorinna

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
West Linn, OR
Read this article this morning.

My question is, will Dish use its new 5G network to create a Home Internet service (like Verizon and AT&T) for the specific purpose of streaming Sling or some other programing service?

Read this article this morning.

My question is, will Dish use its new 5G network to create a Home Internet service (like Verizon and AT&T) for the specific purpose of streaming Sling or some other programing service?
This plan will operate on AT&T’s towers and will provide a data-capped service for $100 per year. Yes, per year—amounting to less than $10 a month. This only covers up to 1GB of data, which will go fast if you’re using the 5G speeds to your advantage, but with such a low baseline, even the overage charges will still probably bring you underneath a flagship plan from a bigger carrier.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Article: "While the Dish wireless network isn’t fully launched yet...."

Isn't fully launched yet? As-in barely any launch at all?

$100 a year for 1 GB a month. Very affordable for the small budget, but that'd get consumed quite quickly.

Still gotta think Dish has bigger corporate data info transfer via 5G in mind.

Article: "While the Dish wireless network isn’t fully launched yet...."

Isn't fully launched yet? As-in barely any launch at all?

$100 a year for 1 GB a month. Very affordable for the small budget, but that'd get consumed quite quickly.

Still gotta think Dish has bigger corporate data info transfer via 5G in mind.

I think I've exceeded 1 GB of cellular data in only one month over the past several years. I just tend to be connected to wifi nearly all the time. And that month when I exceeded 1 GB I was on a Sprint unlimited plan, so it didn't matter. I now use a little MVNO called Red Pocket that offers access to all the networks. I'm on the Verizon network on a 1 GB per month plan. Pay about $12/mo. (including taxes) although they sell one-year (360-day) prepaid service for my plan on eBay for $99. So the same deal that Dish/Boost plans to do on the AT&T network.

And I agree with you, Dish has to have bigger plans for their forthcoming 5G network than just to offer service to low-priced Boost plans. Will be interested to see if they launch a new postpaid wireless brand to try to compete head-on with the big 3 or if they just focus on enterprise/IoT plus their little budget prepaid brands (Boost, Ting, Republic).

I think I've exceeded 1 GB of cellular data in only one month over the past several years. I just tend to be connected to wifi nearly all the time. And that month when I exceeded 1 GB I was on a Sprint unlimited plan, so it didn't matter. I now use a little MVNO called Red Pocket that offers access to all the networks. I'm on the Verizon network on a 1 GB per month plan. Pay about $12/mo. (including taxes) although they sell one-year (360-day) prepaid service for my plan on eBay for $99. So the same deal that Dish/Boost plans to do on the AT&T network.

And I agree with you, Dish has to have bigger plans for their forthcoming 5G network than just to offer service to low-priced Boost plans. Will be interested to see if they launch a new postpaid wireless brand to try to compete head-on with the big 3 or if they just focus on enterprise/IoT plus their little budget prepaid brands (Boost, Ting, Republic).
Good to know for MIL(inexpensive plan) since Tracfone discontinued their $100/year plan.
There are 3 of us on an ATT plan and due to wifi I doubt we use a gig in one month.Plus being old firts we consume our visual media on screens larger than 4 inches.

Remember this is not DISH's new Project Genesis service.

We will hear more this summer. :)
Right. But clearly they plan for this Dish-designed Celero5G phone to access their forthcoming 5G network since, well, it has a 5G modem in it. Surely the plan isn't for it to only use AT&T and T-Mobile's 4G networks via Dish's prepaid budget brands like Boost.

What I'm wondering if whether we'll see Dish make a splash with a new national higher-end 5G brand (i.e. with unlimited data plans) that will work with major phones from Apple, Samsung and Google. Maybe it'll be called Genesis?

What I'm wondering if whether we'll see Dish make a splash with a new national higher-end 5G brand (i.e. with unlimited data plans) that will work with major phones from Apple, Samsung and Google. Maybe it'll be called Genesis?
I don't see them being successful without supporting things like iPhones and Popular Android Devices.

I don't see them being successful without supporting things like iPhones and Popular Android Devices.
Me either. But from what I read, only a couple of the 5G bands that Dish plans to use are currently supported in any phone currently on the market (and only because those 5G bands are also used by one of the big 3 networks). Might be awhile before we see an iPhone that fully supports all the spectrum that Dish will supposedly build out.

Right. But clearly they plan for this Dish-designed Celero5G phone to access their forthcoming 5G network since, well, it has a 5G modem in it. Surely the plan isn't for it to only use AT&T and T-Mobile's 4G networks via Dish's prepaid budget brands like Boost.

Their 5g network is probably gonna be data based rather than usable for phones..in other words wireless internet..it wont be everywhere..just fixed locations

I agree. The access to WiFi not only at home, but also at other family members homes where I use their WiFi, etc. has me using very little data. However Covid has me at home more with WiFi, so I use very little data outside of WiFi. However, before Covid, I would be using more, but not a lot more, and the ONLY big use of data on the towers would be any LIVE streaming, especially Slingbox or Dish Anywhere, but even then I used only a few Gigs because I most often download content at home via WiFi (including Neflix and Hulu content) to watch off-line with no access to WiFi. That habit from the earlier days of truly expensive and limited data has stuck with me. I usually only stream LIVE for news, and that may be only for an hour. The irony is now that more data is offered and at more reasonable rates/plans (I use an MVNO), I have less use for towers for watching content because now Netflix and Hulu have content I like that is for downloading.I I have a fair amount already downloaded on the mobile devices.

The writer of the article asks if Dish can lure people away from the big carriers. Uh, MVNO's have tremendous growth the last few years with almost everyone saying, "Why didn't I do this [switch to an MVNO] before?" The real challenge is that there a so many MVNO's that Dish is entering a very crowded landscape and with Verizon taking over TracPhone and all its brands (that Carlos Slim is one smart Charlie Ergen cookie of Mexico), the competitions will be stiff, but Dish does have a fairly well-known brand, and they could even tie a bundle for Dish MVPD customers, but we'll have to see what happens.

However, Dish has been plain in saying that its 5G network and business plan will be more about enterprise users who can seriously use and have a desire for such low latency and very fast 5G for far more useful and important things (like driver-less vehicles among many uses) than a twenty-something being able to download a 90 minute movie in 15 seconds--as opposed to about minute+ on 4G/LTE. Oh, please, even Netflix now lets you start watching the content while you are still downloading it. We'll survive the additional 45 seconds.

The writer of the article asks if Dish can lure people away from the big carriers. Uh, MVNO's have tremendous growth the last few years with almost everyone saying, "Why didn't I do this [switch to an MVNO] before?" The real challenge is that there a so many MVNO's that Dish is entering a very crowded landscape and with Verizon taking over TracPhone and all its brands (that Carlos Slim is one smart Charlie Ergen cookie of Mexico), the competitions will be stiff, but Dish does have a fairly well-known brand, and they could even tie a bundle for Dish MVPD customers, but we'll have to see what happens.

However, Dish has been plain in saying that its 5G network and business plan will be more about enterprise users who can seriously use and have a desire for such low latency and very fast 5G for far more useful and important things (like driver-less vehicles among many uses) than a twenty-something being able to download a 90 minute movie in 15 seconds--as opposed to about minute+ on 4G/LTE. Oh, please, even Netflix now lets you start watching the content while you are still downloading it. We'll survive the additional 45 seconds.
Uh
MVNOs use big carriers..they are just resellers

However, Dish has been plain in saying that its 5G network and business plan will be more about enterprise users who can seriously use and have a desire for such low latency and very fast 5G for far more useful and important things (like driver-less vehicles among many uses) than a twenty-something being able to download a 90 minute movie in 15 seconds--as opposed to about minute+ on 4G/LTE.
Yeah, they haven't been totally clear about their 5G plans but I do get the sense that they largely plan to use that network for enterprise/IoT customers and perhaps even overflow/roaming for one or more of the big 3. And that will be in addition to having their prepaid cellular customers (Boost, Ting, Republic) use it too as they gradually upgrade to phones capable of accessing Dish's 5G bands. All of which is to say that we very well may not see Dish launch a fourth major consumer-facing cellular service intended to directly compete with AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile (which is clearly what the DOJ and FCC intended to happen when they allowed T-Mo to buy Sprint). Although perhaps, in time, they'll merge their prepaid brands into a single new brand.

The whole situation is still pretty murky and I'm honestly still not sure that I think Dish will end up building out their 5G network broadly enough and quickly enough to hit the deadlines the FCC has set for them.

Uh
MVNOs use big carriers..they are just resellers
Uh, like, your response post, Juan, is the definition of an MVNO. We all learned so much from it! Thank you for stating the obvious and redundant. Putting your humor aside, the point is Dish, with its ownership of Boost Mobile, is currently operating as an MVNO and will eventually operate as part MVNO and part 4th carrier network. Further, while the big carriers also own and operate their own "MVNO's" so to speak (and I presume you knew that?), they, too, have find gold in them there hills.

The fact of true MVNO's piggy backing on the big carriers network is irrelevant to the point that these MVNO companies have and continue to steal large numbers of customers away from the big 3 and on to their much less expensive services. The numerous TV commercials for each of them, including the Ryan Reynolds pitch for Mint Mobile is evidence of the all the MVNO"s momentum and why Verizon is picking up the grand-daddy of all MVNO's: TracFine inc, with its numerous brands for various segments of the market. Even the "MVNO's" owned by the big 2 (Verizon's was a diaster, and that is why they have bought TracFone, inc.) have impressive number of customers and are making money working both sides of the street. Expect MVNO businesses to continue impressive growth, and the fact that MVNO's piggyback on the big carriers is a fact that the vast majority of MVNO customers don't know, and--unless they are savvy and want to use, say, Verizon's network--don't care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts